Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal Detector Question ?????

XLT-user

A person I know is interested in a detector purchase.

I realized after talking with him my experience is limited to only Whites, and Fisher Detectors.

How about some input on the detectors available. Give him your feedback, and why you use what you use.

He intends to mostly coin shoot. In Parks, Old Home areas, and fields.

Thanks, and he will read your comments.He has reviewed the forum posts, and everyone lists finds. Few list the exact detector, and why they like it.

Part of the answer relates to a question. Is he really going to stick with this hobby or is he just dabbling to see if he likes it? I don't think you want the low end of any of the major manufacturers detectors but if he's just exploring and not hooked already, I think the T2, the Ace 250, some of the Tesoros, and many in the the low-middle price range will allow the potential for good finds without massive frustration. The next major break in price and function seems to be how useful target ID would be to him/her. On the other hand if he is the kind of person who starts a new hobby and goes crazy with it, you can then get into the debate about which of the top end detectors to get. Almost everybody's top end machines will find targets. At that level of sophistication of electronics there are as many opinions as there are people. I'd be equally concerned about good quality accessories, like digging tool and pinpointer, because hearing a target and spending too long or not being able to recover it will kill the enthusiasm as well as a toy detector. Regards...Jim

He might consider a used detector if he is uncertain that he'll stick to the hobby. Or you might take him out one day and show in him what we really do.

I have a DFX and Explorer II.

DFX:
I use for modern parks and heavy trash as I do not have a smaller coil for my Explorer quite yet.
Mostly using it for coin shooting and beach hunting.
Fair depth but it allows you to cover more ground quickly then the Explorer.

Explorer II:

Good depth, easy to use and has ferrous tones. (ferrous tones gives a low tone for iron)
I mostly use it for:
1. Beach detecting as it gives me good depth
2. Relic hunting as I can use ferrous tones and dig all none ferrous items
3. Coin shooting because it's does not show all the small coins as low conductive targets.
(It does give a good signal for small copper coins and such while the DFX is more unsure about those)

With a smaller coil it should do better on a lot of modern sites.

Good Hunting!
Eu

For the multi purpose uses you mention, I reckon there are many a choice. A few I would recommend:

Garrett - Ace 250 and the GTP 1350
These have enough power to get things fairly deep and enough features to make a newbie fee like he has something. This instills confidence.
The downside of these is they can be quirky at first.

Fisher - One of the CZ models
These are very deep and have enough features, too. Like the Garretts, they are easy to use initially and offer headroom to grow into.

Whites - some of the older ID models like the IDX, Eagle, etc. They are smooth in operation and,again, offer ease of use - with enough features to make a newbie fell like he has something.

Tesoro - I hesitate to recommend any but the DeLeon or the Cortez. The other Tesoro units are nice, and I've owned a'many of them, but they are beep and dig detectors. Most newbs today expect some "electronics" for their money and the mentioned models have that, giving the newbie the sense that he has something...

A common thread here is the options available in the form of user features. Things like notch and digital displays and so on may not entice the jaded purist or hardcore relic head - but most newbies aren't in that groove. They dont know about kilohertz and ground minerals and halo effects... you know, all the minutae we long timers love to drool over. Instead, it's important to them have something for their money; to get value, as it were.

Some would say that a newbie should keep it simple and there is merit in that argument. But newbies often feel cheated when they go that route. SO let them get some features to keep them interested.

I also suggest they follow Charles Garrett's advice and decide on a price they can afford, add a hundred dollars to THAT figure - and then make a purchase. That way they get a capable machine with plenty of features and functionality, which also offers eomroom to grow.

I also agree that one should get used gear when starting out - for all the reasons already mentioned.

Finally, and this is for you: commit to stick by your friend as he develops.

Beep & dig gives me great results I use the Troy line of machines because they are all weather hunting, love gold & coins. Tesoro has a great line of beep & dig machines as does Detector Pro. All the machines that I listed are light weight if that's important. I have many many machines in my stable but always go back to the beep & dig as there is no way to decide a pulltab from a good target both sound the same. For high trash party spots when I don't want to dig pulltabs and am not looking for gold pieces I go with the Whites 6000 XL Pro with the 5.3 coil it's analog meter is spot on you will miss gold jewelery but coin shooting is perfect. This season to date I've dug 8500 coins from parks, 25 silver rings, 10 gold rings and also have two buckets of beer caps/pulltabs and other assorted trash that weigh about 44 pounds its just part of the game. Dan

Like I stated, Whites, and Fishers are all I know. Thanks for the great replys Jack is reading every reply with great interest.
"You Guys are the best"..

If he's going to stick with it get an E Trac, or something with full spectrum. The really important thing is to have him go and read the posts in all the specific forums related to type of detector. I like MineLab so I recommend them. Others will give lots of recommendations for the ones they like. All of us have chosen one or two over all the rest for reasons that make perfect sense to us. He's not us, so he'll just have to spend lots of time reading all the forums, talk with you, maybe find a club and talk with the membership, and then take the leap. He's fortunate he has you as a mentor. Shop before you buy. Evaluate the price of course but more importantly examine the quality of the accessories different retailers offer in their package deals. Currently their is one who offers the highest quality accessories in a package deal. That information is also in a sub category on this forum. Really consider buying used from one of the forum sponsors or in the classifieds. Detectors depreciate like cars. Regards...Jim