Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal Detector Rack

virginia digger

I was wondering what y'all use to store your detectors. I've seen display racks that manufacturers give their dealers. I'm looking for ideas on hanging them on the wall.

Easy to do, most flexibility and versatile.. Works for me. Hope this is helpful...

detector rack.JPG

Well, you know all those old railway spikes you keep bringing home. (well I bring 'em home). Scored myself a 3 metre (bout 10 foot in the old measure) long plank of origan pine washed up on the beach when I was out detecting one day.

After scraping all the barnacles off, I hit it up with a propane torch just enough to give a bit of colour to the soft bits and then scrubbed it down with a heavy nylon brush. After that, it got a coat of some sort of clear varnishy stuff I found in back of the shed. Came up shmicko. Then I went down the the local supermarket and bought 2 x 2 Liter jugs of white vinegar, stole my wife’s plastic mop bucket, threw about a dozen of the spikes in it, covered them over with the vinegar and then promptly forgot about the whole thing.

About a week later my wife found her bucket. She was somewhat less than impressed by the bubbly brown goo that had now overflowed and permanently stained her mop bucket. Let’s just say, I was vigorously invited to remedy the problem.

On pouring the sludge down the drain in the backyard I discovered the old railway spikes were a shiny silver colour and completely clean of any rust or dirt. However, the same couldn’t be said for the mop bucket, it was a right off. So off to the hardware store goes I.

While there, I found a can of clear spray paint (and a mop bucket). Soon as I got home, I gave the railway spikes the once over with the clear paint and while it was drying marked off six even partitions on the board.

Using an 10mm wood chisel I cut 12 square holes 25mm deep and about 60mm apart in a horizontal line in the middle of each partition. The idea was to make 6 places to hang each of my detectors. (yes, I know, but how many golf clubs does a golfer have?) After lining up the spikes with the holes a gentle whack with a hammer makes you an instant fettler. The spikes went straight in and stuck fast leaving about 150mm protruding. Of course, you need to make them a tight fit. On one or two I had to reshape the hole just a little to prevent the wood from splitting but the tighter you can get them the better.

You can hang it on the wall any way you like as long as the fixture can handle the weight of the thing with your babies hanging on it. I hang all my detectors coil down except for the Excalibur which, because of its shape, gets hung with the two spikes through the coil. Not sure that hanging by the coil is the best thing for it but it ain’t broke yet. I hope this gives people a few ideas. I’ve seen a similar sort of hanger made with horseshoes but that required welding, a skill I do not possess.

Happy hanging……. I mean hunting. Black Crow.

Im with thepest, exact item I use! Stays flat against the wall and easy to put back or retrieve.

Black Crow, I like the idea of using the spikes. I dug dozens of them in the fields and woods around here. Only kept a few. I wish I had kept them all. Gen. Shermans troops pulled the spikes and made the famous "bowties" of the rails. Never found any evidence of the rails. The R.R. probably had them "repurposed" after the war. (East Central Georgia). Not sure I have enough talent to make a square hole with a chisel.

I built a 3 shelf rack out of old wooden pallets that I pulled from a dumpster some time back. I posted some pictures of it awhile back. It's nothing fancy, but it works well for its intended use. I can post some pictures of it if anyone would be interested. Good ideas posted here.

I built a 3 shelf rack out of old wooden pallets that I pulled from a dumpster some time back. I posted some pictures of it awhile back. It's nothing fancy, but it works well for its intended use. I can post some pictures of it if anyone would be interested. Good ideas posted here.
Me too.

The Pest, Odanscoils, and Vito, here are a few pic.'s of my metal detector rack that I built out of oakwood pallets. I built the 3 shelf rack so that the shelves could be removed if needed. I keep this upstairs in my History Room or my ( Hysterical Room as my wife calls it.) Thanks for your interest. Post up some pic.'s of the shelves you built if you will.
20231215_190918.jpg
20231215_190918.jpg
20231215_190835.jpg
20231215_190807.jpg
20231215_190918.jpg
20231215_190835.jpg
20231215_190807.jpg

The Pest, Odanscoils, and Vito, here are a few pic.'s of my metal detector rack that I built out of oakwood pallets. I built the 3 shelf rack so that the shelves could be removed if needed. I keep this upstairs in my History Room or my ( Hysterical Room as my wife calls it.) Thanks for your interest. Post up some pic.'s of the shelves you built if you will.View attachment 50446View attachment 50446View attachment 50447View attachment 50448View attachment 50446View attachment 50447View attachment 50448
Purty.
Mine ain't so purty.