Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal detectors

This maybe an old subject but is there any new technology coming out in the near future from any of the major brands? Thanks

Nope. Seems it's all just "whistles and bells". A far contrast to the lightening fast changes that took place in metal detector technology, from about 1975 to 1995-ish. In that ~20 yr. period, if your machine was a mere 3 yrs. old, you had a dinasaur ! But today, many machines 10 yrs. old are still competitive (and or very akin/similar) to whatever is currently coming out. Explorer, cz6, various beach PI's, etc.... are all remaining essentially the same. As if technology has hit a ceiling with the physics involved :(

cintitomcat said:
That sucks, with all the phone and computer tech you think something could be used for metal detecting.

This notion is always brought up in the lament over the slow-down of detector advancements: Since computers, cell-phones, etc.... are FAR AND AWAY improving in recent years (heck, we have entire computers on our cell-phones now!), then why isn't detectors therefore able to keep pace and improve as well ?

Here's the difference: All the advancements you see on cell phones and computers are all a factor of "faster and smaller". They still do the same thing as they did 20 or 30 yrs. ago: make calls and do computer functions. They just become faster and smaller.

But with the detector, it's relying on physics of seeing-into the ground. And you have a MAJOR impediment there that concerns the laws of physics: To see through that ground. NO FACTOR OF FASTER OR SMALLER solves that. There is only so much info that can be gained from the return signal. And only so many types (currently known) of signals that bounce down and back: BFO, TR, pulse, VLF, etc.... And each is facing the same impediment: Ground and minerals. Hence you can not change the laws of physics.

Perhaps if some new way was invented, that would be different. But in-so-far as "improvements" (ie.: faster and smaller) on BFO, TR, pulse, and VLF, they have reached a point of diminishing returns.

You can have the very latest all singing all dancing detector with new technology,but the bottom line its basically just a big lump of plastic with some electronics inside of it,does it find anything by itself ?? 'NO' its the skill of the operator of the detector that makes all the difference and not the detector.

What i am saying is you can have the most expensive detector on the planet that has just come onto the market,a total novice then goes and buys it and still finds nothing,but you give say a 30 year old detector to a experienced detectorist and he can then still find stuff,albeit not as potentially as deep as the newest detector,but on its own a detector wont find anything,it makes no odds what technology it operates on.

Totally in agreement with what Tom said........and I have been saying this for years............there is not a single machine on the market that stands out above anything else.
All new machines are sold to us with the promise of better features that will improve our finds rates, but in reality this is just marketing hype.There are old machines out there,as said above,that still compete on equal terms with the latest released models,which shows us that useful detector technology is at the same level it was years ago.

Good post. While it's true that machines with a) better depth, b) better TID, and c) better see-through/averaging DO help improve finds, yet a much bigger component is the user and the location-of-hunt.

Because I know a lot of guys with wonderful CTX, Etrac, etc.... that can hardly find a silver dime or wheatie. Because 1) they're not using it to its potential and 2) they're hunting boring spots (sandboxes, etc...)

A lot of coins I've found that date to the 1800's, were found at depths that even a radio-shack or harbor freight cheapie machine could've found. The trick was Location location location. Ie.: being on the spot during sidewalk tearouts and building demolitions, being out on the beach in howling storms and pouring rain hunting beach erosion, or having the gonads to get into exotic spots, researching new spots that no one else thought of before, etc....

About the only place where the top-of-the-line machines really do become necessary, is something like worked out park turf. In that case, sure, you need a little more than cheapie machine.

If they could put enough power in that processor to give me the ID ability of a Minelab fbs unit with the target separation of a Deus or Racer, that would be a breakthrough at my sites.

I would agree experience goes a long way when it comes to success, but, I've got to say technology has made learning much easier for the novice.

I did a test one day when friend of mine asked if he could try using one of my metal detectors. I thought this is a great chance to run a test as this guy has never ever touched or even read about using a metal detector. I gave him my DFX and did nothing but told him how to turn it on and to then just follow the directions. He actually did quite well and found only several coins and no trash. He said he just watched for the little picture to tell him what was there and only dug when it showed a picture of a coin.

After all is said above a $300 detector is basically on the same level as a upper end detector ? None can determine a gold ring from a pull tab ect. I new to the sport I"m trying to learn think I"m going with a mx5 . Good info on here.

Don't get me wrong I love my E-trac and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Just with the way computers are going you would think there would be some huge jump with detectors. A nice 3D screen with a live pic of whats under the detector would be nice along with an auto digging attachment would be awesome.:rofl: