Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metaldecting plug cutting tools.

I recently bought a plug pulling tool to make recovery's neater but the problem i have found is that the plug is too small! , i tried it out on ten targets (with an 8 inch coil for better pimpointing) but i could not get any plugs with the target in the plug, the diameter of the plug is only 2.5 inches, does anyone know if a plug cutter is available with say an 5 -6 inch diameter. This one i have bought is close to useless.:angry:

To my knowledge hole hog and several others out there are no larger.
These are made for well manicured lawns and such and if you hit a rock the unit is useless also..Probably up to debate but I know several units that I can pinpoint with almost on on a dime. In theory they should work well but a sharp digging tool cutting a flap and using a drop rag one can do a very neat job. In the summer pretty tough to prevent a brown spot , but know one fellow that actually waters the plug before tamping down. Myself usually do these yards in early wet spring or late fall when grass is dying anyway. Certainly takes practice but one can do a might neat job if they take their time...Two other drawback even if larger in diameter they dull quickly and are heavy to carry around...

I just use a KBar and a trowel in a yard to get the job done...note, the Tanto blade type KBar...you don't lose your tip with that type.

Do not use garden tools as they won't hold up..As fall as that 5 inch hole hog device....hit a rock and its useless and with larger diameter more chance to , also they dull quickly. Might want to work on your pinpointing skills to start with....

You would be at a risk of getting prosecuted if caught with this Plug cutting knife in uk. A superb "tool" for cutting plugs definetley! . Thats awesome for plug cutting. No way would i ever use a tool like that when out in a park or public place in the uk though. You usa guys can just about use what you want so it seems.

I used to work on a golf course and the cup cutters were replacable and were discarded when dull maybe you could pick one up at the local course.

Thats a great idea, if anyone comes up to me while pulling the plugs and asks me what i am up to i always have a good excuse - i can tell them i am making a golf course!:)

Even with an 8 inch coil i cant seem to pinpoint the target to within 2 .5 inches, i have tried but i am usually out by about 1 to 1.5 inches. Its hard to get dead center because the explorer has a motion pinpoint system which i dont like too much , it makes exact pinpointing tricky.

Ring Pro, have you ever used one of those hand-unit pin-pointers.I do agree with you that some parks will be a problem no matter what you do.In the mid 70s I was searching a park in Albuquerque. A gentleman that was watching me coin shoot asked if he could borrow a quarter. No, I didn't tell the bum to get a job,just a simple no. After an hour this guy comes back with park's maintenance and said "hey man he's the one I told you who's messing the park up".Anyway I was asked to leave because some bum made a complaint.At that time I was using a large screwdriver without cutting plugs to recover my targets and putting all my trash in a carpenter's apron.As a young Airman I didn't argue the point and left. Ron