Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metallurgy and conduction technology-Equinox

USMA67

I am posting in this forum because Equinox may offer an answer.

My question: Is technology available now (or being developed), that can definitively differentiate between metals other than the broad ferrous/nonferrous classification? To be precise, is there a way for a current metal detector (Equinox), or something in the pipeline, to specifically detect a silver or gold coin as opposed to a clad coin consisting of copper and a silver-colored nickel-copper alloy?

USMA67 said:
I am posting in this forum because Equinox may offer an answer.

My question: Is technology available now (or being developed), that can definitively differentiate between metals other than the broad ferrous/nonferrous classification? To be precise, is there a way for a current metal detector (Equinox), or something in the pipeline, to specifically detect a silver or gold coin as opposed to a clad coin consisting of copper and a silver-colored nickel-copper alloy?

No, there isn't way possible with current technology. Modern minelab tech bases a target response on 2 elements. 1- how much iron signal is in the response. 2- how much conductive signal is in the response. Because of this, factors outside of the metal competition affect the response. surface corrosion, target size, target shape and orientation as well as depth all affect response. Someone will have to develop an entirely brand new technology to differentiate buried targets based solely on composition.

Maybe I dont understand the question. .... but most of the FBS machine will show different locations for clad vs silver coins.... different tones as well. Even larger silver will drop on the upper from a silver quarter.

There are detectors where you can create your own program and dig only those signals.
A quick how too - Go into the learn function then you clear the screen. Next, run your desired targets over the coil (this tells the machine what you are looking for), then you save or just begging detecting.

BigTony said:
There are detectors where you can create your own program and dig only those signals.
A quick how too - Go into the learn function then you clear the screen. Next, run your desired targets over the coil (this tells the machine what you are looking for), then you save or just begging detecting.

That isn't identifying the target based on metal though, it's selecting a specific spot on the conductive scale. If you pick a $5 gold coin and scan it, then select only that response to be allowed in, you will still get aluminum tabs, large foil, and even small silver can read in that small window.

A little more to answering your question, as of today, there isn't a viable medium that preforms in ground spectra-graphic analysis which can delineate between different metals.

That is why I am picking up one of these...

https://tribogenics.com/products/

Imagine if it could image through eight to ten inches or so of soil...
[attachment 352751 watson.JPG]

I am thinking if we pool together a thousand dollars a piece, figure out how to hook a coil up to it we will be Au

Jason, I understand but that is as close to what he was asking for. As in the famous words of a manufacturer, "you have to dig some junk".

Anybody out there remember the Gold Spear? Had to be in contact with the item though.

Rich -