Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metered detector VS Tesoro Tejon

Craig

I decided to take my older metered detector out for a spin to help remove the cob webs. I automatically fell back into my old habits of looking at the screen once I had a good hit. Getting older, my laziness would kick in and I would move on :sleepy:.I did find a couple of pull tabs and 2 nickles. Several other clad coins.
Now as I am sitting here this morning, waiting to go to Church, I started wondering what I missed by not using My Tejon !
Having used my Tejon now for several months, I can go into a park and tell what a previous person has discriminated out when detecting or was like me just, looked at the screen and decided to move on.:detecting:
Finding two gold rings in a couple of days has me convinced that maybe my next detector should be another Tesoro !!!!!!! I have had one detector that I had to program for everything. Just seem to take out all the fun out of detecting:ranting:.
I guess I'll start looking at a new Tesoro as my back up and sell my metered detector. I guess the bottom line is I want to have fun detecting and not have to worry about all the bells and whistles

I read this all the time. "Metered machines make you lazy". I disagree. A detector doesn't make you lazy, it's your mind set. A person can be just as lazy with a non-metered machine. It's called the discrimination knob. You start detecting a park and recover 25 pull tabs right off the bat and you find yourself having to make a decision. Do you I turn up the disc knob or not. Same principle as looking at the meter. You make the choice. There are times when using my Tesoro's that I run the disc high enough to reject pull tabs and just go for coins and other times I run it low. Just depends on my mood.

When I use my Safari, most of time I hunt with almost no disc and hunt based on the how the target sounds. I dug a very old button the other day that read 11. This would typically be foil, but I think ring. That day I knew I was going to dig everything. Other days I may choose my "I don't have much time and I want to find silver" program.
Another site I was at with the Safari, there was so much brush around me and I was bent over most of the time just trying to get through it. Never looked at the meter. If it beeped it was dug. Recovered two indian heads, a lead soldier and some wheaties. Sure I dug lots of junk too.

Just my thoughts.

Dan C

I agree with Dan-o. It's the operator, not the machine. I use both types, having started with beep and dig detectors, it was easy to rely on the target response first, then add the TID reading before deciding to dig. That said, I have to watch the temptation to put too much faith in the TID which does indeed encourage laziness and dependence.
BB

I had trouble digging targets other than standard coins when i first went to a metered detector. It took a while, but I changed that habit.

I agree that it is mostly a frame on mind thing.

Still, the Tejon and Cibola do seem to find more than their share of gold.
tvr

I have to agree with you Craig. I had one of those newer metered machines from another company and the only thing I noticed with it is that is was sure great at finding junk. I didn't find that the meter assisted me one bit. Personally for me, it just made it more frustrating and more irritating with information overload. As you said, this is suppose to be fun, not needing another separate 500 page manual to figure out all the nuances. Sometimes simple is just better. For me, simple is the way to go as I want to have fun, not become an electronics technician trying to figure out my detector. To each their own though, some like all those bells and whistles and playing around with multiple programs and spending hours learning their machine. I'm not retired and don't have much free time, so I have to make good use of my very little detecting time and I'd much prefer something simple as opposed to having a machine with a long learning curve.

I have both and use both. One thing about the Tesoroes, pinpointing is so easy, recovery doesn't take that long.

I like using metered detectors while hunting someones yard, that is where you should 'cherry pick' coin signals. Once you have found that there are old coins in the yard, then use the metered detector as a non-metered detector. If I get an invite back (I fill all holes neatly back) and the yard is a good producer....... I will use a non-metered detector like a Bandido or Pantera with a seven inch coil and pound the area thoroughly.

I have one of each both Tesoro's, and like Dan-o depending on my mood and how much time I have I either set the disc low and dig most of the signals (tabs have fairly consistent reading on the DeLeon so if I run into a bunch I don't dig) however if I don't have much time or just want to find silver and copper coins I turn the disc all the way up and just cherry pick.

If you want to try this, find the mark on your disc dial where the tabs just break up-not where they "click" or are nearly rejected-but where they almost give a signal but break up. Mark this spot carefully and then proceed to hunt in foil reject. When you encounter a target, move the dial to this marked point and :
(1, If the target breaks up, it's in the tab area
(2. If the target goes silent, it's in the nickel area, and
(3. If it is still a good signal, It's in the coins area. All with one move!

slingshot said:
If you want to try this, find the mark on your disc dial where the tabs just break up-not where they "click" or are nearly rejected-but where they almost give a signal but break up. Mark this spot carefully and then proceed to hunt in foil reject. When you encounter a target, move the dial to this marked point and :
(1, If the target breaks up, it's in the tab area
(2. If the target goes silent, it's in the nickel area, and
(3. If it is still a good signal, It's in the coins area. All with one move!
My bad! just realized you had a Tejon and all you would have to do is set the second disc at the point where tabs just break up. Other Tesoro users can try this:clapping:

I have a Conquistador, I bought used, that was well marked as mentioned, by the previous owner, and I'm able to do nearly as well thumbing the disc knob as I can using the tid on my other machines. He even marked the point where zincs drop out. I hate to dig zincs as they are so often corroded, but I've retrieved a few jewelry items that respond in that range so i often dig anyway just to be sure.
BB