Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Method for using a Chest Mount CZ 20 & Scoop wading ?

I am right handd i hold the detector in my right hand sand scoop with the left. I usually cary it over my shoulder unless i am gridding then i drag my scoop so i know where i walked.If you do decide to drag it mine acts like a cheese grader and starts holding sand and get heavy so i have to stop and tap the sand out of my scoop. I do not tie mine off to anything i just carry it. It may help you more to have it tied off but for me it is not a problem.

Thanks PD. I usually go for long periods of time so the drag option will be a change up and how long I do it depends on how it glides or digs into the sand.

I guess the main thing I'm looking for--Targets located- do you change hands to scoop or just scoop left handed? If you dig left handed do you ever need the right hand to assist? If you do that is your MD tethered?
A lot of youtube show left hand MD and one hand right side digging. Problem is I never get to see the person -just a portion of what they do from a mounted camera.

30 yrs of Dirt and a little dry sand-I may change up and MD with my left at times-other than that I do everything right handed. Put down the MD to dig etc.
Never chest mounted & never did the water thing. Just looking for some input to form an initial game plan.

Thanks
GTzer

Here are some useful tips for wading.
Be safe, tell someone ere you are going, and when you'll be back. Wear a bag to put your finds in. Pick up everything you detect, then you won't be picking the same trash up every time you detect. Go slow. if you're finding coins and Jewellery you're in the right place. Don't worry what you get to start with, just concentrate on being able to improve your recovery rate and time each time you detect. Write own how many targets you recover each hunt.
Try to Detect and carry your scoop in the same hands as you do on land. Wade out to the depth you want to detect at. Turn 90' and walk along the waters edge detecting. Try not to look at the water by your feet, look to a point in front. Walk slowly to that point trying to slightly overlap each sweep of the detector. When you get a signal place your left for alongside it so that the target is next to your instep of your left foot. Place the scoop by your ankle and dig it in with your left foot, but before you lift the scoop place your left foot back alongside the scoop. Lift it and detect the hole. If there is no signal it's in the scoop. Shake out the sand and there's your target. IF the signal is still there dig again. If you practice this you I'll get your target first time very often after you get used to doing it. IF you find coins look around them for others lost at the same time. IF you find a broken or open necklace look round for the pendant. Try to come up with theories where the best places to look would be rather than just randomly hunting. Read books on wading and record what you've found and where you found it. You can only find what is there! Don't despair if you don't hit gold for ages! Enjoy hunting and the gold is a bonus. If you can learn which target signals are rubbish then you will spend your time much more productively, ad find many mer better targets each session. Learn the noise for a can, aluminium, and foil. It can takes ages to reover some targets, try and spend your time wisely.
There's such a lot to write but I'll stop there, I hope it helps you, god luck :)

WW-thanks for writing that all out-I do appreciate your time & consideration. In context to what I've written above-let me ask the primary question realting to your advice.

So-right handed with a chest mount-you suggest that I MD as I do on land, That would be (as described previously) except I have a scoop instead of a digger.

quote from above
"30 yrs of Dirt and a little dry sand-I may change up and MD with my left at times-other than that I do everything right handed. Put down the MD to dig etc".

That doesn't seem to be effecient. Plus I wouldn't have a PP or be able to put my MD down in the water.

quote from above
"I guess the main thing I'm looking for--Targets located- do you change hands to scoop or just scoop left handed? If you dig left handed do you ever need the right hand to assist? If you do that is your MD tethered?
A lot of youtube show left hand MD and one hand right side digging. Problem is I never get to see the person -just a portion of what they do from a mounted camera."

How do you do this portion of target recovery? Do you use 1 hand to scoop? Do you change hands and let the shaft hang on the coil wire or tether? or arm strap?
This is the type of info I'm looking for.

I've been MDing since '83. Had an interest in the water type for almost as long. I've done concentrated reading for the past two years.

quote from above
"Pretty well read on search patterns. Will employ Precise1 stress relief for the coil wire.
Fisherman here-got water shoes,waders, good wading accessories. Just looking for a little input on the method"

I do ok on dry sand-(xterra705)BUT-like dirt digging I get to put the MD down.

I just got a scoop that I can push in with my foot and I'll be in water with a chest mount (both are firsts for me) Of all the reading I've done-the one aspect that is rarely described is effecient methods of using a scoop and a chest mounted MD.

Again-I really do appreciate the time you spent writing that long description to help me. I'm certain that I have pasted some info from your previous inputs into my folder.

If I lived on the beach-I would just go out & teach myself. Shortest drive is 70 miles (1 way). I'm hoping for some input like-definintely use a tether......arm strap is your tether......... pick one hand for the scoop & one for the shaft ..... I suggest_____ slack from the chest mount to the shaft so it doesn't tangle .....etc.

Anything at all from the time you have traced the target and pushed the scoop into the sand to putting the target into the bag.

Thank you

I don't teather my detector to me, but I know lots of people that do. I guess you just have to practice and find your own way that works for you. I can lift my scoop after I've dug and it's full with one hand because I use a sneaky way of holding it! Don't tell anyone, but if you hold the shaft about halfway down by wrapping your arm around the outside of the handle to the inside so it's under your arm you can lift lots of weight very easily.
Another good practice is to Waggle the scoop back don't just yank the handle back when you're digging the target, you will bend any handle if you just pull it back. Wiggle to break the suction in the sand then slowly pull it back.
Let me know how you get on, good luck :)

Yeah, like WW said..you gotta come up with your own style, gear you like to carry etc...for whats its worth, I use my scoop like a hoe instead of a shovel. I dont try to get a deep target in the first attempt, I just hoe out a hole and stay after it. This is a very physically demanding sport, water hunting that is, everything is fighting against you, so a person has to come up with a "balanced" approach and kit so as to not wear out too soon. I prefer as little gear and doodads as possible, so its just the detector and the scoop, maybe a small bottle of water. You wll know when you get it right as you will feel really good and comfortably excersized instead of worn out in a particular area of your body. No matter what gear you use, if you can stay out and effectively cover more ground then the other guy, you will find the gold. I have no doubt you will be good at this, you have researched and thought about this a lot, are obviously committed to success, so now its just a matter of you learning on your own and reporting back so as to inspire us! Good Luck!:beers:
Mud

Oh! I liked to hip mount my CZ on the right side of my body, swinging coil right handed, and scooping left handed..I did not like the chest mount...it was in the way...also instead of swinging and arc in the water, I would sort of do a herringbone pattern my pushing and pulling the coil out and away from me side to side...its way much easier on the elbow..you will see!

Thanks WW-that's the kind of info I'm looking for. "Don't tell anyone", I won't but I think you just told everyone :) Yep-leverage-good thought.
Think I'll tether the shaft so it won't stress the coil wire if I have to put it down. (coil wire will be the only link between the shaft & chest mounted control box)

Waggle-got it. I've dug a lot of wet sand looking for fossils. Good advice. Unless the target is small enough to pass thru the scoop-I'll do a bounce shake on the bottom so I'm not lifting sand. Pool noodle section to cushion my shoulder on the handle. I may add a little handle to assist the lift method you described. That will be after I determine the sweet spot.

I should tether mine actually, I've broken one cable so far. Pool noodle is a good idea, I love this forum. Good luck and thank you :)

Mud & Water Wizard- thanks-good stuff.
Tether will hang- clip it on if I need it. Will keep the clip on the handle for travel & walking from car. Chest mount will be worn below ribs (almost a belt mount) center/right. Coil sweep-3-4' barely an arc (less cable stress). WW scoop method after recovery. Arm strap so I can reach into the scoop w right. Other than that-scoop left-MD right.

Stood and went thru the motions today. Couldn't go to the beach because of the replacement battery door DEBACLE.

Be aware that the replacement door requires a few hours labor if you have the 4-9v battery pak. :-(

As previously stated- there's plenty of info on almost every aspect of water hunting--precious little on this subject. After 30 yrs-got the land and dry sand effecient. Water is -different. But it's dtill about the effecient processing of targets.

Later today....finally.

Thanks

Be safe, tell someone ere you are going, and when you'll be back. Wear a bag to put your finds in. Pick up everything you detect, then you won't be picking the same trash up every time you detect. Go slow. if you're finding coins and Jewellery you're in the right place. Don't worry what you get to start with, just concentrate on being able to improve your recovery rate and time each time you detect. Write own how many targets you recover each hunt.
Try to Detect and carry your scoop in the same hands as you do on land. Wade out to the depth you want to detect at. Turn 90' and walk along the waters edge detecting. Try not to look at the water by your feet, look to a point in front. Walk slowly to that point trying to slightly overlap each sweep of the detector. When you get a signal place your left for alongside it so that the target is next to your instep of your left foot. Place the scoop by your ankle and dig it in with your left foot, but before you lift the scoop place your left foot back alongside the scoop. Lift it and detect the hole. If there is no signal it's in the scoop. Shake out the sand and there's your target. IF the signal is still there dig again. If you practice this you I'll get your target first time very often after you get used to doing it. IF you find coins look around them for others lost at the same time. IF you find a broken or open necklace look round for the pendant. Try to come up with theories where the best places to look would be rather than just randomly hunting. Read books on wading and record what you've found and where you found it. You can only find what is there! Don't despair if you don't hit gold for ages! Enjoy hunting and the gold is a bonus. If you can learn which target signals are rubbish then you will spend your time much more productively, ad find many mer better targets each session. Learn the noise for a can, aluminium, and foil. It can takes ages to reover some targets, try and spend your time wisely.
There's such a lot to write but I'll stop there, I hope it helps you, god luck :)
Everybodys an Expert......stoneshirt.

I tried carrying my scoop. Got tiring after a bit of time. Tried dragging it. Dang thing filled up with sand and had to stop every few feet and dump the sand. I then went to one of those big box home improvement stores and got a Tool Lasso. I put the bungy cord around the handle of the scoop right at the scoop. Put the receiver on my belt. Turn the scoop upside down and carry the scoop on my belt. Works for me.

Thank you,Mister Wiki.