Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metrotech 220A

I bought one of these recently after seeing one at a local museum ( the white oak civil war museum in case anyone is wondering ). The man who runs the museum was kind enough to show it to me when he saw I had some interest in it. He then told me that you wouldn't find nails with it, and when he lowered it to the floor it nulled on all the nails and gave a solid signal on a coin placed on the floor. I bought one to use in some of the iron infested home sites I hunt. I have found what I think is a design flaw, the shaft is made of aluminum and when I tilt it to different angles the detectors signals on it.
If anyone knows anything about this machine I'd like to hear it. I think I'm going to start collecting vintage metal detectors now, I think they're very cool.

The Metrotech was introduced in 1963, according to what I've gathered on it. It was ahead of it's time. The best for coin-hunting in an era when other machines struggled for 1 or 2" depth. There were a lot of metrotech's doing the dry sand of southern CA beaches (although I don't think they'd work on the wet). And a lot of metrotech's got used in CW sites. By the late 1960s, other makers had cornered the hobbyist market (starting having better products), and Metrotech stopped concentrating on the hobbyist market. They tended instead to deal with the industrial market instead (pipe-finders, etc...), which I think had been their original market anyhow, since the beginning (but hobbyist had just wised up to how good they were).

I've never persnonally used or handled one. But based on what you're saying about it nulling on nails, it might be an all metal TR (not to be confused with a disc. TR). Either that, or it was a BFO (did it have a "motorboat" sound?). Because I think some BFO's had an innate ability to reject iron too.

And if it's an all-metal TR, don't confuse the ability to null or reject nails, with what you know of as regular disc. nowadays. Because sure: discriminators today will EASILY reject iron, right? The difference of the all-metal TR, was that you could put a coin right under a nail or two, and still get the coin (ie.: no masking). But the "trick" seemed to fizzle out by the time you added the 3rd or 4th nail, haha.

Other all-metal TRs were famous for this. Like the 77b, which arrived in about 1971, if I've got my dates right. And so yes: they'd be good in ghost-townsy areas, where a carpet of nails exist, to be able to pluck conductors from beneath the nails.

However, the good news ends there. In all other ways they had drawbacks:

a) they lacked depth.

b) they were poor in minerals.

c) they lacked any other form of disc, other than small iron. Hence everything from foil to silver dollars all sounded the same.

d) there's actually machines on the market now, that do a decent job at seeing through and around iron, WHILE retaining ability in bad ground, and having TID (that's helpful for when the target is not masked, hence not "averaging). Various 2-filter machines that Tesoro makes , and the Whites classic series, are good for this (although not as able as the 77b, or the metrotech you saw). Or try an X-terra with 6" HF coil. A buddy of mine was effortlessly pulling conductors from respectable depths, with handfuls of nails coming out of the same hole.

So there's very little you can't find now, to closely replicate that ability. But from a "vintage" collector's standpoint, yes: the metrotech stands out as one of the "must have" machines of the early 1960s!