Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Microprocessor

Frank-S

I need to learn about how to work with microprocessor's.
I am trying to modify a CS4 pi, first the coil,best dept 8'' coil air test
10'' on a gold ring
CS4 has a microprocessor #pic16c711-o4/p
I need help will some one tell me the microprocessor numbers of
The TDI,TDI pro and SL pi. the CS4 and all TDI are designed by the same person.
Maybe i can learn with your help.If you don't wont to post it,use this email.
fjs5015@yahoo.con
Thanks Frank.

http://microchip.wikidot.com/8bit:summary

It takes development tools, knowing how to use those development tools, understanding the architecture of the chip you're working with, and (with most 8-bit microcontrollers) the ability to write assembly code. Otherwise you'll have to code it in C, unless you'd prefer to write your own Forth compiler. If you're fiddling with an existing design for which you don't have sourcecode, you'll also need to be skilled in the art of reverse engineering machine code, a job that even Chinese counterfeiters prefer not to attempt.

Frank, I wrote the TDI & SL code. Unless you can get White's to give you the source code, you'll have to do like Dave said and start from scratch. That means figuring out all the controls and pulses and recreating everything. Once you get it working like the original, then you can make changes. If you already know how to write C code and you're familiar with PIC chips, this will take several weeks of full-time work. If you're just starting out, about a year.

Thanks Dave
It looks like this might be over my head.I am still going to give it a try.
One reason I asked for the TDI pro and SL microprocessor number's the CS4 is
designed by Eric,it looks like a lower version of CS6 pi with no 555 timer,Has some of
same IC's. the CS4 microprocessor is mounted on a socket,if I can get the TDI and
SL micro- chip numbers I can try them in the CS4 to see what they will do. It might
damage CS4 it's worth risk.
Dave Thanks again.
Frank.

Thanks Carl
You wrote the TDI & SL code. Can you give me the TDI & SL microprocessor numbers
with out getting in trouble with White.
Frank.

Buying a PIC16F is easy and cheap, once you've decided which one you want. But without code, all it's good for is to glue it onto the box as a hood ornament.

Thanks Dave
I will keep in mind what you and Carl are saying it will point me in the
right direction. making mistakes is part of life. asking question helps to make
less mistakes.fell free to point out what you think I value your input.

My advice is this: if the microprocessor works, don't even think about "fixing" it. If it doesn't work, send it back to the factory to be repaired.

If you check out that geo-something website, I think you'll discover that among all the real engineers who hang out there, not one has messed with microcontroller firmware on a product for which they didn't have sourcecode, a development system, knowledge of processor in question, and knowledge of coding. If you have all that except the sourcecode, you're just as dead in the water as if you had none of it.

Thanks Dave
Every thing in CS 4pi workers, i just won to change timing of pulse delay.
That why I asked for numbers of TDI pro and SL TDI. I have a SL, wont opean
it, it''s still under warrenty. I was going to try different microprocessor's in CS
to see what it will do.I still need to learn what pins controal pulse delay.

For now i have to stop working on CS.

1st gen TDI (as designed by Eric) had no micro. 2nd gen TDI used an Atmel micro (I don't know which one) that was added by White's. For 3rd gen TDI I changed the Atmel to a PIC, again, I don't recall which one.

The SL uses a different PIC than the TDI, seems like its a 16F76 or 16F86. You can open your SL and see, it doesn't void the warranty. But this whole exercise is moot, there's a brick wall looming that's gonna stop you dead in your tracks. I wrote the SL code, and if I were to do it again from scratch I could probably get it working in a few weeks. If you've never worked with micros, then the job is overwhelming.

BTW, you can't just plug in different micros, they usually have different pin-outs. You're likely to damage something.

Frank,

It appears that you think I gained depth on the old CS 6 and Beachscan by reducing the delay. Well, that is basically wrong. I reduced the delay to be able to detect what were called "invisible nuggets". At the time, no PI I knew of would detect certain nuggets found in Greaterville AZ area. A challenge was put out by John Blennert to build a PI that would detect them. I did that back a few weeks after receiving a couple of the nuggets. That was over 10 years ago.

The extra depth gained at that time was accomplished mainly by modifying other circuitry to increase the overall gain. This same procedure of modifying other circuitry would or should work on the CS 4 to increase the depth capability.

If you are determined to shorten the delay, there are much simpler ways of doing that without modifying the Microprocessor program. Instead, if more depth is what you desire, you need the schematic so you can see the easiest way to increase the gain. Spend your time drawing the schematic if you can't find it on line. It will be easier than trying to fool with the micro.

Reg

Reg
What ever you changed 10 years ago it worked, I am at library if i rember right the CS4
IC's are up graded now same as the IC we changed 10 years ago.CS4 only has three IC's no
555 timer, its in the microprocessor.We only changed one IC with two resisters.Back then.
and a 555.
For now I going to stop talking about CS6 its a old pi detector with poor dept,the
price of a old one is more than a new one cost 10 years ago.
Thanks for your in-put
Frank