Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Might as well ask...

A

Anonymous

...if there is anybody that knows what this was used for.Found it around the site of stables at an abandoned saw mill (1850-1920's).The square end is on a different plane than the handle (if you sit the tool flat along the handle's lenght, the square end would be lower but parallel).The total bend in the handle is about one inch.It's a bit more than a foot and a half in lenght.It's hand forged so probably made earlier rather than later.It was used for many years as the top edge of it has been worn by a nail from where it must of have hung.I have a good idea about this one so I'm curious if others will think the same way.

...maybe for the nuts on the circular saw blade at the mill?

...but I'm gonna let others try.The square is about 2"x2".I find alot of square nuts, like you mention,that were used with long bolts to brace corners on barns and so on.This is a bit bigger than that.
I'll give you a clue.I was watching "Little House on the Prairie" when I saw Charles Ingalls take one out of his tool box once.Think horses.

I had a chance to try it on an old wagon myself.It would work just fine.

I have a few for putting on my western boots. That actual handle is different though
Sunny skies
M