Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mike, here is something to try......

Ralph Bryant

If you haven't already tried this, find a "reasonably sure" rusty bottlecap signal, then angle your coil at about 45 degrees from perpendicular, and slowly re-sweep the target with the right or left edge of the coil closest to the ground moving about 1 foot either side of the target. Tried this today with some interesting results in our ground conditions, something I've done with the Nautilus and just thought I'd give it a try with the T-2 DD. I noticed here a very distinct break-up in the bottlecap signal, while a "real" quarter continues to signal good. In most cases, the audio in audio mode "3" would break to a mid-tone when sweeping in one direction, and a high-coin tone sweeping in the other. Tilting of the coil gives a different perspective of the target to the detector, and coins tend to retain their good audio signal while a round ferrous objects audio will change more noticeably. Let me know if it works in your ground.

Ralph

I'll give it a try my next time out.

What I'd like and what I'm looking for is something fast. In the modern sites, its all about clad and jewelry anyway. Some may look down on clad hunting, but it adds up and spends well. There are lots of folks who end a year with $500 dollars or more just in clad. When you're coin hunting in these sites, you just want to hear that high tone repeat and then retrieve the coin. The more time you have to spend trying to figure out if a coin tone is a coin is wasted time.

So the goal for me is to find a very fast way to tell the difference between a rusty cap and a dime/quarter when I hunt sites where those are the primary trash target.

It is even more important when you are digging 6" or greater holes for a high coin signal only to retrieve a bottle cap. Sure you sometimes will be fooled, but you want to get to where the majority of the time, you can call a high tone coin signal as coin and be right, and same with the caps, without spending a minute or two on every high coin tone.

Now...when I use the T2 in places where rusty caps are not the primary trash target, it is sweet in both the 3 and 4 tone modes and makes for a very enjoyable hunt.

I guess this should lead into a poll to see how often folks hunt sites where the steel bottle cap is the primary trash target.

Happy :detecting:

Try different sweep speeds.Try a real fast sweep speed over the cap then try a quarter.The cap may break up as you increase the speed and the quarter should get stronger.

Thinking about trying a T-2 but you guys are making it sound like WORK.. I dont work that hard at Work. Bottom line... is the detector (T-2) worth it ,compared to other units that are not so mind boggling???????? I used a cz for a long ,long time,actually since they first came out.. Now trying an xl-pro...... have tried most other units also....what do yoou think?????Sonny

Can't wait until I can take it out and hunt for something besides caps :crazy:

I had gone to an old park to hunt for silver, but the ground was too dry to dig in, so I was on my way to another spot when I came across an area right off the main street where a lot had been cleared and the sidewalk removed. Since it was about the same age as the park area (1930s) I thought I'd stop and hunt the sidewalk area.

It was lumpy where the dozer had pushed and pulled the dirt and there were sheered sections near the gutter. I started at one end and went down, then back up, then back down where the sidewalk would have been. Didn't hunt the lot itself as I didn't have permission and there was no one around to ask. The T2 was a joy to use there. The coil was a bit big for the lumpy ground, but other than that it was fine. The only coin I found was a '57 wheat cent but it was fun, not work.

The wife likes to hunt too, but her arthritis doesn't allow her to get down so when we go together, I take her to the school sandlots to hunt. The T2 is a joy to use there, fun, not work.

I used the T2 at an old boarding school where I have permission. They water the grass everyday. Not much trash beside old iron. Went over the same area I'd been over before with the Cortes, Golden, and the CoinStrike. The T2 was a joy to use there. Pulled out a number of dimes and copper cents I had missed before, probably due to using a DD coil as compared to a concentric. I hope to go back there this Sunday morning if work permits.

I used the T2 at a soccer field. Probed dimes. It was fun, not work.

Sonny, guess my point is that I'm feeling obligated to hunt bottle caps, which is work, instead of just coin hunting, which is fun.

Happy :detecting:

come to vincennes,In. the oldest city in the state.. you will have a field day with bottle caps.. The main park here use to be the late 1800's ,early 1900's fair grounds,, all the bottle caps you can imagine???? maybe the T-2 would get a workout ????.. We have hunted it pretty hard over the last many years,but still find silver.....