Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mike (Virginia Beach), what's latest on the "big.........

Mike, what's latest on the "big aluminum scoop"? I remember you purchasing and posting about it (my search only found ref to it). Do you use it? How well does it work in WET sand (surf line-up)? Is it one of the ones with the scoop angled almost like a shovel, or more 90 degrees? Would like to know what where/what, comments, etc., for I plan to purchase a long handle scoop soon. Would you recommend it? TNX

Shagger, here's the picture again, of my old scoop and my new scoop.

I have to admit though, that I'm torn between them. The old scoop is very excellent to use in the dry sand, wet sand, and the shallow water. It's strong too...I can really dig bear down on it with my foot to shove it into the sand, and I do dig some DEEP holes. It's lightweight, has a long handle, drains easily in the water, fairly easily in the wet sand (you have to shake it some, but it's pretty quick) and easily in the dry sand...where I don't do much hunting. On the downside, it has cost me a few potentially good targets because it lacks volume. It takes me 4 scoops to do with it what I can do with one or two with the newer one.

The newer one: It's longer. It holds A LOT more. It's stronger. It punches down deep on each thrust into the sand. Most targets can be gotten in one or two tries. It's a lot lighter than you would think, almost as light as the old one. But it is heavier and even though it's only a little, it's noticeble after a couple/few hours. But not unbearable. On the downside, it does not shed it's load easily in the wet sand. In the water it's ok, but in the wet sand it's a bee-yatch. So I have to shake it vigorously with both hands OR take it in the water and slosh it out. It's tough. And it's overkill for the dry sand. So I've used it a few times but I'm tending to use my old one right now most of the time. The last few times out it's been kind of rough and the waves were breaking where I would want to be in the water anyway, so I've been mostly in the wet and maybe mid-shin deep water. If I were down there when it was calmer and I'm in the water more, I'm sure I would prefer the big scoop. If you are pretty much strictly wet sand, one that's more like my older one might be better. But then again, when you are at the water's edge and fighting the incoming surf it's real easy to lose a gold ring in a hole that keeps getting deeper as the target sinks and the surf comes in. I've cursed my old scoop for that reason and my new one for the others. So...does that help any? :lol:

I got both of them from KellyCo. The aluminum one is the one-piece "6061" 46" and the other is the Beachmaster Powerscoop 36" one-piece. It's a great scoop, despite it's size shortcomings. I've dug 1000's of deep wet sand targets with it.

Thanks for your response Mike. As you are aware, I continue to watch for Minelab's Backhoe option for the Quattro, but in the mean time I'm looking for alternative to 6" x 8" spade and separate wire mesh hand scoop. I wondered about the drainage/"shedding" of wet/damp sand with the BIG "6061". I figured that the wire mesh would be much better for wet sand (which is 95% of my hunting) but thought I should get confirmation. I find it interesting that most Ads say how easy the scoops with the holes drain dry AND wet sand.

Guess I will search for a BIG scoop with wire mesh and an external-skeleton which is strong enough to be "kick-started". Know of any of those? Again, THANKS Mike for your candid response!

Glad to help. And I will also add that after your inquiry, I again took the big scoop to the beach last night and I am very definitely preferring the 36" Beachmaster scoop, despite the extra work I have to do with it. It's far superior to a hand scoop and the big one just will not empty sufficiently. While it is definitely a masterpiece as far as it's construction and quality, it's strictly an -in-water scoop. And I'm seeing that having the right scoop for the type of hunting you do is pretty important to having a happy hunt.

Just for clarification, the 6" x 8" spade mentioned in previous email is made from old military type shovel (trenching tool) with a wood handle and an overall length of 46". It works pretty well for "one hand" digging and throwing the wet sand in piles. Then I use the mesh wire hand scoop once I identify which pile "holds" the fine. Just trying to save a step with a new scoop. Again thanks!

Hey Mike I have the plan to mod my scoop for wet sand.
Weld shop said material i need will be in next tues so
i hope to have scoop ready for next weekend if you want to see it
before you buy one.

Darren

for the rest of ya`ll i will be taking my big aluminium scoop and remove most
of the bottom and replacing it with alum. wire mesh that has 1/2" square holes
the plan is to have a large scoop that you can step on like a shovel but emptys like the wire ones.

Darren, that sounds good man. And if it works out, I sure would like to get mine done. It will be interesting to see how that wire holds up welded to the rest of the scoop.

I have one of the old "Beach Brutes" long handled aluminum scoops. I've had it for about 15 years and it has required one small welding fix over the years. It is made with 3/4 in. aircraft aluminum and even though the handle is 54 in. in length it is quite light. I usually hunt in the surf here in Fla. but when I do hunt dry sand I still use the same scoop as it moves about a gallon of material in each scoop. Finds are quickly located which means more time hunting and less time pinpointing. By the way, I use a Headhunter PI with an 11 in. coil so many targets are in the 12 in. deep range or better. As far as wet sand hunting goes, I take a big scoop, recheck the hole to make sure I have it in the scoop, and step into the surf to shake the scoop clean of small shells and sand. The scoop has 9/16ths holes in it. It really doesn't take long to locate a target with practice. I firmly believe that by buying the larger scoop, I can tackle all situations from neck deep to dry sand and I do not have to have money tied up in different scoops for different situations. This is what works for me. By the way I got 2 gold rings this week and one silver. I'll post pics later. therick:super: