Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Military Beach = 10K Gold Ring

Went to one of the local military beaches here in San Diego a couple days ago. Ran the TDI Pro in the "low conductivity" setting once again. Most of the sand on the beach had washed out to sea, but there was enough sand left for a decent dry sand hunt. Found all the usual "low" targets: brass, aluminum, thin wire, foil, bottle caps, nickels, and a 10K gold ring.

The highlights of the hunt were: a live .223 ammunition (blank/unfired - brass), a USMC key chain bottle opener (aluminum), 4 crusty old nickels (been buried a long time), and a small 10K gold ring (stone missing) that weighed 1.3 grams.

Richard
San Diego

You did well in getting all those pulltabs, bottle caps, and other junk out of the sand and into the trash or recycling where it belongs. I've had people come up and say "thank you" for doing it.

On the 10K ring ... Every time a ring comes up like that, with the stone missing, I spend time just rooting around in the ground hoping to find the stone. So far, I haven't found any -- not even one. I wonder where they went? Maybe the ring sinks deeper than the stone, maybe off to one side?

Cheers,

Joe

Gamma_Joe said:
You did well in getting all those pulltabs, bottle caps, and other junk out of the sand and into the trash or recycling where it belongs. I've had people come up and say "thank you" for doing it.

On the 10K ring ... Every time a ring comes up like that, with the stone missing, I spend time just rooting around in the ground hoping to find the stone. So far, I haven't found any -- not even one. I wonder where they went? Maybe the ring sinks deeper than the stone, maybe off to one side?

Cheers,

Joe
Same with me found a stone that fell out of a ring I just found in same hole!
Found a sterling money clip that had a coin mounted on it turned up same hole 1911 gold half eagle!!!
I almost thought I was dreaming when I pulled out a handful of soil and saw the gold coin!!

Thanks for all the replies! There are times where it feels like I am in the business of cleaning the sand, but then out pops a gold ring. People on the beach have generally been very positive about all the trash they watch me remove - great PR for metal detecting!

I'm pretty new to the TDI Pro - been experimenting with it for about 6 months - super impressed by the way it discriminates against iron on the beach. It hits hard on aluminum (can scraps, pull tabs, foil), stainless steel (knives, forks, hardware), brass, lead (sinkers, solder), bottle caps, nickels, and thin steel wire (bag ties, bobby pins). In the "low" conductor setting it ignores pennies, dimes, quarters, nails, tent stakes, rusty bolts, and all kinds of other junk out there.

By hunting in "low" conductor only the odds of finding gold are definitely increased. I feel like it is an advantage - most days on the beach there are one or more other detectorists hunting in the same area, so anything that helps eliminate unwanted targets makes for a more productive hunt. Target recovery is a lot faster too - I don't spend time trying to analyze the signal to figure out if it's good - if it beeps I'm already starting to dig it up.

Good luck out there!

Richard
San Diego