Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

military button found. please help ID

hellgrammite123

Hello Everyone,

I went out detecting yesterday at a 1700's home site in southeast NY. I found this button about 3 inches deep in what was bone dry soil using my AT Pro. Had Pro mode zero with no discrimination. The site has been hunted a few times by others so I was listening in between all of the iron for the best repeatable signals I could hear. I had a repeatable 72 - 73 and I dug up this button. Behind the button was a metal wire, about a few inches long and very thin, with what is metal disk of some sort. The metal disk is what kept the wire attached to the button. My thinking is the wire was attached to something like a piece of fabric like a coat.

I believe it is a military button lost by possibly a soldier? I don't think it is from the 1900's. Not thinking civil war as none of those buttons have matched this one. Could be revolutionary war but thinking french and Indian war. This area was fought between the state of NY and NJ in the mid to late 1700's as NJ wanted to retain their land. Can someone let me know what type of button this is? Or at least point me in the right direction to do some research? I have been through many sites and images and nothing is similar.

The button has a shield, 13 stars and a bird (thinking its like a eagle). Made of copper based on the nice patina it has. Also is the size of a modern clad nickel.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt