Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Military Pin?

Billium

Dug this at a 1913 house yesterday. Definitely military but what branch and what was it used for? The Stem on the back is threaded, and bent over.
Also found the "tootsie toy" roadster. Thought it was cool too.

My guess is US Army Hat Badge Insignia, WW2 vintage, missing the fastener. What is the size?.

2 - 21/2" by 1"?
The fastener is a threaded stud on the back but it is bent over.
I think you are correct. I was just doing a little Google research.

Yeah that's what it is. I was in the US Army circa 1974-1977 and we had the same insignia but it was mounted and removable from a rounded brass backing, it has the threaded post as too, it goes on the Visor Cap, when I was in the Army called it the Bus Drivers Cap for slang. That

Awesome! Thanks Ant! My uncle was a WWII vet which makes this find a little more sweet. :clap:

Sorry. I am military rank ignorant. Who would wear this pin? Rank/position/duties?

I would say I need to have a clearer photo and one of reverse to make that call, at least for my old eyes but here is some more information.

US Army Enlisted Visor Hat Badge:
264.jpg

http://www.colbubbie.com/wwiioriginalusarmycapdevice264.aspx

US Army WW2 Officer Visor Cap Badge:
247_Insignia_144.jpg

256_Insignia_145.jpg

http://www.overlordmilitary.com/insignia.html

US Air Force Officers Hat Badge:
396_Insignia_108.jpg

http://www.overlordmilitary.com/insignia.html

Another view of the WW2 US Army Enlisted Visor Hat Badge:
armyemvisorbdgwwiiobv.jpg

armyemvisorbdgwwiirev.jpg

The one you have found looks like the enlisted type, note the cluster of stares is different.

The Air Force hat badge is silver colored and the Army Enlisted is exactly like it but brass. But back in WW2 the US Air Force did not exist until, it did not come into being until 1947. Prior to that it was called the Army Air Corps.

It looks exactly like the last one ( WW2 US Army Enlisted Visor Hat Badge) but tarnished and well worn and without the big backing disc. I imagine some kids were playing with it and lost the backing disc and retaining nut. Judging by the pictures you found the disc is a separate piece.

Thanks again for another web site saved to my favorites.

Update.
I met a Air Force veteran officer this weekend. He tells me this pin is an officers pin. Army or Air Force. He said he couldn't comment on the Marines "they are a different bunch". Ha Ha!