Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab 5x10"-18.75khz VS the10.5" DD 7.5khz results

bd1024

Hi everyone. --- I recently got back into metal detecting, and bought my 3rd X-terra 705, ( haven't had one for about 4 years)-----I really like the machine, and it is my #2 "go to" machine. --- previously I had every coil that Minelab made for the X-Terra, ---(no Coiltek coils)---- Not wanting to spend that much money this time around, I purchased the "Gold PacK" detector with the 5x10 HF coil. I owned it previously, and really liked it due to it's light weight. ----- I decided to add another coil, so I purchased the Minelab 10.5" 7.5khz coil this week. ------ Long story short, I got out all 4 of my detectors, and did some air tests. --- The winner was another brand with a aftermarket coil, ( but only by 5 points)---- Second place was the 705 with the 10.5", 7.5khz, DD coil----Surprisingly, 3rd place was the 705 with the 5x10DD with the 18.75khz coil. -----I understand that this is an "air test" , but I attempted to put all detectors on a even playing field, --) 0 Disc, wide open sensitivity. -----The end result being very little difference between the 2 Minelab coils, maybe the numbers are different in the dirt, but for what it's worth, I'm putting the 5x10 back on my 705. --- to me, the added weight of the 7.5 DD coil is not worth lugging around for the very small gain in detection ability. ------ Here is the chart comparing the 2 Minelab coils, on the same machine. ---- Thanks for your time.

Thats my favorite Xterra coil, the 5X10. Its super sensitive to small gold, good depth, good coverage and light as a feather.
The 9" concentric hi frq will get you a little better depth and you can wade with it.

The results of air tests will always be skewed and therefore worth very little. The machine needs something to GB against.
Just for grins, try your test again, only this time set GB to 90 Manual.

Old Longhair said:
The results of air tests will always be skewed and therefore worth very little. The machine needs something to GB against.

If his ground balance in his area is,let's say 50. And he sets his gg manually to 50 before he air tests,would he get the same results as he would in ground,or close to it?

Bigtom123 said:
Old Longhair said:

If his ground balance in his area is,let's say 50. And he sets his gg manually to 50 before he air tests,would he get the same results as he would in ground,or close to it?
Probably not.
Just because he uses the same amount of phase angle shift for compensation, he still can't simulate actual mineral content present in that ground.