Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MINELAB COIL CONSTRUCTION

daverave

i have a minelab sovereign elite and the stock coil is too heavy for me...is there any way i can make my own coil...is the coil just like normal 2D as in VLF....can anyone give me construction details ????

Remember you will not make lighter coil first, second time or first year, but you can try. I think lighter coil is smaller or like COILTEK 10X5 LITTLE JOEY COIL FOR SOVEREIGN, or reed this forum http://www.geotech1.com/forums/activity.php

daverave.
I have been useing Minelab Sov, for years they are heavy,try going to a hip mount.
its a old over rated design,the only good feature is it ground tracting features,you can almost
use it any-wear.compaired to dept its poor compaired to detectors made in the last 8 years.
I have a Sov, GT also, you dont wont one.
If hip mount dont work for you.try a fisher, teknetic, or garrett.they are light and go deeper
than the Minelab Sov.Before you get another detector,check out its field test.
losttreasure.com has a good selection of field test on most all detectors.

Since i wrote this artical im not sure if i like minelab anymore...ive been using it on the beach and it has so many niggles..like threshold dissapearing on non ferrous and confusing tones...and sometimes spitting noises....plus very heavy to swing around...if you search fast then you can loose good targets and very poor recovery speed....to be honest i find more with my tesoro stingray which is more user friendly and straight forward to use......yes it will false on wet sand but ive got use to that and im finding far more with my tesoro than this over rated minelab machine.

Dave, you might have sensitivy to high swing the detector at what-ever speed
you like I use all-metal setting when I hit a target go to Dis- NON FERROUS,if
its a good target I dig it.
cut sensitive back until noise stops,experment with it.it will work in salt water.
I have found more gold rings in water than land.use your tesoro in soft sand or away from
wet salt san, it might go deeper.Good luck.

i have the sens turned fully up...i should have said the threshold blanks on ferrous...also signal very wide instead of narrow like my tesoro making pinpointing harder....recovery speed very slow maybe loosing good items near iron...im just a bit daunted by this machine...tesoro none of these problems

Dave
Set threshold at slight low hum,if you are in or near wet salt water back off
on Sen;if you are in soft white beach san,you should be able to use full sen;
depending where you are at.if this dont work your battery needs a charge or its
no good.or your detector is defective.
Never use full Sen; at first. adjust Sen;to where you are detecting.

many thanks for your advice....i will try and persist with this machine....today ive added a toggle switch in the handle so i can switch into all metal easy which i thought maybe could help me with the pinpointing problem...i prefer single tone response as the multi tones confuse me.....i think multi tones on any detector a bit of a pain to get use too...i must say the iron rejection is spot on with the sovereign elite.....im yet to find a gold ring with any detector....i seem to find crap rings like stirling silver which makes me feel very dissapointed.

Dave, I dont know where you are detecting, if its on a beach or lake you will fend
more rings in the water. your detector will work in shallow water,wo-man sit in water
to let off gass.there hans are in water there fingers swrink up rings fall in the water.
check it out you might find that gold ring.

yesterday i was searching my local beach with my tesoro stringray and at last i found a really good ring which weighs 16oz 22ct gold with diamonds and an emerald...so im very happy now !!!! i think i will use my minelab when a bit more depth is needed.....when you talk about water searching do you mean the puddles left on the beach when the tide go's out ??? im not good at reading beaches.

Dave. Yes the puddeles are avery good place to detect, also any
place where you see people sitting in shallow water- any tide.

thanks Frank for all your good advice....im only starting to learn where to look on the beach....ive noticed other detectorists searching where there are small stones and debris on the tide line...and around gullies.....i have started looking around groynes and have found some coins......and a WW1/WW2 pidgeon carrier still sealed with wax...so i guess the message is still inside....which is the most unusual thing ive found.

16 oz? a one pound ring eh... Guess its a typo.. Nice, have never found gold anything so far...