Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab equinox is it the cats meow

sube

I have been detecting with minelabs for a while explorer 2 was my first CTX second and then the nox .There all good all find coins but the CTX is still the champ and it has to do with ID . I prefer the CTX over the other fbs machines because it's a little faster not as much lag in audio and the 12 line ferrous coin separation mode .

Out comes the nox separation and fast when I got the nox I ran many different test between the CTX and nox .I ask several times why do I need speed the only answer I got was it separates better (really) well that's not what I see . All the detectors I have run will separate to 5 inches just as well as the nox and when the trash target gets to close to the non-ferrous target we get a blended signal there is no separation .
Take a nail and a dime blended signal the nox well read 14 15 maybe 20 this is at 5 inches at 2 inches proper id at 7 plus id drops even lower so ask yourself I got a id that's going from 12 to15 on this signal when I switch to 90 degrees it flashing iron are you going to dig (this is in a park or fairground ) I would say everybody will pass. Same signal on the CTX 12.43 to 12.45 it's seeing the 2 targets as 1 but is able to still give proper ID would you dig yes . I am totally bias to the CTX it is the best park hunter out there some detectors are good at other things and well beat it in certain situations but all in all the CTX still rules because of (ID).
Now there is a very simple test to do that proves this lay a pull-tab down put a dime 3 inches to the left and one 3 inches to the right of the pull-tab using the nox sweep this at 2 inches all targets separate and give good ID great you say does what it says now I don't hunt at 2 inches I hunt old coins now lift the coil to 5 inches and higher we get ID of 13 or 14 depending on what pull-tab you used (WHERE THE SEPARATION) the CTX will hit and give proper ID only with the side off the coil to full depth the nox using the side of the coil no go just 13 or 14 even though you can separate this at 1 to 4 inches with the nox as soon as you get tSo o 5 forget it.

Now take the pull-tab out replace with 3 nails north and south like this 111 but together the nox does better it well separate but the detector well read it as a blended signal good ID up to 5 inches increasing the depth well start giving blended signal #s 14 to 20 CTX well give proper ID to depth (superior ID it's in the dna) not recovery speed . So this boat anchor can beat this speed demon say it's not so .

I do like using the nox light weight But only run park 2 6 inch coil sensitivity as high as I can go FE2 0 recovery 6 gb 0 the reason I use 0 is there is no place to ground balance .Lots of coins found with the nox but not because of speed (IT"S THE DIFFERANT FREQS IT RUNS) that's where the coins are coming from not speed . All metal works better in iron but don't get talked out of a target because it's flashing - numbers use your search mode to look at the targets .It will not display -# only a 4 8 or 14 but not every sweep if you look at the screen and see these # being displayed when going 90 degrees dig .
Other target say one that has high tones and low tones and just a mess of tones raise your recovery speed to see if you can get any separation if not more than likely big iron would be nice if there was a button like sensitivity where you could push and change on the go instead of pushing so many buttons (MINELAB ARE YOU WATCHING) .
I was not going to post this but would like some input from other users oh and I did buy a minilab harness for my ctx getting old I guess so if your going deep just remember what's going on as I said above. One other thing coil size does not matter but the stock coil is deeper in iron . sube

Last edited:
agreed ...I can do the same with the etrac....you didn't mention it but I can see two targets close together on the screen also...

Well you covered a lot of ground there. Most of your points I agree with especially the CTX being a much better target ID machine, there’s little doubt of that. I am also a long term Minelab guy starting with the Explorer line and owning all land machines through the CTX which I have at least 1000 hours on. But for my kind of hunting which is cellar holes and fields I wouldn’t think of going back to the CTX. When you hunt my sites it’s of no interest to have a perfect TID. You need to know, “is it a positive target or Iron“ and the Nox does that well. So if I have a lighter machine with multiple frequencies and an adjustable recovery speed I’m going to find more by the end of the day. In my world of iron infestation being able to better separate targets is where it’s at and if you’re not digging all positive targets then you’re wasting your time. The Nox has fit nicely into the space that was held by the XP Deus and that was speed related. Picking targets out of the nails at a cellar hole or at a roman site. The Nox sees targets that the CTX just won’t because of speed or multi frequency I don’t care which. The only place I can think of that the CTX is a better machine for the job would be in a trashy old park where TID is helpful. I very much loved my CTX and it was a great machine But there is new tech out there and it does give the user an advantage. When the CTX came out it was widely dismissed as being no Etrac.

I have the etrac and the nox....the nox is doing a wonderful job hanging in my closet.

I have owned an Etrac, X-Terra and now own the Equinox. In my mineralized dirt the Equinox recover speed and target separation is better than the Etrac and and much better than the X-Terra 705

By the way, Minelab will be releasing 5 more detectors in the next year or so according to their website. The X-Terra does no appear on their detector chart for 2021 so maybe it is being discontinued. The Equinox 1000 maybe on its way soon along with an updated CTX and GPZ 7000.................

oh well...what do I know. FBS only makes sense to be to be the better depth/id machine and that is where we were going here on this thread. A well seasoned fbs user can add something here...let's wait and see.
The nox , my friends, is not the purrrrrfect..... cats meow !

Sorry. I forgot to answer the topic question. Absolutely not. So far, I haven’t used a detector that is purrrrrrfect. On a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the number for purrrrrrrfection I’d give the Nox an 8.5.
Jeff

Thanks Todd for replying .
I get what your saying about it hitting on more targets than the ctx also your looking for non-ferrous targets in a iron rich place Ids well not be right (this I understand ) my problem is the same as yours except not only tons of nails big iron pull-tabs foil can slaw aluminum caps and other trinkets of thrash .Now it's not just a relic hunter it's also has coin modes for park hunting i can't just look for non-ferrous targets i'm looking in a place that has equal parts of iron and non-ferrous therefore i need a id that's at least close to what i am looking for .

I really like the ability to adjust the audio the biggest thing i like is to lower the bin noise on things i don't want to hear this without using any disc BRILLANT move on minelabs part :thumbup:
I don't like the button lay out have to push to many buttons to get to where you want a row of 7 buttons across the top with a on screen choice of 4 difference options in a cross displayed on the screen say #1 would be noise cancel ground balance iron bias recovery keep the plus and minus on each side .Now all you have to do is select #1 of the 7 buttons on top and the screen would show the 4 things we pick iron bais now we can go up and down negative or positive 3 button pushes for everything .In stead of having to push 10 pushes to set recovery speed .You would need a row of 4 buttons below the 7 that would say left right up and down to control the screen since we have 28 different functions we could eliminate the buttons on the side .Oh well somebodys got to think this out over there .

Getting back on subject my ? was (WHERE"S THE SEPARATION) It would be nice if someone could explain this as far as I see the only separation is the audio not what the machine is seeing in the ground to many blended signals iding down when next to trash targets .

Does this baby hunt you bet it's a minelab it does find targets the ctx will not with everybody running higher frequencys more coins coming out of the ground i think it has to do with the frequencys . Use to be high frequency detectors could not penetrate as deep as low frequency will now they do or very close .

Elmy the nox is just as deep as the ctx no ? about that it's the id that's poor the tread is about separation you would think with better separation it would id better this is what i'm not seeing I would like some of you to run the simple test i did and give me your opinion .

Todd or someone else have a deus could you try the test and give results it would be interesting Thanks

Jmaclen good to hear new models coming out however i do have a updatable ctx already . sube

Last edited: