Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Excal repair

erikk

Here is an update for all who are thinking of sending in your excals for repair. Spoke with them yesterday about the excal that I had sent in and they had received on July 2nd.
Seems that it will take a minimum of 40, yes that is 40 WORKING DAYS before someone will even get around to open the box to see what is wrong and then who knows how long to call, fix the unit and get it in the mail
Now don't get me wrong-the excal is a great machine but in order to hunt like we do down here in FL one machine just will not stand up to constant use and that is why I have 3 of them. It just seems a shame that when you pay over $1000 for a detector that they can't be made to keep running a while or if not get repaired in less than a couple of months.
Garrett, Whites and Fisher can do it in a few weeks-what is wrong with Minelab? I really don't need to hear that crap that they are behind because of the confusion of moving the operation from NV to IL because I sent mine to NV and that is where it is being repaired.
And the BEST PART....when you call you get "Welcome to Minelab where we make the best detectors in the world" They should also add "But they are the most expensive, we can't keep them running and if you need them repaired-GOOD LUCK"

Thanks for that info. I have one in for repair. I have been sitting the fence on getting another.I have a another underwater machine but Its not an Excalibur. The gold finds are not like the Minelab hence the cost (1200) bucks does even come in to play as that is about what I find in September as the sand move's. Steve

Guess i forgot my message before hitting post. With this bad news my Whites and Fisher water detectors are looking pretty good, i do also use an Excal and love it! Lets hope it keeps ticking!

I've had my Excal II 1000 for 6 months and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). It's a good machine but if I had known I there would be these type of problems getting a broken unit repaired I would of gotten a Garretts' or Whites' instead, I had been thinking about getting a used Excal as a backup but I won't do that now, hoping to find a used CZ6a instead as I hunt mostly wet salt sand or maybe just to my knees in the water. I rarely go any deeper than that, I stepped on a stingray when I was about 14 years old and never forgot that experience, that is my only fear of wading in salt water when I can't see the bottom. HH

and they are not going to supply me with parts anymore. Looks like I'm going to have to make my own.

OK so here's the Deal.....................

I received my machine back from Minelab after waiting 3 Months......

I booked a Trip to S.Miami.. for 4 days with my Hunting partner and his Family..

I was Stoked.... Couldn't wait to use my Excal 1000.... That I just got back..

I live 1 hour from the Local beaches.. "Melbourne, Cocoa Bch, Fl"

But, 95% of my Hunting is Further South...

Here's how I start my Hunts...

Upon arrival to my hunting grounds, I get all my gear setup.. then Just before we lock up the truck..
we turn our machines on to check them out..

well, when I turned my Machine on it acted a lil weird at first..

I adjusted everything to where I use it...

Disc.. set to 1

Sens: set to 11-1:00

Volume: 3/4

Disc... I Never use Pinpoint..... I just never have.... I'm so in tune to my Machine.. there's no need to use it...

everything seemed ok at first.....

The minute I walked into the water I knew that there was an ISSUE !!!!!!

My machine was Erratic ONCE AGAIN..........................................No w, I'm Rippin Pissed!!!!

especially after waiting 3 months.. for my machine to get fixed....

and the Headphones Were NEVER COMPLETLY FIXED.....

Yes, They Changed the Cable to them........... and the INNERDS to them..............

But they NEVER changed the SHELLS.. WHERE They are STRIPPED OUT... and Self Adjust on their own.... OR
Just SLIDE OFF of THE HEADBAND......

THIS Problem WAS MENTIONED.... in MY PROBLEM Report... when I sent it into Minelab......

Saying that I had to USE a HOT Glue GUN to Spot Weld them into place........

OK.......

NEXT>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well,

It turns out............ That MY THRESHOLD KNOB................

Is Actually my Volume Control.................NOW... Yeah.... Believe it or not....

and................................

My Volume Control...........Is "Actually" My Threshold" Now...............................

What the HELL IS GOING ON with MINELAB IN VEGAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAST TIME IT was SENT in ...............

They Replaced the PCB BOARD.............. and just about everything else...........

Well When I got it back that time..... Yes...........that time took 3 Months too.. In order to fix..............

Well,

It came back with a "COLD-SOLDER" JOINT..... and I Noticed it immediately after opening the box when I got it back.....

Well, The machine lasted a week before I had to send it back....................For them to PROPERLY FIX IT..........................

LISTEN PEOPLE !!!!!

I know this Thread sounds like a Big Bitch..... But Lemme tell you something................

I ONLY BUY THE BEST OF EVERYTHING !!!! THAT I BUY.........

and I thought that I was BUYING the BEST when I bought my EXCAL.... I'm Sure I did...........

But WHOEVER is Fixing them in "VEGAS"....... Well... maybe they are being RUSHED....

or Have Hearing trouble.... or whatever.....

And My Reason for saying so is......

ON the Bottom of my Service tickets.....

IT States... Detector Ops Ok Good" on one ticket...

the other ticket States: UNIT Tested OK in ALL Functions"

other ticket: Realigned unitand tested to Spec.. ALL Function OK......

Very Shortly... I'm going to post my Service Tickets that I received back from Minelab..

as well as, The Problem Sheets that I sent into them.... and You all can be the Judges....

LISTEN, I just want my machine to "FUNCTION PROPERLY"

I was told that I'll have to wait another 4-6 weeks in order to have it fixed again.. "Expedited"..

How my Doing........

Now This is the Only Minelab machine that I've Owned that I have had to send in Period...

I own a Excal II and Owned a Explorer SE... never had an issue with them..

This Machine is TURNING OUT TO BE A LEMON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There should Be a LEMON LAW for having to sent in your machine for the Same issues sooo many times....

PLEASE....

DAVID J MURPHY... "President" MINELAB USA.....

if your reading this.....

Please HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I buy my Equip BRAND NEW... Cause, I don't wanna buy other peoples problems.....

Now, I guess, I'll have to rethink this..

I was promised a Shipping label by the days end.... so that I didn't have to pay to ship my machine back to Minelab again at my expense.....

it's 7:38pm EST now.... I haven't received my Label yet..Via Email

Unbelievable!! And I just so happen to be waiting on my dealer to get my new Excalibur that I ordered in. Needless to say.......I'm scared :sadwalk:

Edited to add: Minelab should over-night you a brand new machine. JMHO

John(Tx) said:
sure does make me nervous thinking about my Excal breaking down......

I think we just have to keep telling ourselves that there are a lot of them out there that aren't broke............I think.

umm that may be a way to look at it....

But.. look at it this way....too...

what about ALL of the People that are not members or who don't post to on-line forums...............

or the people that Never used a Detector before.. and just bought one after seeing many people on the beaches using one.. and decided to buy one for themselves...

and have NO Clue.. Whether if it's working correctly or not....

Just think.....

Minelab makes More $$$ selling machines to Land hunters across the world than US "Water Hunters"...

That may be why there is only .................... 1........................ Excalibur service Tech............. that services ALL of the Machines that are bought and sold in the USA.............

Think about it....

and all of the People that Buy their Excaliburs from Across the Pond.... they all get shipped back to the States to be repaired here....

mtpockets said:
umm that may be a way to look at it....

But.. look at it this way....too...

what about ALL of the People that are not members or who don't post to on-line forums...............

or the people that Never used a Detector before.. and just bought one after seeing many people on the beaches using one.. and decided to buy one for themselves...

and have NO Clue.. Whether if it's working correctly or not....

Just think.....

Minelab makes More $$$ selling machines to Land hunters across the world than US "Water Hunters"...

That may be why there is only .................... 1........................ Excalibur service Tech............. that services ALL of the Machines that are bought and sold in the USA.............

Think about it....

and all of the People that Buy their Excaliburs from Across the Pond.... they all get shipped back to the States to be repaired here....

I hear you MT. I sometimes wish that there was something else out there that compares to a good working Excalibur. I'm going to waterproof my GT, just in case.

Is there a web site for Minelab users to vent their complaints to Minelab USA via the internet ? I do not think they are monitoring this forum. I have a Soverign GT which I like, but sure hope it does not break down and have to wait 90 days to get it repaired. I would have purchased a Fishers, Garrett, or Whites machine if I known they would be having these repair problems. IMHO, GH, Don

Crispy Critter said:
John(Tx) said:

I think we just have to keep telling ourselves that there are a lot of them out there that aren't broke............I think.
Sure but why should U have to own 3 excals just to be able to hunt ONE while the others are being constantly repaired.................maybe

erikk said:
Crispy Critter said:
John(Tx) said:

Sure but why should U have to own 3 excals just to be able to hunt ONE while the others are being constantly repaired.................maybe

I had an Excalibur II and never had a problem with it. Anyways, I just canceled my order for the Excalibur and have instead ordered an E-Trac. Still a little nervous though.

HH, Crispy

You have to remember that when people are happy with things they rarely spout off about how well things are going. On the other hand, when there is a problem people love to tell the world about it. What I mean is that I'm sure Excalibur break downs are the very rare exception and not the rule, so any newbies out there who are considering one shouldn't be scared off. Same deal with the GT. I've heard it said before by a few people who have owned many Sovereigns over the years- that they've never had a problem with any of them.

On the flip side, even if you are concerned about a break down you have to ask yourself where the heck you are going to go instead of Minelab? Most other brands don't even come close in performance or depth. If you are that worried about it then I'd look into an F75LTD or T2LTD, which many say get near Minelab depth at least in lower minerals.

All the above being said, let's try to remember that Minelab is in the transistion from one factory to another and also has moved the repair facility (I think) in the US. That's why there are going to be issues with the time it takes to get one fixed or for new units to be delivered. Sooner or later that will all sort it's self out once they get settled, I'm sure. I'm not sticking up for Minelab because it sounds like they've done a poor job of moving locations and all that, not to mention a poor job of keeping customers informed of the delay problems and why they exist right now due to the move, but I am saying it should get better once all the dust settles.

Beyond all that remember that it's up to you, the user, to do regular checks on your machine, in particular a water unit. Make sure any connections are snug. Clean the rubber gaskets and lube them with a rubber/silicon safe grease, and so on. In the world of RC planes this is what we call a flight check. You want to find any problem before that plane goes into the air, and the same thinking process should apply to your detector. When it comes to the Sovereign you should install those rubber boots on the switches and try to keep dirt or stand from falling onto the face plate and thus down into the machine. 9 times out of 10 I bet a problem with a Sovereign is either due to a dirty switch or pot, not some internal electronic part failure.