Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab explorer XS not powering up.

AntFish

Power capacitor is still flat on top... I tried removing it with a friend that noticed this, and said it may still be good becausr it didnt exoand on top. Should I change it anyway, or could it be the screen pad that needs replacing? Is there a good source in the NE USA?
This was a free detector

Attachments

• 20230417_122101.jpg
    20230417_122101.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 121
  • 20230627_152110.jpg
    20230627_152110.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
  • 20230627_152102.jpg
    20230627_152102.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
Sometimes the springs down in the battery compartment on the machine get dirty/rusty and don't make contact. Had that happen with a explorer. Look down in with a flashlight,,,I even had a explorer that a spring was bent sideways and wasn't making contact with the battery...usto be able to buy new screens on eBay for $25, not sure if they're still available. I think I might have one somewhere I bought as a backup

Sometimes the springs down in the battery compartment on the machine get dirty/rusty and don't make contact. Had that happen with a explorer. Look down in with a flashlight,,,I even had a explorer that a spring was bent sideways and wasn't making contact with the battery...usto be able to buy new screens on eBay for $25, not sure if they're still available. I think I might have one somewhere I bought as a backup
Digital display on my old Explorer xs is getting dim.
Be nice to have a new one.

Could be all sorts of things other than capacitor. Did you check wiring from battery to control board? Check battery voltage?
battery compartment checks 12+ volts. I need a diagram to see which wires to check at the board. Do I have to take the handle tube apart for anything???

I checked the battery pack... 12+ volts=/

Power capacitor is still flat on top... I tried removing it with a friend that noticed this, and said it may still be good becausr it didnt exoand on top. Should I change it anyway, or could it be the screen pad that needs replacing? Is there a good source in the NE USA?
This was a free detector
Can anyone say they think from the pic that the capacitor is bad? I'm thinking no myself... why I think it could be the screen=/

I checked the battery pack... 12+ volts=/
You need to make sure the current is going through the battery compartment inside the handle. Just use a test light and fibd the positive and negative wires going from the battery compartment to the board ,if it light up there with the battery installed then it's not a battery/ power issue

Yes,

I think the black and red wires to the PCB are the wires from battery terminals. Check for 12V there with the battery installed in the handle. And also there are two PCB boards plugged together. Try prying them apart and reseating them.

You need to make sure the current is going through the battery compartment inside the handle. Just use a test light and fibd the positive and negative wires going from the battery compartment to the board ,if it light up there with the battery installed then it's not a battery/ power issue
I found power at the board, a thin red wire and a thin black one. First try I got continuity.

Yes,

I think the black and red wires to the PCB are the wires from battery terminals. Check for 12V there with the battery installed in the handle. And also there are two PCB boards plugged together. Try prying them apart and reseating them.
I did have the boards apart once, when trying to remove the power cap, but that was unsuccessful. And I checked this morning, I have power at the board!

I found power at the board, a thin red wire and a thin black one. First try I got continuity.
This is your problem, there’s a youtube video on how to change them,very easy. Send me your adress and I’ll send you this one.Your power button is more than likely toast on the display

Attachments

• IMG_1709.jpeg
    IMG_1709.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1710.jpeg
    IMG_1710.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
Yes,

I did have the boards apart once, when trying to remove the power cap
This is your problem, there’s a youtube video on how to change them,very easy. Send me your adress and I’ll send you this one.Your power button is more than likely toast on the display
That's what I thought it was. I saw videos on replacing that part... hair dryer! I also saw the power capacitor replacement video, but mine looks fine.
Are you selling those screens?

I did have the boards apart once, when trying to remove the power cap

That's what I thought it was. I saw videos on replacing that part... hair dryer! I also saw the power capacitor replacement video, but mine looks fine.
Are you selling those screens?
I'm not using it, I'll send it to you if you give me your addy. No charge, hope it gets the explorer up and running