Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Go Find

wildwest

Does anyone have experience with the new Minelab Go Find series?
I'm looking for a light weight detector with an external speaker and a depth gauge.

Unless you need the collapsible feature you'd be further ahead with an X-terra 305.
JMHO

If you are serious about detecting then don't buy a Go Find . Buy either a low end X.Terra or if you have experience a secondhand Explorer or better.
The Go Find is not much better than a toy :( pity because the stem is not a bad idea.

Thanks for the replies. Could you go into a little more detail as to why the "Go find 60" isn't that good? I thought the collapsible feature would be nice when traveling by plane, which I don't do that much. It weighs 2.3 lbs which sounds good to me.

I've been detecting 13 yrs but only get out about 50-60 hrs/yr. I've used a Fisher CZ6 (they were made from '90-'95) which I chest mount, leaving the stem and coil which only weigh 2.2 lbs. So I'm looking for a light weight detector or one that's hip or body mountable. I figured the technology has probably improved since the CZ6 was made. About the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have an external speaker which in some situations would be nice (like in an educational setting) although I normally use headphones.

The X-Terra's all weigh 2.9 lbs without batteries. I'm looking at a Minelab brochure but it doesn't list Explorer so I assume they're no longer made.

Thanks

You are correct, the Explorer has been discontinued.
Coming from a CZ anything, the Go-Find is likely to be a disappointment. It has some do-dads like Bluetooth to be attractive to younger users , but lacks features that are functionally more useful, like the ability to change coils. Whereas with an Xterra a coil change can even mean a frequency change, which allows you to better tailor your machine to a desired task.

FWIW, you could probably make an alternative mount for the Xterra control head. It wouldn't be too difficult given the way that it mounts. I've thought about a chest mount myself.

x-terra-metal-detector-enviro-control-box-cover_zpsaf079693.jpg

I would not buy one of these for myself. The collapsible feature is nice but that's as far as it goes with this machine. Even with the collapsible feature it still feels cheaply made when you extend it. I would buy a cheap Bounty Hunter before I would buy this machine.

Looks like the 2nd machine they bodged up unless you count the GPZ , CTX / GPZ for weight !

I can buy a used Explorer for $600 or a new x-terra 705 with 2 coils for $700. Which do you think is a better deal?
Weight is a consideration for me - 2.9 lbs for the x-terra and 3' 7" for the Explorer which is getting a bit heavy for me. Can you hip or body mount one?
The 2nd 705 coil is for gold prospecting as I understand it, which I don't do? Can you do anything else with it?
Thanks - appreciate all your input.

For all out relic and coin hunting power the Explorer would be the best by some way but the Explorer is an older model and is not made now.
The Explorer weighs more and there would be a fatigue factor but you will be digging more .
If you do beach detecting then on the wet the Explorer would be best by far , unless you are only doing the dry then they are more even and in favour of the X.Terra if on trashy and airy sand.
The Explorer tones are better but the numbers on the Terra are simpler if you know what targets are there, there is a lot more to learn on the Explorer but more settings give more .
The Explorer runs on 8 batteries compared to 4 unless you run the Explorer on an RNB battery the Terra will be more economical

I use my Terra 90% of the time but that's because the place I search is better for the Terra most of the time.

If the Explorer is in mint condition then I would probably go for it but it depends on what you want to search, if you can make do with an X.Terra then buy that .

In terms of "the deal", the new 705 w/2 coils is a better deal than $600 for a used Explorer. Even if the Explorer is a newer SE Pro it likely doesn't have much if any warranty left, and the model has been discontinued. On the other hand, the new 705 has a full three year transferable warranty, and you can always peddle the unused 18.75kHz elliptical coil to a beach hunter for good money.

From a more physiological standpoint, the Explorer is notably heavier, and there is no way to body mount the control pod w/o performing MAJOR surgery. It will either build your arm, or wear it out. With all but the Coiltek 15" coils, the 705 is a swing all day machine.

The Explorer may be a heavy machine but it is a heavy hitter too , you can miss targets with a Terra far more than an Explorer in most circumstances.
If you are stopping to dig often like I am on beaches for example then the weight is not too bad , your arm recovers and your finds keep your mind off the weight too .

The X.Terra is also very good in many ways as I have found but it does have its limits .

There is also one other point , the Explorer you are on about is $600 but how much was it when it was new ? back in when ever?
The Terra 705 in the UK is around £500 for a straight boxed machine and the Explorer 11 for example was £1000 or about back in 2006 when new.

For the price the Terra is brilliant and I know but it all depends on your sites and your needs.

Nuke em said:
I use my Terra 90% of the time but that's because the place I search is better for the Terra most of the time.
Like you, I have both for what each brings to the table. The technologies being so different, it's tough to make any real comparison. They're just different.

Also like you, my Xterra remains my go-to machine. My Explorer will go down the road someday, but the Xterra is here to stay.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I was feeling pressured to make a decision as those prices are at a local detecting shop that is going out-of-business soon.
But the price for a new x-terra 705 at Kellyco is about the same and they throw in $240 in free accessories!
So I think I'll take my time and study up.

Old Longhair said:
Nuke em said:
Like you, I have both for what each brings to the table. The technologies being so different, it's tough to make any real comparison. They're just different.

Also like you, my Xterra remains my go-to machine. My Explorer will go down the road someday, but the Xterra is here to stay.

I will hold onto my Explorer for as long as I can , being that there is no lightweight replacement for the ET/Explorer what else can I do ?
Soon there will be a new unmentionable coil for the Terra which I will have to get and the Deus is going to have a new update and a new multi frequency coil which if great on the beach could push the Explorer to the exit but we will have to see.
Its a pity Minelab are so keen on heavy machines , whether they are good or not they are very heavy as a norm and that lets them down .

Many will say the CTX is the way to go but I have been there and if it was lighter by some way I would have kept it but with some issues I had with it and the weight and my bad back it had to go.

Back to the subject of this thread , as I said if you can find all you want with a Terra then buy the Terra but the Explorer is a heavy hitter like a B52 , the Terra is more like a F15 . Speed not including in equation and the Go Find is more like a training glider :).

I bought one for my wife and it's light for her. What the heck 300.00 bucks. I was amazed how hard it hit on coins and deep too. I have Sovereign GT , Excalibur, And Xterra 705. I really was amazed when I took it to the wet sand and I mean wet sand at the beach, it had no problem hitting a nickle 4" down. I didn't try any deeper because I was in shock , plus it was so smooth running. I couldn't do that with the Xterra on any setting period. I heard the new whites will do this to but I don't know for sure. I don't like the 4 Icons you better dig everything at first. It has it's down side but you can find some good gold with it. Go Find -Go Figure.

Ronnie L