Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MINELAB Manticore Unmasking And Recovery Performance

Why is everyone these days obsessed with unmasking. Such a big obsession all over you tube. The tests prove little . No Magic Unmasker Detector exists. Many good targets will only hit and sound off
as a "dig me signal" IF approached at the optimal sweep angle of approach. That's why sites are never truly cleared out of good finds. Most coinage in the ground is too deep anyway for our shallow hunting VLF 's
which actually are just skimming the surface . VLF is maxxed out and needs some thing new , like new technology to get more out of the ground. VLF is crude. It's like the lead acid battery were still using it to start cars over 100 years later. Vlf is similar , it's not getting replaced anytime soon.

Last edited:
Why is everyone these days obsessed with unmasking. Such a big obsession all over you tube. The tests prove little . No Magic Unmasker Detector exists. Many good targets will only hit and sound off
as a "dig me signal" IF approached at the optimal sweep angle of approach. That's why sites are never truly cleared out of good finds. Most coinage in the ground is too deep anyway for our shallow hunting VLF 's
which actually are just skimming the surface . VLF is maxxed out and needs some thing new , like new technology to get more out of the ground. VLF is crude. It's like the lead acid battery were still using it to start cars over 100 years later. Vlf is similar , it's not getting replaced anytime soon.
I look around me and feel like I'm living in the dark ages.
I truly feel we should be far more advanced.
I want my tricorder. That'll find the good stuff.

There really is no unmasking going on when you have 2 or more targets under the coil even if you get tone for each target , the tone will be wrong and the ID will be wrong . Ask yourself did this tell you anything useful on if you will dig or not .
Then there is separation at 5 inches or deeper (where the coins you want not the clad ) once at this depth both targets are one , nail nickel nail pull-tab nail gold ring can slaw nail and so on your going to get a blend of the ID for both . No separation if you had separation you would get 2 IDS .
Yet they tell you that you need a fast machine to get separation . But most people run at 0 to 1 trying to get the best ID and depth giving up what they bought the machine for in the first place .Separation comes when the ID is correct when one signal is under the coil and it is correct . This could also happen if you had a coin and a small nail or tab just on the outside of the coil the dime signal would rule better return than the nail or tab . You may get a ID of 1 to 3 numbers lower or higher than the number you get if you had no maskers with it depending if it's a nickel or dime .

I have the deus 2 I love it light as can be game changer for me also have a nox 800 ctx and tested the manticore .
The deus and manticore are almost the same sold the manticore and use the deus cheaper and lighter.
Discrimination
Ground
iron
Non-ferrous

Let's take ground ever notice the air test you do on a coin and get great depth then bury and loose 3 to 4 inches well that's because your discing out the ground by ground balancing your detector . If a detector did this correctly you would loose no depth but they are to the high side so the detector does not have to be kept level with the ground at all times or you get noise coil control you need if you want more depth .
To achieve more depth you need to run ground balance more - than what the machine picks but now you need coil control or it will false on every bump .
The deus 2 and manticore in the time I have use them mostly deus I just tested the manticore seem to separate the ground from the coin better than other detectors I have had .There are no masking targets here just the ground noise there either doing it with more speed or just better at removing the ground noise from the target giving you a dig signal .
Instead of getting a what if signal it's more a dig signal can be a coin at 5 inch on edge or deeper coin .(remember the deeper or weaker the signal the harder it is to separate from the ground ) As you know the deeper the coin is the more the ground will mask it till gone .This is the easiest thing to disc out for the detectors we run today there is some success here . The other thing I would have to say is using a 9 inch coil all coils find coins others don't . Nobody ran 9 inch coils with a modern machine there are still coins only available to this coil . Most run 10 11 8 and 6 now those coins you find where you were over that spot a million times with every coil you had and say how could I miss it (wrong coil)

. You can see why there is no separation with iron nonferrous , and non-ferrous to non-ferrous when the detector is already having a hard time separating the ground from the target .
But you can get separation at 4 inches as everybody shows which is not misleading the reason being is that coin is under the center bar and the masker is not (but I don't hunt clad )
I have posted this on many you tube videos only crickets and other forums crickets .
But I do give credit where it is deserved Historyrevisited
Was the only one that reply and gave a honest reply. sube

I have the Manticore and selling the Deus II's, will never sell the Deus I, or the Sovereign GT, or the GPX 5000.
Sold the Legend.
Most importantly, get the fullest potential by learning the detector that you like to use. JMO.

There really is no unmasking going on when you have 2 or more targets under the coil even if you get tone for each target , the tone will be wrong and the ID will be wrong . Ask yourself did this tell you anything useful on if you will dig or not .
Then there is separation at 5 inches or deeper (where the coins you want not the clad ) once at this depth both targets are one , nail nickel nail pull-tab nail gold ring can slaw nail and so on your going to get a blend of the ID for both . No separation if you had separation you would get 2 IDS .
Yet they tell you that you need a fast machine to get separation . But most people run at 0 to 1 trying to get the best ID and depth giving up what they bought the machine for in the first place .Separation comes when the ID is correct when one signal is under the coil and it is correct . This could also happen if you had a coin and a small nail or tab just on the outside of the coil the dime signal would rule better return than the nail or tab . You may get a ID of 1 to 3 numbers lower or higher than the number you get if you had no maskers with it depending if it's a nickel or dime .

I have the deus 2 I love it light as can be game changer for me also have a nox 800 ctx and tested the manticore .
The deus and manticore are almost the same sold the manticore and use the deus cheaper and lighter.
Discrimination
Ground
iron
Non-ferrous

Let's take ground ever notice the air test you do on a coin and get great depth then bury and loose 3 to 4 inches well that's because your discing out the ground by ground balancing your detector . If a detector did this correctly you would loose no depth but they are to the high side so the detector does not have to be kept level with the ground at all times or you get noise coil control you need if you want more depth .
To achieve more depth you need to run ground balance more - than what the machine picks but now you need coil control or it will false on every bump .
The deus 2 and manticore in the time I have use them mostly deus I just tested the manticore seem to separate the ground from the coin better than other detectors I have had .There are no masking targets here just the ground noise there either doing it with more speed or just better at removing the ground noise from the target giving you a dig signal .
Instead of getting a what if signal it's more a dig signal can be a coin at 5 inch on edge or deeper coin .(remember the deeper or weaker the signal the harder it is to separate from the ground ) As you know the deeper the coin is the more the ground will mask it till gone .This is the easiest thing to disc out for the detectors we run today there is some success here . The other thing I would have to say is using a 9 inch coil all coils find coins others don't . Nobody ran 9 inch coils with a modern machine there are still coins only available to this coil . Most run 10 11 8 and 6 now those coins you find where you were over that spot a million times with every coil you had and say how could I miss it (wrong coil)

. You can see why there is no separation with iron nonferrous , and non-ferrous to non-ferrous when the detector is already having a hard time separating the ground from the target .
But you can get separation at 4 inches as everybody shows which is not misleading the reason being is that coin is under the center bar and the masker is not (but I don't hunt clad )
I have posted this on many you tube videos only crickets and other forums crickets .
Sube, I agree with you because of experience in owning many coils.

The 10 x 12 SEF, hits hard on silver quarters and multiple coins stuck together. There are other examples but Im not feeling the best and don’t want to list others.

One thing to bring up would be the programming that the user can adjust. Too bad the testers or the detector company don’t help us with adjustments. Or even go the extra mile and produce these.

In my opinion many newer detectors and coils are tested to work in certain environments that might not be conducive to US.

If you can hear the different sounds of targets you will be able to separate them and find more good stuff. Hearing loss plagues many folks so a programming alert will and should compensate the user.

These are my opinions, Tony

Discrimination
Ground
iron
Non-ferrous

I would love some links to those videos.
Always eager to learn.

The 10" x 12" SEF was my favorite coil, and used it for years on my Excalibur II with fantastic results. I eventually moved on to the Ultimate 13".
I wish they had one for the Manticore. 😁
Any good finds with that 13" coil ?
I have one on my Sovereign GT.
Be interesting on my Manticore.
Though I'd love to get that 6×9 coil minelab seems to think is better off at their base than on my machine.

I would love some links to those videos.
Always eager to learn.
Me to but you will not find any most videos the people are trying to sell you something .I am not selling anything just the truth at what I see .
Most of the separation test can be done right in your home .
As to ground separation to coin a 5 gallon bucket with your dirt will work good enough . sube

Me to but you will not find any most videos the people are trying to sell you something .I am not selling anything just the truth at what I see .
Most of the separation test can be done right in your home .
As to ground separation to coin a 5 gallon bucket with your dirt will work good enough . sube
I was just hoping you had any links to something I could learn. Always love watching guys showing skills I've yet to master.
Thanks Sube.

Any good finds with that 13" coil ?
I have one on my Sovereign GT.
Be interesting on my Manticore.
Though I'd love to get that 6×9 coil minelab seems to think is better off at their base than on my machine.
What's the manti like compared to the gt........have you compared depth etc.

Yeah, I've made some great finds with the Sovereign GT and the 15" Ultimate, but I typically only use that setup after a storm, or giant wave action on the east coast of Florida.
Actually, no comparison, but that's a good point. I'd like to compare the Manticore with the 15" coil, compared to the Sovereign GT with the 15" Ultimate on the beach. That would be a good one.
I don't do YouTube videos like some do, maybe I should.
I've been on the different forums for around 20 years, but just too busy to make videos. Once I learn the Manticore good enough, I think I will do that test here in the saltwater sand, gold rind or nickel. If I can get a GoPro, and have somebody film me, that would be a good one, or at least post my results.
Seems the trend is most like videos now instead of reading a thread. I guess seeing is believing. Trying to put some time on the Manticore, getting myself up to speed.

Don't underestimate the 8" Tornado search coil on the Sovereign. Fantastic coil as well. Better probably for parks and other locations. Just was too small for me searching gigantic open areas of the endless beach.

I was lucky enough to find and get both the M8, and the M15 for the Manticore. I've been using mainly the M8, yet to use the stock 11", and planning on taking a day and trying the 15 at the beach. I haven't had much time with the Manticore. I've learned all the settings, and read the manual. Next will be CJC's book on the Manticore. I would say so far that it's hard to take that M8 coil off. It seems like it might become my favorite from what I've seen so far, but it's early in the game, and I'm just getting started. I already like it better than the Nox 800. At least I don't have to worry about breaking the coil ears off.

I'm hoping that my experience is at least three times that, if not more. I'm hoping to see separation to at least 9 inches, especially when the Deus II and Manticore can see a nickel at 15 inches.
I'm wondering what is the depth that coins and other non-ferrous targets start sounding like iron?
That's in the best ground possible, like the white sugar sand here in West Florida. I understand that out west or north in magnetite and mineralization, I might only be getting two or three inches at the most, to the point of not being able to use a VLF at all, and moving to a PI detector. A lot of variables depending on where you're at.