Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab profind pointer

Sonora70

Not sure this is the proper place for discussion of the minelab pointer, but I would appreciate some facts.......I've been eyeballing the garrett pinpointers and finally decided to pick one up. After 3 phone calls to order, all 3 places were sold out and on back order at the $127.45 price. So......as a result I called one of the dealers back to inquire about the minelab profind pointer. He indicated to me that they are great pointers and that basically the reason they are not as popular as the garrett is the price as they are typically listed at $169.00. Roughly $40 more. As a result of not having any of the garretts in stock and me being a previous customer he offerred the minelab to me for the same price as the garrett. I accepted and it's on the way.

As I anxiously wait for my minelab to arrive I began looking at reviews on the internet concerning the minelab pointer. There are some good reviews out there but then there's the guy on youtube that does a soil test and totally hates all over the minelab. He basically says its terrible. I nearly started to call and cancel my order. So my questions: Does it do a good job in the field? If both cost the same is it comparable to the garrett? Thanks for any input.

I'll be interested to hear what people that own the Minelab one have to say about it.

I sent my Garrett Pro Pointer back for repair last week because the sound was getting low even without dirt in the speaker holes or it being wet and I could hardly tell that the thing was vibrating when on a target. After 3000+ coins I'm not sure if I wore it out or if I knocked it around too much. I read a post once where someone said that they had a flat $30-$35 refurbish fee. When they called me yesterday the lady said that mine had a whole bunch of problems. She said that they put a new coil in it, replaced the speaker and did one other thing to it that sounded pretty minor. She told me that the charges were nearly $56. I was a little floored because I was expecting $30 or so. The difference between what I thought I was going to pay and what I paid won't break me but when you start nearing the half price mark for a repair I kind of questioned if maybe I should have just bought a new Minelab model. The girl said "we also put a new battery in it for you but there's no charge for that."

I can't complain about the Garrett because it's really served me well and it's probably 4 year old now. I do question that the coil in mine was bad being that I've never had problems finding anything with it, it was just hard to hear and feel after a few years. I should have sent it out last year but it seemed like we didn't get the usual winter break from detecting being that the weather was pretty decent.

My next one will be the ProFind-25. It has features that make it more desireable to me, they are well built, and I'm looking forward to being a "Garrett free" household. :lol:

I can't complain too much about the Garrett. Until recently it was the best game in town.

Old Longhair said:
My next one will be the ProFind-25. It has features that make it more desireable to me, they are well built, and I'm looking forward to being a "Garrett free" household. :lol:

I can't complain too much about the Garrett. Until recently it was the best game in town.
same for me, except my garret is still working ok for now.

The new minelab should be in tomorrow, hopefully in time to take it with me detecting tomorrow evening. I'll post a review tomorrow night. My buddy uses a garrett so I'll try to do a comparison test as well.

I don't have the Garrett but do have the pro-find and it works great. The option to go vibrate only is a feature I use 99% of the time. The only thing that I would like to be a little better is the vibration is light. But it is still strong enough for me to feel it wearing mechanics gloves. No issues at all picking the target up in the hole. I am very pleased with it. Good luck and HH!

mapper65 said:
I'll be interested to hear what people that own the Minelab one have to say about it.

I sent my Garrett Pro Pointer back for repair last week because the sound was getting low even without dirt in the speaker holes or it being wet and I could hardly tell that the thing was vibrating when on a target. After 3000+ coins I'm not sure if I wore it out or if I knocked it around too much. I read a post once where someone said that they had a flat $30-$35 refurbish fee. When they called me yesterday the lady said that mine had a whole bunch of problems. She said that they put a new coil in it, replaced the speaker and did one other thing to it that sounded pretty minor. She told me that the charges were nearly $56. I was a little floored because I was expecting $30 or so. The difference between what I thought I was going to pay and what I paid won't break me but when you start nearing the half price mark for a repair I kind of questioned if maybe I should have just bought a new Minelab model. The girl said "we also put a new battery in it for you but there's no charge for that."

I can't complain about the Garrett because it's really served me well and it's probably 4 year old now. I do question that the coil in mine was bad being that I've never had problems finding anything with it, it was just hard to hear and feel after a few years. I should have sent it out last year but it seemed like we didn't get the usual winter break from detecting being that the weather was pretty decent.

I hear mate :) ....my old Garrett ProPointer is finally dieing after thousands of targets
The speaker and the vibrate is very soft
It still finds deep coins though :biggrin:
I just ordered a replacement and feel that it was ($140 delivered to Downunder :ausflag:) a good investment.
I am so used to the Garrett Propointer that I cannot imagine hunting without one now. I do also have a Pistol Probe but only use it for probe recovery on deeper coins that the Garrett cant reach.

A friend of mine has a Minelab and only uses that. From what we have seen it does not go as quite deep as the Garrett but operates much better in heavy mineralised soils.
I think you will be happy with it :thumbup:
T59

I love my garrett pro pointer and don't feel the need to try the profind because of extra features, however, I'm curious if the profind interferes with any detectors of a certain frequency. My MXT PRO makes a lot of noise in the headphones when the pro pointer is too close to the coil.-VERY annoying! That would be the only reason I might get a profind, if I new for sure that it would not interfere with the mxt pro.
The pro pointer never bothered my dfx, ace250, or xterra 705, just the mxt pro.

Yes, I have had interference from my Propointer (and Pistol Probe) interfering with my Etrac and CTX3030
What I do to fix it is do a Noise Cancel with the pinpointer turned on and near the detector
...the metal detector seems to work out which channel to select and the problem is no more.
anyhow , I just thought I should mention that as it may be something you could try :)
T59

My Propointer worked really well for about 18 months then it started falsing even when reset. I send it in to Garrett and they sent it back, it seemed better but now it is starting to false again.

Apparently my profind got caught up in the mail.....didn't get it today as I was told I should. Hopefully it'll show up tomorrow. It will probably be next weekend before I get to try it out.