Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Safari with the 8' Sun ray coil

Confetrit

I was relic hunting this past Saturday with the Minelab Safari and the 8' Sun day search coil. The coil would not allow me to pinpoint a target. It was all over the place sounding off to the front, back, and sides. I got pretty flustered. I like this little coil, being 3 inches smaller and some lighter than the 11' coil, but it was all but useless to me about halfway through our hunt. Has anyone else by chance used this 8' coil with either the Etrac or Safari and experienced the same issue? I put the 11' coil back on and there is no problem pinpointing. Strange. The smaller 8' coil should be more precise in pinpointing but it isn't. Guess which coil I'm using next hunt.

Something might be wrong with your particular one, the X8 is a very well known coil that is as accurate as they get. Is this a result of surrounding trash? Did you test the coil by just burying a coin in a spot that is clean and verifying it works with the test coin? I’ve used the X8 with great effect for years with the Explorer, which would be the one used on the etrac or Safari.

It could possibly be the soil too. That is some of the highest mineral content dirt I have hunted. Terrible soil, hard like concrete with heavy mineralization.

It could possibly be the soil too. That is some of the highest mineral content dirt I have hunted. Terrible soil, hard like concrete with heavy mineralization.
There COULD be a soil problem, but wouldn’t explain that why, when you put the larger stock coil back on, the problem does not occur.

It was still sometimes a slight problem with the 11' stock coil, but not nearly as bad. What makes me wonder if it is the soil in this particular area is that I have been hunting this area for nearly 30 plus years and have only encountered small pockets of soil that was really hard to search, but this entire area which encompasses acres and acres of land really seems to be heavily mineralized.