Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab service "Is it C.O.Y.L.E. or C.O.I.L.?"

Now I am a supporter of Minelab and think their machines are great, however it seems that things are going downhill and this post is just me venting.
I know they were bought out not long ago and moved their Ireland manufacturing to Philippines, which I believe is the main issue.
I sent in my Excalibur and my coil for my XT30 for service in May to Las Vegas. It arrived and was received May 18th. I received a phone call a few days later confirming they received it and that someone would be looking at it.
Three weeks went by and nothing so I called. Got a 'call center' person who took my information and said a service rep would call me back. They called leaving a message stating that the service generally takes 30 days so it will be at least another week before we hear anything.
So, OK. I wait one more week. Call again, get same call center who takes my info and someone will call me back. They call and I talk to them this time. They say another week or two. I ask if anyone has even looked at it, she says "there's nothing on my computer here so I can't say." So I ask "So you can't even tell me if anyone has even looked at it?" She says no and they are very busy this time of year.
Well, one more week and I call again today. Another call center person takes my info. "Your satisfaction is very important to Minelab" at which point I laugh. I tell them again what I sent in and my phone number to call me back at, explaining that I have already called twice. She asks "How do you spell 'coil'? Is is 'COYLE or COIL?"
Honestly.
If anyone from Minelab is reading this, this is ridiculous.
I have a long fuse and am very patient, but this really stinks. I sent my machines in for service three years ago and the service I received was incredibly GOOD! I actually spoke to the technician and I had the machine back in my hands in four weeks from the time I sent it, and I live in Canada!
So, I am of the opinion that they are receiving the machines in Las Vegas and shipping them to Philippines for service, that is why no one knows what the hell is going on or can tell you when they will get it back.
Summers here are short enough, and with my machine still weeks away from me getting it back, I am looking at buying another water machine so I can get back out. And NOT a Minelab.
I have owned a Sovereign, XT30, XT18000, Explorer 2 and 2 Excaliburs. This is really putting a bad taste in my mouth.
If anyone knows where I can properly vent my frustrations, please let me know. Minelab needs to know they are losing customers because of this.
Happy Hunting!
I have sent my rant to Minelab USA.

Minelab Marcus,

That's regrettable. I was thinking about buying a Minelab Xterra 705 in the future, but
knowing what you are going through, I 'm not so sure I want to buy one now.
I didn't know about the Philippines manufacturing plant. It just doesn't seem
logical to send a Minelab metal detector half-way around the world to the Philippines
for repair when it should be done in the United States. Wow.
I wonder if anybody else is having the same problems?

Your experience is why I really hated to send them my Safari today to be repaired. Not knowing what to expect. I hope they have gotten their act together. I am the type person who will get on every treasure hunting sit and let everyone know about the poor service if that is what I get!

I know your frustration!! They had my XS for 30 days and I was told that a repair guy would get back to me as well. I sat by the phone for two days and never got a call. I knew from the get go and was told that they have a 30 working day turn around on repair work and that's what it took to get my XS back almost to the day. I am still experiencing some of the same problems after getting my XS back and will try a couple of different things tomorrow and see if my XS still acts up. Not sure if everyone knows this or not, but Minelab is opening up another repair place in Chicago to better serve all the Minelab owners on the East coast. LOL!!!! I also heard that they offered all the repair people in Las Vegas a job in Chicago and most declined not wanting to move there and flat out quit. Guess they are in the process of training new people now in Vegas to do repair work, so don't expect the turn around for repair work to be get any faster there or in Chicago for that matter. I love my Minelab, but they definitely have to do a better job for us wanting repair work.

Eddie

It'll get better. Obviously a new hire answering your call. The bummer for us is that it is just plain hard to hire quality people, even at the high rate of unemployment we have today. Phillipines? Not what I was told.

Jeff

As far as service repair work, I believe only new machines are being built in Malaysia. Detector repairs are still taking place in Las Vegas, which is transitioning to Chicago in early July (see below)

I read this on another forum. It was written by a Senior Minelab Officer.

Minelab USAs statement follows below......

" While we have been working diligently to provide the service levels we demand of ourselves and our Customers deserve, we have had to work through a few growing pains over the last few months that may have resulted in some lower than expected service levels. Minelab repair services continue to be run through Las Vegas at the present time. We have seen encouraging improvement over the last few weeks in regard to response times and equipment repair quality. We will continue to improve in these areas moving forward.

Over the past few months, Minelab USA has been investing in our current Customer Service process based in Las Vegas as well as our new Customer Service Center to be located in the Chicago area. This investment requires us to work through the transition of our service center from Las Vegas to Chicago which is nearly complete. As well, this transition requires an investment in new personnel & systems. To achieve the highest level of service into the future we have hired two additional repair technicians and a new Customer Service Manager. These individuals are already working at improving our response processes & time lines, our technical expertise, a new service automation system & the opening of our new Customer Service center in Chicago. Our Customer Service & Repair center will be completely transitioned to Chicago from Las Vegas by early July. As we continue to work through the transition and in fact, as an ongoing mission we will continue to improve on our processes & Customer Service expertise. We hold the highest levels of Customer Service as a core value at Minelab. You have my assurance that we never will lose focus on the pursuit this core value. Thank you for your business and loyalty through some of these transitions. We do appreciate your business! "

I received an email back from the Customer Service Manager at Minelab, which apologized for the circumstances and he gave me his direct phone number to contact him.
I called and got an answering machine, left my name, number and asked to call me back.
That was Friday. This morning I sent another email directly to him asking if he could find out the status on my machines and to comment on where the repairs were taking place.
He just called me and I spoke to him personally. He again apologized about the service and told me the service is still happening in Las Vegas, however they are trying to switch to a new facility in Chicago area. They have brought in additional service people from the old Ireland plant to help with the transition and with training new people, which is good.
He still didn't know the whereabouts or status of my machines, but said he would find out and get back to me.
So the bottom line is, the L.V. plant is closing, moving to Chicago with more room and more service techs which will eventually make service repairs quicker. Unfortunately right now it is a little chaotic, which I understand in moving a business.
So, I am somewhat satisfied, however I still don't have my machine and still have no clue as to when I will get it back.
It is almost July and I was hoping to be water detecting this weekend, but it looks like unless I buy another machine, I won't be.
That's it for now.
HH
MM

If your detecting time is limited or worth anything to you, start shopping for a back up machine. If my ET died today, I'd go crazy waiting a month or more to get it back. Better get another on the shelf ready to go. (Maybe that's coporate MLs plan...have everyone buy two of the machines they like cuz their CS is so crappy. Double their profits in one year) I have two Tiger Sharks but heck that's stupid. First they have a lifetime warranty and their service is fast and reliable. Wish I didn't like the E-Trac as much as I do. Wish a Tesoro Cortez would do what the E-Trac does. Oh well! You know what they say? Wish in one hand and _ _ _ _ in the other and see which one fills up first. jim

Exact same thing with my XS. Too few people trying to make too much $ This is the american way??? Iam dumping my XS soonwant made in USA by USA legal citizens Iam tired of the mess we are ALL in I know ists all politics and WE can never change it.