Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Service: "Is it C.O.Y.L.E. or C.O.I.L.?"

Now I am a supporter of Minelab and think their machines are great, however it seems that things are going downhill and this post is just me venting.
I know they were bought out not long ago and moved their Ireland manufacturing to Philippines, which I believe is the main issue.
I sent in my Excalibur and my coil for my XT30 for service in May to Las Vegas. It arrived and was received May 18th. I received a phone call a few days later confirming they received it and that someone would be looking at it.
Three weeks went by and nothing so I called. Got a 'call center' person who took my information and said a service rep would call me back. They called leaving a message stating that the service generally takes 30 days so it will be at least another week before we hear anything.
So, OK. I wait one more week. Call again, get same call center who takes my info and someone will call me back. They call and I talk to them this time. They say another week or two. I ask if anyone has even looked at it, she says "there's nothing on my computer here so I can't say." So I ask "So you can't even tell me if anyone has even looked at it?" She says no and they are very busy this time of year.
Well, one more week and I call again today. Another call center person takes my info. "Your satisfaction is very important to Minelab" at which point I laugh. I tell them again what I sent in and my phone number to call me back at, explaining that I have already called twice. She asks "How do you spell 'coil'? Is is 'COYLE or COIL?"
Honestly.
If anyone from Minelab is reading this, this is ridiculous.
I have a long fuse and am very patient, but this really stinks. I sent my machines in for service three years ago and the service I received was incredibly GOOD! I actually spoke to the technician and I had the machine back in my hands in four weeks from the time I sent it, and I live in Canada!
So, I am of the opinion that they are receiving the machines in Las Vegas and shipping them to Philippines for service, that is why no one knows what the hell is going on or can tell you when they will get it back.
Summers here are short enough, and with my machine still weeks away from me getting it back, I am looking at buying another water machine so I can get back out. And NOT a Minelab.
I have owned a Sovereign, XT30, XT18000, Explorer 2 and 2 Excaliburs. This is really putting a bad taste in my mouth.
If anyone knows where I can properly vent my frustrations, please let me know. Minelab needs to know they are losing customers because of this.
Happy Hunting!
I have sent my rant to Minelab

Customer service is a big part of our hobby. The equipment is expensive and fragile. We want our machines to function at peak performance at all times. Hopefully these half wits will realize this someday. When the orders stop it is already too late.

I would call up and demand to speak to someone who is important enough to understand what is happening. At the very least a discount on the repair is in order.

Tell em to read this thread.

I own my own business and I know how important service is. You are correct, people will move on rather than complain too much.
I sent my rant to Minelab USA almost word for word to what I posted here. Within minutes I received an email from Ewout Kozel, the director of operations at Minelab USA.
He stated he apologized for the service and sent his direct phone number to contact him. I called and got an answering machine, left a message with my number but no call back yet.
From what I can find out, he has only had the position for 3 months at Minelab and is responsible for making things better. I understand a transition stage if they are moving to Chicago, but maybe be more upfront with people.
Will post the outcome of all this.
HH
MM

I received an email back from the Customer Service Manager at Minelab, which apologized for the circumstances and he gave me his direct phone number to contact him.
I called and got an answering machine, left my name, number and asked to call me back.
That was Friday. This morning I sent another email directly to him asking if he could find out the status on my machines and to comment on where the repairs were taking place.
He just called me and I spoke to him personally. He again apologized about the service and told me the service is still happening in Las Vegas, however they are trying to switch to a new facility in Chicago area. They have brought in additional service people from the old Ireland plant to help with the transition and with training new people, which is good.
He still didn't know the whereabouts or status of my machines, but said he would find out and get back to me.
So the bottom line is, the L.V. plant is closing, moving to Chicago with more room and more service techs which will eventually make service repairs quicker. Unfortunately right now it is a little chaotic, which I understand in moving a business.
So, I am somewhat satisfied, however I still don't have my machine and still have no clue as to when I will get it back.
It is almost July and I was hoping to be water detecting this weekend, but it looks like unless I buy another machine, I won't be.
That's it for now.
HH
MM

Seems to me that if they had any for site they would have scheduled the transition to Chicago for winter here in the US, so that the move all got taken care of during the down time for most detectorists.

I've owned my own business to and nobody can learn how to treat customers until they've done that. I know it really gave me a new understanding on how customers should be treated in order to keep them happy and as a loyal customer.

I'd tell you a little story about what happened to me at Sears a few weeks back. I had an electric battery powered weed wacker that I bought two months prior to the problem, and the receipt said "Satisfaction Guaranteed For 90 Days", or something like that, so I still had a month left to return or exchange it. The DC charging port on it developed a short after about my sixth time using it. The charging light wouldn't come on unless I wiggled the plug. I blew the charge port out with a little air to make sure nothing was stuck up in there but still no dice. Thought about taking it apart and fixing the short, because it would only take me a few minutes and a little solder work, but since it was Sears I knew they never gave me a hassle in almost 30 years of shopping there. Heck, I've shopped at this particular neighborhood store with my dad as a kid even. Have fond memories of going up there with him and seeing boats, motors, fishing gear, and so on.

Walked into the store and was told to head over to the lawn/garden department. Instant I walked up to the counter some clerk in his 50's or 60's gives me a real dirty look. Knew there was going to be a problem then. Explained what was going on and said I'd like to exchange it for another. He fired up the weed wacker and said "Sure sounds fine to me!" Even did this several times and yelled across the store to another clerk so that everybody around was good and aware of what he thought. (Bet your thinking, this guy doesn't know what he's in for! :biggrin: ) Told him that the thing was dead and that what he was experiencing what bounce back or surface charge when a battery will come back up in voltage a bit after it's sat, and that arguing about that was pointless anyway since the problem was in the charging port. Told him to plug it in and I'd quickly show him the problem. Asked him to do this several times but he refused, and said something like "I've been here too long not to know...", and then later he said something like "I bet you'll bring the new one back in 30 days too."

That's when I went from being friendly and helpful to being "more direct" with this guy. Told him to look at the different color cutting line and said if I was going to exchange this thing why would I put ten foot of brand new cutting cord on it first? Told him once again to plug it in so he could see the problem and could end his accusing tone and disrespectful behavior towards me. He once again refused, even after a nearby clerk also asked him to do that so they could see if there was a problem. Instead he decided he'd rather just treat me like one of those types who will buy something, use it, and then bring it back. Told him if I was one of those types then why would I being exchanging it instead of asking for my money back.

Anyway, he finally breaks out a new one for me and slams it fairly hard onto the counter. Fills out the paper work and hands it to me. I tell him "Thanks" and that after I left and the curiosity got too much for him to go ahead and plug it in and he'd see I was telling the truth. Once again he blew me off with some kind of remark.

After I left the store and drove home I thought about how this guy treated me. What if somebody with less knowledge would have been returning that item? He was trying to shame and embarrass me into taking the old one home. Somebody less timid and with no electrical experience might have been scared off. Besides, never in my life would I expect that kind of treatment at Sears. Ended up writing a letter to the store manager and hand delivering it that day. The manager and I sat down and talked. After a while I got the feeling they were going to fire this guy, so I told them that if they wanted to make me happy then don't get rid of him. I didn't want that on my conscience, particularly in this job market. I made them promise me they wouldn't fire him and they agreed. The only thing I asked was that they plug that weed wacker in and show this guy I was telling the truth, and that he be made aware that customers should never be treated that way, especially at Sears. Long story longer they insisted on giving me my money back. I refused since I already had a new one in exchange, but they grabbed the receipt from me and did it anyway despite me telling them I wasn't looking for that.

That's the first time in my life I've wrote a letter to a business or even asked to talk to the manager. Only reason why I did it was because I didn't want to see others treated the way I was, and also because I try to be a person of ethics and don't like my character being smeared when I knew I was telling the truth. If I was you I'd write another letter to them explaining in more detail why you love Minelab and that this kind of treatment is forcing you to leave them. That's how I started out my letter to Sears, by going into the fond memories of my dad taking me up there as a kid. You've got to butter them up first. :biggrin:

Great story, thanks.
I did send another email to Minelab and spoke to the Customer Service Manager personally yesterday.
I am hoping the whole thing gets sorted out soon, not just for myself but for everyone who is sending their machines in for service.
HH
MM

Merci Marcus Minelab Pour votre information, je l'esp