Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Vanquish users...

Monkeys Uncle

I know this is not a "one answer fits all" question. Granted, there are a number of variables...BUT in YOUR OPINION is there a somewhat narrow range of VDI values on your Vanquish detector that you would somewhat expect to detect an 'adult' size ring? Say a set or range of values for gold and another range for silver?
TIA!!

The detector sees gold jewelry as junk because gold jewelry isnt. solid gold it is actually a composite material. so it sees it as foil or pulltab.

Im no expert but getting back in after some years and if there is one thing I learned is a vid is basically useless
Some might disagree but on a vid that has a range of say 0-99 gold will show up anywhere from 0-99
No machines positively identify especially gold at certain numbers every time.
So unless you dig everything you are missing out.
If it beeps dig it and you will find more or you don’t have to, i guess thats why they make a vid to dig less holes but this is a hobby of consistency and patience
The more holes you dig the more you will find.
The only number that should matter to find gold is the number of holes you dig

I don't have a Vanquish but have a Nox 600, and in my humble opinion for finding gold its location, location, location, first and foremost, not tid. As mentioned, gold can come in about anywhere in the tid range, foil to cent readings. And, you reference "adult" size rings. Adult ladies and adult mens can be quite a tid range in itself as each are usually different sizes and weights. And as far as digging everything, that's simply not feasible, particularly on public grounds such as parks and school yards/sports fields. I don't chase gold per say, but by digging almost all nickel range readings and cent, zinc-memorial, readings, I typically recover 4-6 gold rings annually. Of course, if you are talking about water hunting, then it is pretty much dig it all. HH jim tn

As Jim TN mentioned, location is the biggest factor if you are intentionally searching for gold jewelry.

Next you have to consider the conductivity of all sorts of gold and silver jewelry. That is a combination of the object's size, shape, orientation, and whatever alloy mix was used. All of these contribute to the VDI Visual Discrimination Indicator readout.

Also think about the site being searched and ability to make a quick recovery without a lot of ground disturbance when trash content way outnumbers good jewelry. For example a sandy beach or a woidchip-filled playground are places virtually all good signals can be recovered.

Monte

The only thing TID can tell for certain but not 100%, are pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. Basically because they all are the same size and composition. Copper & zinc pennies will ring up different but you'll learn the difference. All silver coins will also have their own range. Other than that, its a crap shoot on gold. Due to soo many shapes, sizes, karat variables, it can come in anywhere. Couple of years ago I was hunting a beach and expected to see a zinc penny in my scoop. I was in total shock when there was a 22k humungous gold wedding band. I almost didnt dig it cause of the TID number. Been a beach hunter for over 20 years now, Never had a meter on any beach machine. Just dug anything that beeped. Now there are machines with meters that work in the wet, salt sand. Always trying to guess what's in the scoop. I, too am guilty of passing on the zinc.

In fact, last night, I ran into an area of zinc;s and didnt dig. Then I got a higher number zinc and decided to confirm it was a zinc. At first I thought, I just found my first gold ring with my new Deus 2.
As I was walking down the beach afterwards, I kept saying awfully high number for a gold ring. Only rings Ive found with zinc readings are high karat or extra large. Sure enough when I got back to the car, the ring was a POC !!!!

Like someone said, location, location, location. Much easier to dig everything at the beach than all the can slaw in the parks !!!!

In my 1st 18 months of detecting on land, I dug 10 pieces of gold. I dug that many in less than a month at the beach. But that was way back when gold was $300 oz and everyone could afford to buy real gold. Not the fake crap they sell today.

Want to find gold, Find a beach !!!!

HH
Donna(NJ)

Well thats just it first depends what kind of detecting you like to do.
Nowadays its not worth the effort for a penny unless you like coins period.
Might as well leave it with the pulltabs
But im one that will even leave a modern nickel or dime but again thats just me
Gold on the other hand at $1800 an ounce your going to basically have to dig everything to find it anywhere from what I’ve seen. Yes most can’t afford jewelry anymore and it will be more scarce to find anywhere but so are old coins.
But with that mentality you can almost talk yourself out of the hobby as it would not be worth it at all especially to pay for your equipment. Usually the thrill of what you might find is what makes it interesting at least to me anyway. Unless you just want to clean up the parks and beaches nothing wrong with that.
Before you even decide location you have to decide what kind of detecting you want to do and that differs with everyone
In general if you dig everything your going to find more stuff no matter where you are
You might find one piece of gold at a tot lot that was worth more than 10 at the beach.
I have an open mind that about anything is possible. Keep in mind that people have been burying money and valuable’s since the beginning of time even dogs bury their bones. It a natural instinct kind of thing.
Its not just whats lost.
Again depends what interests you

Sorry guys...but I'm a trained Statistician...taught it on the University level. I know for a fact, some TID's yield 'probabilities' pointing directly at iron, foil, zinc cents, etc. I don't waste my time digging em...tooooooooo old and tooooooooo little time left to waste it chasing trash and back filling multitudes of fruitless holes. As for digging every (or even most) TIDs is (in my mind)...no better than hiring a 'back-hoe' and then sift every cubic yard. If TID's are meaningless (to your way of thinking)...then do ignore them...in fact, cover up or remove the screen from your machine.

Thanks for everyone's commentary, but I'll stick with probabilities and narrow my targets. And YES...I know about 'location' and beach hunting...but I ain't driving 6-7 hours, one-way with today's gas prices to 'maybe' pull out 1 or 2 rings. I have recovered gold on dry land...harder, but possible.

PS - FYI "Adult" rings (mens or womens) register better/higher than "children's.

The only thing TID can tell for certain but not 100%, are pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. Basically because they all are the same size and composition. Copper & zinc pennies will ring up different but you'll learn the difference. All silver coins will also have their own range. Other than that, its a crap shoot on gold. Due to soo many shapes, sizes, karat variables, it can come in anywhere. Couple of years ago I was hunting a beach and expected to see a zinc penny in my scoop. I was in total shock when there was a 22k humungous gold wedding band. I almost didnt dig it cause of the TID number. Been a beach hunter for over 20 years now, Never had a meter on any beach machine. Just dug anything that beeped. Now there are machines with meters that work in the wet, salt sand. Always trying to guess what's in the scoop. I, too am guilty of passing on the zinc.

In fact, last night, I ran into an area of zinc;s and didnt dig. Then I got a higher number zinc and decided to confirm it was a zinc. At first I thought, I just found my first gold ring with my new Deus 2.
As I was walking down the beach afterwards, I kept saying awfully high number for a gold ring. Only rings Ive found with zinc readings are high karat or extra large. Sure enough when I got back to the car, the ring was a POC !!!!

Like someone said, location, location, location. Much easier to dig everything at the beach than all the can slaw in the parks !!!!

In my 1st 18 months of detecting on land, I dug 10 pieces of gold. I dug that many in less than a month at the beach. But that was way back when gold was $300 oz and everyone could afford to buy real gold. Not the fake crap they sell today.

Want to find gold, Find a beach !!!!

HH
Donna(NJ)
Was that with the vanquish?

rings do not sink far grass roots will keep it close to the surface .. Myself I will X it with the detector put the pinpointer to the ground no signal one effort with the hand digger nothing I am moving to the next target

rings do not sink far grass roots will keep it close to the surface .. Myself I will X it with the detector put the pinpointer to the ground no signal one effort with the hand digger nothing I am moving to the next target
I hate to say this but one of my best HS return stories' was the deepest gold ring I ever found. I was lucky enough to have VERY clean elementary school field. You could dig virtually every target. Hardly any foil or pull tabs. I got a signal in the outfield and was digging with my Lesche. Just couldnt dig any more, couldnt get any more leverage on the lesche. Finally decided just to look in the hole. Sitting at the bottom was the gold HS ring !!!! Granted, it only happened once as I never found such a clean trash free inland site.

Long and short of the best return story was when I finally spoke with the owner. The ring was from the early 70's and I found it at least in the early 200?. The owner said, 'What am I going to do with it now !!!!! ' Ok, fine, I did my due diligence. She must be loaded. So there are some deep gold rings out there. Just never know. But I wouldnt be digging in grass with lots of trash. This place was an exception.

HH
Donna(NJ)

I hate to say this but one of my best HS return stories' was the deepest gold ring I ever found. I was lucky enough to have VERY clean elementary school field. You could dig virtually every target. Hardly any foil or pull tabs. I got a signal in the outfield and was digging with my Lesche. Just couldnt dig any more, couldnt get any more leverage on the lesche. Finally decided just to look in the hole. Sitting at the bottom was the gold HS ring !!!! Granted, it only happened once as I never found such a clean trash free inland site.

Long and short of the best return story was when I finally spoke with the owner. The ring was from the early 70's and I found it at least in the early 200?. The owner said, 'What am I going to do with it now !!!!! ' Ok, fine, I did my due diligence. She must be loaded. So there are some deep gold rings out there. Just never know. But I wouldnt be digging in grass with lots of trash. This place was an exception.

HH
Donna(NJ)
Wow so did she let you keep the ring lol
Was this in NJ

Wow so did she let you keep the ring lol
Was this in NJ
Yes, I kept the ring and it was in NJ. Like I said the best, non-return. I called the local HS librarian to check the year book. She said if it was the years 'Jack' was here, we dont have those yearbooks.
I asked, 'Jack who ???.... Jack Nicholson Thankfully it was a different year.

HH
Donna(NJ)
Was that with the vanquish?
No, it was with my trusty, first born, Shadow X2

I have two mens 14k gold bands so far, both in the nickel range. One humungous “Mr T” 14k gold necklace, again nickel range.
Scanned my own 14k band which is white gold and low nickel, the wife’s set with diamond? Foil. Now that was hard to explain!😂
So white gold is different than gold-gold so ya gotta expect size and other items associated with it or on it are going to influence the VDI/TDI and once you rely on that its going to affect your IQ.

Thats why i believe in just dig as many holes as you can and that amount will differ with people. Hence why they have discrimination.

Yes, I kept the ring and it was in NJ. Like I said the best, non-return. I called the local HS librarian to check the year book. She said if it was the years 'Jack' was here, we dont have those yearbooks.
I asked, 'Jack who ???.... Jack Nicholson Thankfully it was a different year.

HH
Donna(NJ)

No, it was with my trusty, first born, Shadow X2
Went to school in NJ curious as to what part