Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab x-terra 2 hour beach hunt

nuff coils

Had one of the best days beach hunting with the 305. Found a brand new Tungsten Carbide wedding band ($200) and an assortment of clad. I just needed to slow down a bit and listen more and got nice results.
Tried to upload pix to no avail.

That's great. Me and the wife went out yesterday so I could try out my new 705 and we had a blast. Just found a bunch of glad but it told me enough to know this detector will be with me a long time. My wife keeps saying she wants to go beach hunting but being in Dallas, Tx it's pretty far to get to the beach.

Which coil did you use?

10x5 HF18.75 kHz DD coil. The basic 9" MF 7.5 kHz coil probably would have found the ring but you never know. It was just fun to see coins in the scoop.
Good luck with your 705. It seems the more time you put in the better the payoff.

I have that coil also. It seems like there are times I would like to change coils in the middle of hunting but seems like a lot of trouble. I was using the 9 inch MF coil and ran into a couple of trashy places in the park. I would have like to changed to my 6 inch HF DD but was too lazy to way back to the truck.

I wonder how most hunt. Do you ever change up during a hunt or just decide at the beginning?

Yes. Usually I'm not too far from my car and have the extra coil mounted on a spare pole.That way it's not too painful to switch coils.
I also flip back and forth between all metal and disc 1 and 2. That way you know if your signal is a true one . That doesn't mean of course that the target will be a coin or jewellery but at least it's a legitimate target. Your 705 should really be a killer no matter where you hunt.
Good luck.

One more thing. If you ever do get to the beach the x-terras usually do better away from the water on dry sand as a rule. There may be beaches you can detect the waterline but usually they don't like the water. It's a little trial and error.

I also mounted each coil on it's owe lower and middle rod. I have 3 coils and I think that will about do it for me. Mine was the gold pack and came with the 5x10 HF, Then I got the 6 inch HF. This week I bought a used 9 inch concentric MF and it's what I hunted with Saturday. The 705 does have a beach ground mode so I don't know if that makes it work any differently than your 305.

I was hoping some others would jump in. This forum is very quiet. I know this detector has been out for a while but I just love it. My wife detects also and she uses a White's Classic ID. She can out dig me by 2 to one:) I bought her a second one as backup. We still have our original Shadow X2's. We only use them in the club's competition hunts because you can swing them so quickly. When that was all we had we use to find a lot more than we do now. Sometimes you depend to much on the display that you don't dig targets you should have. I also have a MXT and an Explorer SE Pro. The way I feel about the X-Terra now I really don't need the others. Not that I ever did but it's fun to play with the different ones.

Thanks for the beach tips. We are going to take off to Galveston at some point and see what we can find in the sand. My wife has had a scoop for years hoping I would take her. She gave up and uses it to pick up the dog poop now:)

Good to meet you and hope some other post soon.

Harold