Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack vs. Garrett GTI 2500 TreasureHound w/EagleEye Depth Multiplier Package

SkipSC

I know the prices are not in the same ballpark, but there is a reason I am asking this. I already have the X-Terra 705, and a friend just traded me his Garrett (used once) for a used 8 1/2 year old 250cc motorcycle trail bike that I had for sale. I told him the detector was worth more than twice the bike's value, but he didn't care. He just has no interest in detecting. Hey, to each his own. His father had bought him the detector as a surprise gift while visiting the U.S., and brought it back here to Ecuador where I/he lives. So of course, with his knowledge of the difference in value, and no problem with it, we made the trade. Hey, what are friends for? Now I am wondering if I really need two detectors. Gold is abundant in Ecuador, and it is literally untapped. There are a few gold mines in Ecuador that the citizens want to shut down because of the pollution they cause to the ground and rivers. One of these mines is only 2.4 kilometers from my house. A few detector friends and I are planning to hike the mountain below the mine and see if we can strike gold. We already have permission from a few home owners in the area. That is my main reason for wanting to hunt. I have an acquaintance that is an archeologist and he has dug up tons of gold, ancient Inca treasures, valuable coins, etc. He has actually written two books about gold in Ecuador. It is in all of the rivers, and mountains, and I live in the mountains in Southern Ecuador, near some good rivers. One of his books actually has maps of the country showing where the gold is. Lastly, some of the old timers who were born and raised in the area that I live have told me stories of local people just hiking through the mountains and picking up nuggets sitting right on top of the ground. I am so ready. So, my question again, which detector do you think would be best for the job. If I opt for the Garrett I am not planning on using the EagleEye. I am not willing to dig two or three meters down. There are way too many rocks in the soil in this area. Just maybe a maximum of a foot or so. Thanks, Sam

I would stick with the Xterra for starters. It is better balanced and a lot lighter. I never used an Xterra for prospecting for gold but used 3 different Minelabs Xterra for coin and relic hunting. I had the 50, 505 and the 70.

It is light and well balanced. And since people are finding nuggets on top of the ground I see no issue with depth with whatever coil you have for it.

The Garrett 2500 to me is a coin machine. It has the target sizing and all on the screen. It is still a good unit for general metal detecting. But your Minelabs has a special gold program that is higher gain and Low discrimination and that is what you want out int he gold fields.

I hope you share any gold you find and good luck!!!

I would stick with the Xterra for starters. It is better balanced and a lot lighter. I never used an Xterra for prospecting for gold but used 3 different Minelabs Xterra for coin and relic hunting. I had the 50, 505 and the 70.

It is light and well balanced. And since people are finding nuggets on top of the ground I see no issue with depth with whatever coil you have for it.

The Garrett 2500 to me is a coin machine. It has the target sizing and all on the screen. It is still a good unit for general metal detecting. But your Minelabs has a special gold program that is higher gain and Low discrimination and that is what you want out int he gold fields.

I hope you share any gold you find and good luck!!!
Thank you BigTim, that is just what I wanted to hear. I do like the Minelab X-Terra, and I think I'll stick with it. It's been a good, reliable machine for me. Again, I appreciate your point of view. Well taken. You can be sure if I dig up a nugget or more, I'll be sure to post pics. I am waiting for my new coil and wireless headphones to arrive from the States, and a friend is waiting for his detector to arrive from the States also, then a small group of us will be out hunting. Sam

Great to hear. Which coil did you get for it?? I used to really enjoy the 6 inch round 18khz coil. It was real good for coin shooting. I found lots of nice old coins with that set up.

Which machine is your friend waiting for???

Great to hear. Which coil did you get for it?? I used to really enjoy the 6 inch round 18khz coil. It was real good for coin shooting. I found lots of nice old coins with that set up.

Which machine is your friend waiting for???
I ordered the Minelab 10"x 5" Elliptical DD 18.75 kHz, and my friend is waiting for his Minelab Equinox 800

You both will be set for a while. The equinox is a good unit too. Although I did not try the 800 I had the 600. It has a nice display and is well balanced. Keep us posted!

You both will be set for a while. The equinox is a good unit too. Although I did not try the 800 I had the 600. It has a nice display and is well balanced. Keep us posted!
Will do. I can’t wait to get out there and get my hands dirty. 👍