Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab

Texan

Just traded and open for suggestions on the learning curve. Never used fbs while hunting.

On the Minelab Exlorer forum, (not this classroom) there are stickies at the top that explain settings and much more.
If you can get a copy of Andy Sabich book on Explorer/eTrac do so. Read the Explorer manual a few times.
Search this site and the Explorer forum, read up.
There are other posts on these forums that talk about what you are asking, so do a few searches and don't be afraid of asking questions, plenty of folks here will help.
Don't worry about the learning curve, use it and have fun. DOn't be afraid of Advance settings - that will help you with finding deeper stuff.

Texan said:
Just traded and open for suggestions on the learning curve. Never used fbs while hunting.
Texan, I bought my first Explorer a few weeks ago, so I'm in the same boat as you. There are a lot of good folks and a lot of good help available here, so make sure to take advantage of the stuff already posted. My biggest takeaway so far is how slow you have to hunt--you scan a signal and then wait for the detector to process it and give you the results--nothing like the instant info we get from our single frequency units. I won't add anything else here as it would probably be wrong. :laugh:

Unfortunately my Explorer is no longer powering on so is being shipped off for repair.

The only thing I might suggest(because there is SO much to suggest) is that you build a coin garden. Dimes are the most commonly found silver coin. Bury these different coins carefully and set the depths at the levels at which you expect to dig older coins(I assume that's what you hunt). Perhaps a silver dime at 5",7" and 9". That way you can hear the difference in response and be prepared for that while out hunting. It'll take a little time for the soil and garden to "mature" but it'll get you started in at least realizing HOW those deeper targets respond. Anybody can grab a machine and go find 0-6" targets(and a lot of people have). Now, in public places,we are cleaning up the coins next to junk or coins that were too deep to detect with yesterday's machines and hunters.
Lastly and quickly...learn to hunt using MANUAL sensitivity right off the bat. Learn how to adjust it to be optimized for the situation you are currently in. Semi-Auto sensitivity works well and is smoother and quieter...usually at the expense of depth though! If you need depth to get to the coins you want,Manual Sensitivity must be employed in many cases.

Keep it simple to begin with...couple of trips with an Experienced Explorer guy is worth its weight in gold if he is willing to guide you...