Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mineral ID

Mineral Master

Hey all I found this mineral on one side its fluorite(sorry don't have that side in the pic) But the other side has this mineral [attachment 342964 pictrure.jpg]

If you're talking about the yellow material under the purple fluorite it's fluorite also. If you talking about that crusty stuff put some diluted HCL (10% HCL) on it and see if it fizzes. If it does it's probable a limestone. If it doesn't I have no idea with getting my hands on it.

calcite is often found with fluorite.

Mineral Master said:
Does Calcite come in this color?

yes.
where did you find the sample? that could say a lot.

eta: another place you may want to ask if you aren't satisfied with what we can speculate, is the McRocks board. http://mcrocks.websitetoolbox.com/categories

Well I found in a field, near where some construction had recently taken place. Sooooo is it calcite, or fluorite? And should i try and remove the limestone on it?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. –Ronald Reagan

No , I mean where like "eastern Tennessee or central Missouri". That'll tell us about what is normally found in the area. Certain rocks tend be found together.

To tell calcite v fluorite, you can look at the cleavage or the hardness. http://geology.com/minerals/mohs-hardness-scale.shtml

Your call for what you'd like to have, but I wouldn't remove the limestone. Its a nice looking specimen as it is imo.

This link do you any good?
https://wgnhs.uwex.edu/minerals/fluorite/
Do any hardness tests yet?

Drop some HCL on it then. If it fizzes it's calcite but I've seen too many samples like this to think it's calcite. Could be but doubt it. Also calcite is slightly softer than fluorite, if you have a piece of calcite see if the purple fluorite scratches the yellow stuff. Be careful you don't mistake the residue left by the fluorite as a scratch on the calcite. Make sure there is really a scratch.

OK I tried scratching the yellow stuff with a different piece of fluorite that I had, it didn't leave a scratch on either mineral. Does this mean its fluorite as well?

Most likey, yes.

But please believe that IDing from just a picture on the internet isn't an exact science. If you have a local college with a geology department or even just a professor, take it there and ask them to be certain.