Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mineralization

wpotter

With reference to the V3, is there a consensus on what values (percentages) constitute low, medium, and high values of mineralization. I have seen several values mentioned, but they seem to vary.

I'm not an expert on mineralization, but, from what I've absorbed so far, I think that there are many different types of mineralization. The soil might be "mineralized" by the use of fertilizer or because the soil has a large iron content or because the soil may contain a combination of substances that affect the detector. I think that mineralization could probably be defined (in regards to md'ing) as "any soil condition that can affect the detector's electromagnetic field". Mineralization usually results in lost depth and instability as the machine has to compensate for the intervening soil matrix.

The only thing we have to go on with the V is the Ground Probe function. I guess you could gather ground probe data from as many locations as possible, find the high and low values and assign low, medium and high ranges to the data.

Ground Probe - Highlight Ground Tracking, press Zoom
Provides helpful information -
- To determine the severity of ground (weak ground vs strong ground).
- Targets can also be analyzed for VDI number, phase and target
strength at each frequency. To use - (from Zoomed Live Control)
Menu/Tab to Zero and press Enter with loop in air. Hold loop on the
ground or target to read results.
- Sensitivity, and Ground Track Live controls - When Zoomed, (highlight then press ZOOM)
provide additional measurements used for advanced comparisons and option selections.
- Sensitivity Live Control Zoomed

Here is close to what Anne had posted a while back. The percentages where suggested and RC Snake, (Bob), Bob agreed they where probably a good guide.

If you have ground coming in at -94(VDI) with a signal strength of 2% and another ground coming in at -91 with a signal strength of 7%, it would seem to me that the ground coming in at -91 is more mineralized even though it is a less negative VDI. 0-10%=low mineralization, 11-25%=moderate and 25% on up = high/very high. The lower the mineralization, the slower one should sweep - which may mean a lower filter should be selected. ANNE

This was followed by Carl's comment.
The "severity" of the ground has more to do with the signal strength than the phase. The phase tells you composition (between purely ferrous and purely salt), while the signal strength tells you the concentration. Carl [attachment 161232 Reading.gif] Rob

Phase tells you the type of ground. The 0 (zero) end of the scale is conductive, the -95 end of the scale is magnetic.

Mineralization is a reference to the magnetic end of the scale and refers to the presence of magnetic iron based minerals.

Wet salt sand is not mineralized, it is conductive. However, you can have wet salt sand that also contains mineralization (iron minerals).

The probe feature would tell you the strength of the conductive salts ( for phase numbers close to 0) or the strength of the magnetic iron minerals (for phase numbers closer to -95).

It has been my experence that knowing both the phase and the strength make it much easier to setup you detector correctly for the site. I use these features all the time on my F5, (and in the past the T2/F75/Tek Omega) and hope the V3 will make a good complimentary machine.

HH
Mike