Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

mineralization????

KY PI

I'm really not sure I know enough to even ask a question but here goes...... I got my 1st detector, MXT Pro, last fall and a week or so after getting it I had an accident that required arm and shoulder surgery. My MXT Pro came with a 12" coil which is very heavy but I also got the 4x6 shooter coil at the time of purchase. I probably have less than 20 hours of actual swing time but much more than that in reading the forums. I am now able to go out to MD (even though it is snowing today) but am finding the 12" coil pretty heavy. I tried the shooter coil but can't cover much ground. I thought I'd post to see what everyone recomends for a lighter, general purpose coil but while reading I learned that round coils are better for low mineralized ground while double d's work best in higher mineralized soil. Now I AM confused. I live in northeastern KY in a county that has some pretty good coal reserves and a lot of wells with"red" water. I took my MXT Pro out and put it in prospecting mode and it reads 83. Does that mean we have high mineralization? Would a double d coil be better or would a 8x6 sef coil work well? I had originally thought that maybe I should get a 9.5 coil like the one that originally came with the MXT but is that much lighter that the 12"? I really need someone to hunt with but can't find anyone or any clubs in the area. Any help for this newbie will be appreciated!!!!! BTW, all the posts I have been reading has really been helpful, just not on this specific problem! AND please be kind even though tomorrow is April Fool's Day! LOL!!!!

As far as the Whites line of coils (which is all I use) my first response would be to give the 6x10 DD a try with the mineralization level in your ground being what it is. That being said, the 5.3 is also a possible option. I love the 5.3 in most situations but my ground is somewhat milder. Monte gives some valuable (i.e. experienced) advice about the 5.3 and high mineralization on another post in this forum comparing performances of the 4x6 to the 5.3. . . check it out. Good luck . .

Hi KY PI,

Have come to realize there is nothing more helpful to a new detectorist than a detecting club with experienced members. They can advise you and probably show you what techniques and equipment work best in your specific hunting area. I found 4 clubs listed in Kentucky. Even if you have to drive some distance to attend meetings, it may be well worth you while.

Hope one of these is a help to you.
Bob

Northern KY Treasure Hunting Club
Florence, KY USA
E-Mail: commoncents@nkthc.com
http://www.nkthc.com/
Meets:eek:n the last Monday of each month at 7:00 pm at the Boone County High School Media Center on Burlington Pike in Florence.

Frankfort
Kentucky Artifact Recovery and Preservation Society
Dave Shuffett,
2105 Crystal Creek Dr.
Frankfort, KY 40601

Marion
Tri-State Treasure Hunters
Tri-State Treasure Hunters Attn: Rick,
229 West Depot St.
Marion, KY 42064
1-270-965-2713

Louisville
Bluegrass Relic Recovery
Don Forrest
bgrelicrecovery@yahoo.com
www.bgrelic.org.

I honestly believe that search coil selection can be more important than picking a particular make or model detector. It's also easier to answer simple things like, how to pick a search coil, than it is to understand someones health limitations. Unless you have endured some of the physical pain or challenges someone else does, it might not be easy to understand how they might feel during a search.

KY PI said:
I'm really not sure I know enough to even ask a question but here goes.
If yo, anyone else, or I don't understand something about a technical topic, we obviously don't know enough to have an answer, therefore we should know enough about the importance of asking a question. Never hesitate.

KY PI said:
I got my 1st detector, MXT Pro, last fall and a week or so after getting it I had an accident that required arm and shoulder surgery.
An excellent detector selection! :) .... Not so great about the accident and limitations. :(

I hope you are mending well and can get out hunting this year. It might be a bit of an ache and pain for a while, but easing into it will help with a little exercise.

KY PI said:
My MXT Pro came with a 12" coil which is very heavy but I also got the 4x6 shooter coil at the time of purchase. I probably have less than 20 hours of actual swing time but much more than that in reading the forums. I am now able to go out to MD ... but am finding the 12" coil pretty heavy. I tried the shooter coil but can't cover much ground. I thought I'd post to see what everyone recomends for a lighter, general purpose coil ...
The 12" round concentric coil is a very good coil , but mainly for coverage and depth of detection ... but mainly depth on moderate to larger-size target. It is a bit heavy. Personally, I wish they wouldn't have offered it as a stock coil on the MXT 300 or especially the MXT Pro.

What makes the MXT Pro so different from the original MXT? Other than the Ground Grab and back-light (both the main reasons I like the MXT Pro), it features the 7-Tone audio tone ID like the M6. Who really benefits the most from searching with Tone ID? Coin Hunters. Where do Coin Hunters usually search? In trashier sites and that calls for a smaller-size search coil, not a larger one.

The Shooter coil is an 'OK' elliptically-shaped Double-D coil and some like it for the trashiest of sites. I've owned as few but they just didn't provide what I wanted/needed from the MXT or M6. The best smaller-than-stock coil for these models, in my personal and biased opinion, is the 5.3 Eclipse. It measures 6