Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mini and micro jewelry

scoopjohnb

Well beach has been pretty hammered all summer.
So thought I'd give the small jewelry hunting a go.

18 kHz GMP program with disc at 5, reactivity 1
Air tested on a gold chain and earring, got about 2,5-3" of depth.

Result, .... well I didn't know foil could get this small!
Little kids should be imprisoned for rolling little foil balls and finger flicking them at their brother or sister.
A few coins on edge I presume, very short signals, but coins none the less.
And the omnipresent pull tab!

So my guess is, the small bling is out of reach, or simply isn't there.
Plenty of foil and pull tabs everywhere, so everyone else is discriminating a whole lot!!

Bump that reactivity up to about 3 maybe 4. You aren't gonna find tiny stuff deep anyway but you can find it in the first four or so inches. That higher reactivity won't let anything slip by. I move the coil slower also. Tiny stuff is cool.......... This machine will find it.

I'll give it a try next time.
With regards to the tiny stuff, the Deus sure does pick it up.
Targets everywhere in the foil/jewelry range.
And I need to rethink efficient small target recovery.

After the volleyball court this morning, I'm beginning to suspect that standard coil and 18 kHz setting is just lacking depth.
Sand is nearly hourglass stuff, you can pick it up and it weasels through your hand.
Discrimination isn't a problem, only need to bump out small iron.

So I'm beginning to think in the lines of dedicated gold PI unit??
Or maybe the large coil and 12 KHz.

You will be surprised how deep it will go. Try 12 khz as well. I find it works almost as good as 18 and a bit deeper, just not as sensitive.

The 18 khz is very deep on normal coin and jewelry sized stuff with this machine. Micro like you are talking about 3 maybe 4 inches deep.

Indeed the Deus and other machines running at 18 kHz often surprise you at what depth they can achieve on coins and rings,... most of the time more than enough.
I have this 10x5" coil running on another machine roughly at the same frequency and it will do more than ample for recent downtrodden drops.
And even repeatable whispers of coins on edge in amongst iron.

But if the coins are downtrodden to more than 4", I roughly measure that in single or double scoop targets.
Then probably the micro stuff is at this range as well.
Foil always seems to "float" to the surface,... or thick wads of the stuff at depth.

Anyhow, I'll give the 12 kHz and large coil a go this evening, who knows ...

Been a little worse for wear these last few days.
So not much detecting going on, a bit of reading, some detecting speculation and watched NASA-Tom's over energetic detecting videos.
Even lifting my herbal tea with honey and other medicinal properties requires too much energetic effort.

Anyhow just thinking.
Micro jewelry conductivity and wet sand conductivity is a big problem.
But what happens when the dry sand gets a decent helping of rain and the salt gets activated??
Non micro jewelry hunting weather conditions, a big loss of depth, stability issues ??

Sifting the micro jewelry at the beach is great stuff, how about narrowing it down to a hand full of sand.
Dump the sand in a large pouch and sift at home gold panning style??
Would give me something to do when the wife is nagging.

Just thinking, need to get out detecting!