Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minlab meter problem

kered

The other day i had a bit of bad luck and got my meter wet and i imediately switched off and took it out of the line(i also have a sunray probe connected) and finished the day without it.
When i got home i openned it up and dried it with a hair dryer. After drying it out i left it in a warm place for a week to make sure it was properly dry.
I have connected it again and it reads 000 and sometimes 001, no response to targets, anyone got any ideas which part is damagged by the water or my heavyhandedness stripping it down, all the wires are conected and if i touch the orange wire the numbers change eratically once i let go its back to 000, i desoldered the orange wires and resoldered but its still the same. Any ideas anyone?

Maybe i'll just replace all th components and see what happens as the display seems fine

It might be worth leaving it in the airing cupboard for a week if you have one. I have known mobile phones that have had a dunking come back to life after a week in the airing cupboard. That's what I would try anyway.

...Failing that , you could try sealing it up in a plastic bag with a few of those silica gel sachets that absorb moisture. Microwave them first for 30 seconds to dry them out totally, then chuck them in with the meter and seal the bag.

thanks for your replies

Hi Ed, all fixed thanks, the 9v are still going strong too :clapping:

Pleased to hear it. What did you do with the meter in the end - just in case anything happens to mine ?!!
Glad the PP3's are still doing the bizz for you mate - I'm still very pleased with mine too.

A bit of Sods law in this one Ed, apart from opening the meter i also opened the plug (control box end)as it plugs into the sun ray and got wet too.
During reassembly one very fine strand of one of the wires was not soldered in place and with my manipulation was touching another pin that it wasn't supposed to, hence a short and the sods law of the 5 wires it just happened to be the one that drives the meter.