Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mirage Beach Hunter Pi Project

Sven

Cannibalized some White's Beach Hunter ID parts awhile back for a water hunting project.
Something I have been working on and off for two years after I fried the first circuit board by reversing the battery wires. So it sat, until a new board was made. And in the meantimesold the search coil I had made for it.

Well, this weekend it all came together. Used the search coil I made for it a week ago and an new circuit board built a year ago.

Was planning on selling it until I fired it up with the new 9.5" circuit board That was also calibrated a year ago.

Surprised, how stable and that this is one of the hottest units I have built. Still got a clear threshold change passing my 14kt gold wedding band across the coil at 16".

Think I will be keeping this one, at least until I get another water unit made up.

Dang it, Sven. Now, my unit won't be the first.

Was planning to do the same thing with one of the kits that I got from you. Still have it and the other kit that you sent, just as I received them, in pieces! I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get to working on them?? To be honest, I have a hard time seeing the parts. hah!

Nice job on the unit. :clapping:

Daddy said:
What size coil is that, Sven?

I used the new 9.5" spoked coil shell design from from Don.

One day you'll get one finished, a good winters project............a good set of magnifying glasses work wonders for many.

Hi Sven

nice to see your project using the beach hunter ID box....i bought one of these boxes about a year ago and im trying to install a tdi pro in the box and im slowly getting there...i had to modify the battery box to take four li-ion batteries....i have heard stories of these boxes leaking under water but i only intend using it in the surf and not diving...as i cannot swim anyway :)

daverave said:
Hi Sven

nice to see your project using the beach hunter ID box....i bought one of these boxes about a year ago and im trying to install a tdi pro in the box and im slowly getting there...i had to modify the battery box to take four li-ion batteries....i have heard stories of these boxes leaking under water but i only intend using it in the surf and not diving...as i cannot swim anyway :)

I can see them leak if the rubber o-ring isn't in place correctly. Also the center mounting screw hole tabs on the upper lid tend to crack. Possibly due to the screws not being put on in a particular order and torqued down to tight. Put the o-ring and lid on can be a real pain. The fastest easiest way I found was to clean the o-ring, do not lube with silicone grease yet. Place on lower box, then wipe some lube on it gently. Then carefully place the top on. A pre-lubed o-ring has a mind of its own and won't stay put- plus its messy, get all over things......

Now that this Mirage is finished, I will continue on with my new waterproof build. Good for 200' submersed.