Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Missing car key

Gerald_G

This post is a little long, but hopefully entertaining enough to be worth a read.

Friday, it snowed off and on all day. My wife had taken my younger son to Edmonton for an MRI, so when my older son and I got home from work, we wanted to have supper made, etc. for when they got home.

We decided to quickly clean the 5 or so cm of fresh snow off of the walk, and driveway before supper so that the walk would be clear for them. Then we went inside and started supper.

All night it snowed Friday night. Red Deer reported 29cm. Saturday afternoon my son and I went out to start clearing the driveways, and walk. We cleared a lot of snow, and while clearing off the pickup, I broke the ice scraper blade, so I needed to borrow the brush from my car (in the garage). I went inside to get the keys, and could not find them.

I was not too worried, and assumed I had put them someplace other than the key rack, and since I found the car un-locked, I simply borrowed the brush, and we kept shovelling.

Later in the evening while watching Hockey Night in Canada, I spent time looking in the usual places for my keys, and coming up empty. I started trying to retrace my steps from Fri night. hmmm.... shovelled snow... made supper. Oh! Shovelled snow, what if they fell out of the useless pocket of my jacket, and are now buried in a snow bank out there somewhere? As more places in the house resulted in no keys, I became convinced that they were indeed in the snow.

After hockey, I went outside, and got my metal detector out, and started sifting through the piles of snow around the place. I was worried that the city would plow soon, and my keys might even be trucked away if they hauled some snow by truck. I stayed out looking till 5:30 Sunday morning, and then come in for some sleep.

Sunday afternoon, I started searching some more. I kept at it, shovelling snow onto cleared lawn, mushing it flat, detecting for the keys, and then re-piling the snow in a new pile. I worked till midnight or so, and was forced to give it up, when my detector batteries died. Weather of -17 degrees is hard on batteries.

My neighbors dropped by, and checked out the excitement. One thought I was just building my annual igloo, and another said I was more "persistent" than him. I think "stubborn" may better apply.

Monday, I brought my car VIN into work, to start the process of having keys made from the VIN. I consulted the world

I like your story. You saved yourself some money. I have a few keys made. I leave one in the van. Keep a key ring in my pocket. Have a spare van key I keep in my wallet. We all learn from to many mistakes. That is good you found your keys. We don't have any snow here in Indiana yet. I know it is coming.... KEN

Thanks for sharing.:thumbup: Glad to see you scored!:clap:

I personally know this person, whom while THing, happened to notice his truck keys were still in the ignition as his carefully locked door clicked shut. :huh:

As luck would have it he was also about 3 miles, down a dirt road, from the closest phone and NO spare key. :rage:

He now carries a spare key in his wallet, another carefully hidden on the outside of said vehicle plus a cell phone.:thumbup:

Out of respect for said person his user name will remain confidential. :blush:

AhhhhhhhhhhhMan I'm just trying to make you smile a little from all you went through. Glad you found the keys..and got all that exercise moving snow . !!

LOL - Elton - good one. Actually I took them off because the locksmith had become Plan A by then Further searching was plan B.

About three weeks ago I decided to go spend some time at the beach. Arrived and parked the car, opened the trunk and removed my scoop, since I did not want to get my wallet and money clip wet I placed them along with my cell phone in the trunk and closed the trunk lid. It was then that I realized that I had laid the keys in the trunk also while I retrieved my scoop. Walked to the front of the car to retrieve my detector as it was too long to fit in the trunk and lo and behold both doors are locked. No spare hidden on the vehicle.

Thankfully a young man was kind enough to let me use his cell phone. Called my wife and asked her to come rescue me. Cooled my heels for close to an hour while she drove 32 miles to where I was. Had a good afternoon detecting the beach even with my goof.

Absent minded old men should be more careful.

I also did that exact same thing with the car trunk out fishing one day - led to a late evening walk of 10-12 miles.