Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Missouri Battlefield Relic Hunt

jimmyk

Hi, All:

Spent some time hunting a favorite spot. A Missouri battlefield on private property with land owners permission. Hunted three specific locations within the confines of the battle. An open area where fired relics have been found. Both bullets and shell frags. A known picket post,. And where the town hotel and stage coach stop were located, shortly after the war.

I used a Blisstool with a 15" coil for the field hunt, which netted me five shot bullets, a harness buckle with the faint outline of a heart in the center, and a wadded up piece of flat lead. The lead may be part of a sabot. There looks to be faint rifling marks. It was a full 10" deep and the Blisstool banged the signal out like it was on top of the ground.

The next spot was a junkey picket post I've previously found several drop bullets and pieces of cavalry spur. I only found a .54 cal. minie and a .69 cal. round ball. I was using a Deep Tech Vista Gold with it's extremely fast recovery speed to see if I could rescue a few more relics from the hard hit area.

Finally, I moved to where the hotel and stage socah stop wereonce located. It's now a feed lot for horses. The Deep Tech sounded like a machine gun with all the nails and junk it was searching through. Found lots of copper, tin and brass trash in the mix. Was able to pull the cavalry spur piece as well as an old Shield nickle,. It was in pretty good shape with a readable date of 1868. I've hunted this area several times before, but wanted to see what the Deep Tech would do. It worked well. This was the fourth Shield nickle recovered from the site, as well as an 1876 Quarter found there in the '80s.

Thanks for looking. Always fun to dig some more relics from hard hit areas.

jimmyk in Missouri