Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Missouri hunters

Larry (IL)

I am reading a great reference book that lists a lot of specific camps, skirmishes, artillery stands and battles right down to the property owners name and location that should make it very easy to locate today. If you hunt Missouri, I would say this book is a must have. It is a paperback, 350 pages and can be had cheap from Amazon. It is not an easy read or all that entertaining but it does have some interesting stories, but it is loaded with useful info for hunters and historians.

The Civil War in Missouri, Day by Day 1861 - 1865 by Carolyn M. Bartels

I am looking for places to hunt in NE MO and this book lists a lot of activity around Kirksville that is not in the history books, before during and after the battle of 8-6-1862. This is just one example and typical of all activity in Missouri.

Hey, Larry,

THANK YOU for the tip on the Civil War book, and it's day to day information on the Civil War in Missouri. I will definitely check with Hastings, or, Barnes and Noble to see if they have the book, or, get someone to order a copy for me off of Amazon.

Bartels book sounds like a MUST HAVE.

Nestor

:thumbup: Mine was listed as a used book for less than $6 but when it came, it was brand new. I thought for $6 I would take a chance.....:biggrin:

Thanks for the tip, Larry. The used ones are now $15, so you got a good deal. If I get one good lead, it will be worth ten times what I paid.

keep on diggin[

jimmyk in Missouri

I would put money on it Jimmy. I think I know where you are and you had a LOT of CW activity all around you, some of it major. You should never run out of places to hunt.....:biggrin:

It is a great book. Carolyn has a small publishing company that publishes mostly Civil War nonfiction, and some historical fiction. I highly recommend her website and search some of the other titles published by Two Trails Publishing. Theircatalog is full of good looking titles Of particular usefullness for Missouri State Guard (Confederate militia) matters is Sterling Price's Lieutenants by Richard Peterson, which I also own and enjoy.

http://www.civilwarbooklady.com/