Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mod upgrading Tesoro Silver Sabre Discr to Triple Discrimination System

Bleaver

Several months ago

Thank you.
It does work very well. There really is very little room in the box. I should of kept the wire to shorter lengths because it takes up a lot more room than you'd think. I was afraid of breaking wires though kept them all at 6 inches. You will notice that I have a bit of tape on the discrimination pot's wires. since i was working with them the most I kept them locked down to insure they didn't break at the circuit board.

I've enjoyed the performance of the Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax with its upgraded Discrimination to the Triple Discrimination System that I'm going to do the same mod to my older Vaquero. I like the sound of Vaquero "3D" What you you think? By the same token I guess I'd call the 1st mod a "Silver Sabre uMax 2D".

One thing I like about this mod is there are no changes to the circuit board. If there are ever any problems you only have to remove three wires from the discrim pot, reconnect one and the detector is back to stock.

To make the Vaquero 3D, my plan is to move the pinpoint to under the rod like Sven's Cibola mod. I'll install a second discrim pot in the vacated pinpoint buttom hole. The nickle discrim will continue to be an internal fixed set trim pot.

That will give me two variable pots and one fixed. I really don't see any advantage in having a variable pot for the nickle setting. I can see a lot of advantage for the Zink range pot being variable. I think this will be a terrific machine with manual ground balance and the triple discrimination setting.

Awesome. This was a long time ago that I did this mod to my vaquero it worked great and I wanted to do the triple disc mod but I never got around to it I got the switch but sold the vaquero and outlaw but now im looking to add a g/b and sensitivity pot to my cleansweep compadre. Glad to see someone took this mod on and that it worked out like intended. Im going to end up with this mod on an outlaw ive just got to get my hands on another one. HH

I did a second mod like this to a Vaquero, it's in this mod forum too. I learned a lot between the two mods. The Vaquero post has quite a bit better description and pictures explaining how I did it.

In comparison between the two I'd say the sounds of Silver Sabre uMax 3D is smoother and gives a little more information in the sounds presented. The coils I use with this the Silver 3D are the stock brown round, the 5.75 round concentric, and the cleansweep. All of these coil work great although I find the smaller 5.75 concentric is the most used.

The Vaquero 3D has the advantage of having the ground balance. It works well also. I use the stock coil and the 5.75 round concentric on it. The Stock is the one on it most of the time.

These 3D machines work very similarly to the Golden uMax. Close enough that I just sold the Golden. The way I use these 3D's is to listen to all targets over foil then catigorizing those into the ranges of Nickle - Tab - and Coin by using the 3-way toggle switch. Of course you also have the choice of not using the preset toggle and just using the discrim knob in the standard tesoro way.

If you notice my signature you will see I also have a Troy X5. I love that machine, operationally it is as close to a Tesoro that you will find in any other make of detector. The X5's descrimination system along with Spellmans earlier mod adding a fixed discrimination check toggle were the motivation and inspiration for doing these mods.

O-O-O I'm getting an idea on how the add a wide/narrow selector to the Silver Sabre uMax 3D making it a 4D that is functionally a manual golden.

Just to update where I've had success and not.

1. This modification has worked Perfectly on a Silver Sabre, Vaquero, and a Troy X2.

2. It did not work on the current Silver model. I believe this has to do with the discrimination circuit also emulates/imitates all metal without actually being all metal.

3. If I can find a cheap Compadre that would be the next detector I

I just did this to my water proofed compadre. Didnt realize others had done it before. I put 3 external pots on mine so I could adjust on the fly. I ran my wires different. I ran 3 100k pots with a 3 position switch to change between them. red goes to the switch and then out to the 3 pots black and white go to each individually.
file.php

What are the Pot settings on you Compadre?
1. Low foil
2. Nickle
3. Zink penny
That is how I would set up a Silver uMax. In the water I'd keep it an Low Foil. I think removing the variable pot and putting 3 fixed pots would work on the current Silver uMax since it worked on your Compadre.

The quality of the discrimination is not changed by this mod. It only adds two preset discrimination points one for Nickle and on for Zinc pennies. I set the regular discrimination to foil (usally where the large drink foil just breaks-up) then classify remaining targets into Nickle range, Coin range, and pulltap range. When using this system I may selectively dig perfect sounding targets is the pulltap range, but mostly stick to the Nickle and Coin range. I have found 5 gold rings in the Nickle range in the past 12 months this way. Works for me.