Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Modified a stud-finder for pinpointing

BeyWolf

I saw a picture of the Zircon stud finder on the internet and thought it might work as a pin-pointer. When I got it I realized it would never hold up to probing in the dirt. The plastic housing is too thin and weak.

I decided to make a stronger housing in a more usable shape. I used 1" PVC fittings and 1/2" CPVC water pipe. The grey reducer is a PVC conduit fitting from the electrical department. The finished pin-pointer is 9-1/2" by 5-1/2"

I can't recommend doing this project for somebody who just wants a cheap pin-pointer. It took a lot of work to make everything fit. You have to love doing difficult projects as much as you love metal detecting.
If anyone else is crazy enough to want to try this I can post a schematic I made to help me chop up the board and get everything reconnected.

The finished pin-pointer is very sturdy, has about the same sensitivity as a Cen-Tech but doesn't need any adjusting like the Cen-Tech does. I didn't use the low volume buzzer that was in the stud-finder. I'm happy with the row of LEDs that shows if you are moving closer to the target.

I plan on making another pin-pointer from scratch using my own circuit design. and a smaller housing.

I like it, yes, I would like to have the just to see if I could build on too (gotta have something to do during teh winter months)
Don

Thank you for the compliments. For me this was a prototype. After field testing it I really can't recommend using the Zircon circuit and this style of enclosure.

Problems with the Zircon:
The buzzer isn't loud enough for a pin-pointer. That's why I left it out.
The sensor winding doesn't like having it's wires extended. Makes it a little flakey.
Having the LEDs so far from the probe tip makes it hard to watch for the target and read the LEDs at the same time.

Problems with the enclosure:
It was bigger and heavier than I liked or needed.
The shape didn't give me the right leverage for pushing the probe around in the dirt.

If you can figure out how to beef up the probe tip on the original Zircon you might have a good usable pin-pointer.

I am still uploading the schematic for the Zircon in case anyone needs it for any reason. I am also uploading the schematic I made for the Cen-Tech. This is a simpler and easier to repair circuit.

I also have three pictures of the next enclosure I'm using with my own circuit. It uses 3/4" PVC instead of 1". I'm going to use a smaller button too. Today I ordered the electronic parts I need. One picture shows the sensor coil I wound and have been experimenting with. I should be able to detect a dime at 2 inches. (I'm an optimist)
I plan to include the option of having a buzzer or a vibrator plus a variable rate blinking LED. When I complete my next pin-pointer I will share all the details on this forum. I estimate about a month. (I'm an optimist)
I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas for features that anyone would like to have in a pin-pointer. Also let me know if I made any mistakes in the schematics.