Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mohave and other Tesoro coils

joe dirt_1

I ordered a new Mohave yesterday and was curious if anyone had used their other Tesoro coils on the Mohave yet.
The coils I have to try are the 8" brown donut coil, the clean sweep coil, the RSD DD coil, and the troy Super 7 coil off my Shadow X2.
I'm really interested in the RSD DD coils performance if anyone has tried that combination yet, but would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with coils other that the stock Mohave coil.......Thanks

Roger

thin-profile different 6" Concentric coils [size=small](Tesoro named 5.75)[/size], and a 10X12 DD on my Mojave. I also compared the new Precision 7 " Concentric with my Bandido, Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX. I do not have a Clean Sweep as didn't care for them, and the only RSD coil I have is for my Vaquero, so I can't check that. But after swapping coils around and doing some test, which was time consuming and included a lunch break, I determined that for me and for the types of sites I hunt that I actually preferred the Precision 7" Concentric on the Mojave and that's where it stays.

I liked the thin 6" coils on my original Bandido and Silver Sabre µMAX better, and the white 'donut' 8" coil on my Bandido II µMAX for times when I might benefit from its slightly larger size coil in more open/spare target areas. By the way, I prefer the 8' donut coil to the 8X9. Most of my detecting in in brushier sites, those with building rubble, or just a lot of dense trash, especially iron. :rant:

Since I started long ago I've generally used a coil in the 5" to 7" diameter size for most efficiency in places I like to hunt and I feel the new 7" Concentric is a choice match-up for the also new Mojave.

Usually, at least with a lot of analog based detectors I've used, I have not been too impressed with the results of using a DD where I go, but I do use some makes and models with DD coils. My long-time preference has been using Concentric coils and while I have the 8X11 RSD Double-D coil for open area searches with my Vaquero, all other Tesoro coils I own and use are Concentrics. Also, while the Mojave does have the twin-GB setting toggle switch, I prefer to use manual GB detectors when ever I am going to switch coils around.

Since the new 7" and Mojave are a nice match, and after trying several other coils, I didn't find any benefit to switch coils on my Mojave. I am always interested, however, if how other people hunt and their coil selection, so share with us whatever you find works for you.

Monte

Thank you Monte, as always very helpful information.

Not yet, but I will on my outlaw and bandido II micromax.

I pretty much never take the small coils off my detectors because of the areas I hunt are usually infested with sage brush and high trash. I have tried the 5.75 on my Mojave and seemed to get about the same performance as the 7in but the larger 7 gave more ground coverage so I leave it on there now.

Harold, when time permits I also want to do a direct comparison of my Troy shadow super 7 and the Tesoro 7 precision coil.
I had the Troy rebuilt last year to new functioning status and the new 7 looks very similar. Allen told me the windings are different in the Troy though as per Troy's design. But I'd like to see.
Before the new 7 came the Troy 7 was selling for hundreds online

Yeah that would intresting as People rave about Troy coils. I been wanting to Find a Super 9, But they are rare as Hens teeth.