Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monday in the park. Fought the demons and won!

Ronstar

Well after yesterday I had to go back up there, wouldn’t you?? The heat is coming back on so I waited until the temp started to rescind around 5:30 and headed back up. I decided to stay in the dirt area next to the big sidewalk and work down slope.
Fired up the Legend and all was good so started down slope, nice and quiet and the shade was quite pleasant. Hit a nice deep 46 so hoping silver dime. And now the story begins.
Located center and pinpointer was showing a go so dug full spade down and flipped the plug out. Grabbed the carrot and turned it on and it started vibrating in mid air about 12” above the surface. Tried to go inside the plug but just kept reacting all around the plug. Turned it off and restart, still doing it. For whatever reason I turned it horizontal and it quit, returned to vertical and back to vibrating. Ok, change battery thinking maybe the problem, nope continued. I’m on the edge of entering the EMI Hell Zone so lets see what happens if I go back up to where I was yesterday. SAME PROBLEM 🤬
Decided to cross over the big sidewalk and away from that and see if that makes a difference. Well, detector back to normal so started to hunt there. Immediately locks on 55 and deep, ok…… carrot comes out and starts vibrating. I tried to insert carrot into the plug hoping if I can touch it maybe it would lock on solid, nope. So I made a critical decision to mark the plug and move quite aways out, no use possibly damaging a good target. So far so good, all normal now.
About 15-20 minutes in the detector makes a noise like the automated noise you get on a call “the number you called is not a valid number” type be-de-deep…. Everything all around me went back to normal. I went back to where I was yesterday and all was good. Whatever they were doing up they stopped.
Went back to the 55 plug, still there, redug, pushed carrot in and a solid I’m on it vibration, flipped the plug a bit deeper and out pops a Barber Half Dollar. 😳😳😳
The aliens began another attack so I just moved away and called it good FOR NOW.
If anybody has an answer for this one please enumerate. No chatter on the detector, the carrot was the go to tool.
Other than a couple rim nicks and a gash along her jawline she’s in pretty shape fof 120 yrs old!

Attachments

• AC9CB718-0C98-4EA2-BBA0-DB8763C85364.jpeg
    AC9CB718-0C98-4EA2-BBA0-DB8763C85364.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
  • 2B03339D-BF94-4F8D-99CB-A10AE526DF90.jpeg
    2B03339D-BF94-4F8D-99CB-A10AE526DF90.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 114
  • F755A5D5-18C0-49B1-8B46-4A4CF00199FA.jpeg
    F755A5D5-18C0-49B1-8B46-4A4CF00199FA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
  • 4A15C000-535B-4F59-A6E6-F294A1D0D8C8.jpeg
    4A15C000-535B-4F59-A6E6-F294A1D0D8C8.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 123
  • A009EAE5-2712-4813-9C8A-72DEC14CE001.jpeg
    A009EAE5-2712-4813-9C8A-72DEC14CE001.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
Barber halves aren't to common, good find. Does sound like something coming on and off emi wise. There is probably some silent there, too, when you think the emi is stopped. I guess you just check on it and hunt when you can. Same problem with you F 75 as well? HH jim tn

Well after yesterday I had to go back up there, wouldn’t you?? The heat is coming back on so I waited until the temp started to rescind around 5:30 and headed back up. I decided to stay in the dirt area next to the big sidewalk and work down slope.
Fired up the Legend and all was good so started down slope, nice and quiet and the shade was quite pleasant. Hit a nice deep 46 so hoping silver dime. And now the story begins.
Located center and pinpointer was showing a go so dug full spade down and flipped the plug out. Grabbed the carrot and turned it on and it started vibrating in mid air about 12” above the surface. Tried to go inside the plug but just kept reacting all around the plug. Turned it off and restart, still doing it. For whatever reason I turned it horizontal and it quit, returned to vertical and back to vibrating. Ok, change battery thinking maybe the problem, nope continued. I’m on the edge of entering the EMI Hell Zone so lets see what happens if I go back up to where I was yesterday. SAME PROBLEM 🤬
Decided to cross over the big sidewalk and away from that and see if that makes a difference. Well, detector back to normal so started to hunt there. Immediately locks on 55 and deep, ok…… carrot comes out and starts vibrating. I tried to insert carrot into the plug hoping if I can touch it maybe it would lock on solid, nope. So I made a critical decision to mark the plug and move quite aways out, no use possibly damaging a good target. So far so good, all normal now.
About 15-20 minutes in the detector makes a noise like the automated noise you get on a call “the number you called is not a valid number” type be-de-deep…. Everything all around me went back to normal. I went back to where I was yesterday and all was good. Whatever they were doing up they stopped.
Went back to the 55 plug, still there, redug, pushed carrot in and a solid I’m on it vibration, flipped the plug a bit deeper and out pops a Barber Half Dollar. 😳😳😳
The aliens began another attack so I just moved away and called it good FOR NOW.
If anybody has an answer for this one please enumerate. No chatter on the detector, the carrot was the go to tool.
Other than a couple rim nicks and a gash along her jawline she’s in pretty shape fof 120 yrs old!
Near Perfect condition on that Barber.
Perseverance pays off.
EMI
Are there any military installations within miles ?
Radar near by ?
Any satellite dish's within site? WiFi ?
One of my favorite Beach's is a couple miles across water to a coast guard station on lake Erie.
Every now and then every machine I have with me will go absolutely Crazy. Have no clue what it is.
Though I do know they use milimeter wave scanners to scan ships and boats as they pass.
Just like those used at all border crossings.
Maybe you're problem. Carry for long distances.
Ever try clamping emi beads on your coil wire within a foot of your coil and control box ?
Try one that blocks everything above 100 khz.
Possibly try wrapping the control box with foil.
Aluminum or copper. I've used copper wrapped around electrical outlets to block emi coming from auto light switches. Drove my ham radios nuts.
You can buy shielding metal tapes with sticky backing on Amazon. Though I'd try non sticky until your sure it's helping. Very difficult to remove.
They make Iron foil too. Blocks magnetic fields.
The coil is the primary receiver. Though not properly shielded control units EMI can cause havock.
Ever look inside a Sovereign ?
Lots of shielding in that control box.
Just some thoughts. Hopefully something helps.

Millimeter Wave Scanner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millimeter_wave_scanner

Last edited:
If you had a portable frequency capture counter.
You could possibly locate and know when interference is present.

Presently this is one of my favorite units.
I use this equipment for trouble shooting interference on our remote switching equipment.
And customer's Ham interference.
$130 bucks. Will identify most anything upto 10 GHz . Get this one. You'll Love it. Quite Sensitive.

Some of the best on the market.
I use these. The 10 GHz Scout is sweet.
Though not presently available it seems ???

I have the Explorer.

I have an original pro pointer and I have experienced the same thing several times over the last couple of years.
Mine beeps alternatively at times…. Like two different sounds and pulses going on as you describe… not sure what causes it… usually switching it off then back on solves the issue, but not always.

No military bases within 100 miles, two small airports within 40.

Reading the foil and beads suggestions I was starting to smell a leg puller coming up. If you would have said a folded aluminum hat and galoshes I’d a known for sure!!!!

Nope, didnt even think about turning on the carrot while touching the ground. I did try to detune in the air but that was a long shot anyway.

This is a campus area with a large Administration Building complex. Who knows what evil they have in there to spy on the students……there is very large computer section in the one end for email/records/and other official usage. Im wondering whether that type of interference is actually known by them. Wouldnt that potentially interfere with pacemakers and other medical gadgets??? Cant have a bunch of old tenured profs falling over…….😂😂

Reading the foil and beads suggestions I was starting to smell a leg puller coming up. If you would have said a folded aluminum hat and galoshes I’d a known for sure!!!!

Nope, didnt even think about turning on the carrot while touching the ground. I did try to detune in the air but that was a long shot anyway.

This is a campus area with a large Administration Building complex. Who knows what evil they have in there to spy on the students……there is very large computer section in the one end for email/records/and other official usage. Im wondering whether that type of interference is actually known by them. Wouldnt that potentially interfere with pacemakers and other medical gadgets??? Cant have a bunch of old tenured profs falling over…….😂😂
from the carrot manual....
Fast Retune for Mineralized Ground

To tune out the detection of saltwater, wet sand or highly mineralized

ground, hold the tip of the Pro-Pointer AT to the water, sand or soil and
quick-press the button () for an instant Retune.
If necessary, repeat this Fast Retune to further eliminate any
environmental response. Note: An alternate means of eliminating the

ground response is to reduce Sensitivity.
Precisely Pinpointing Large Targets
Slowly scan toward the object until the response increases to full/constant

alarm. Then quick-press the button to instantly retune and narrow the

detection field. Continue scanning toward the object to find its precise

location. Repeat this Fast Retune to further narrow detection field as needed.

E L M Y

I got that just now, thanks! Not suspecting highly mineralized ground as we’ve been over parts of this before and pretty much know exactly where it is. Whatever this is its something thats being turned on and off. First time tho that I’ve been there where the carrot was effected but not the detector. Once you’ve detuned as described does the carrot remain that way of return to normal after getting turned off?
Seriously, I’m going to see if Facilities Maintenance or someone from Electrical Engineering might visit on site and investigate.

I was expecting the foil hat line. LoL
But really.
The beads Choke. Prevent interfering frequencies from getting into your control box via coil cable.
No joke.
The control box on these and similar units is Quite Small. I doubt they have adequate shielding.
And college campuses.
Have kids whom I consider borderline Evil anymore
It wouldn't take much skills for a bored electronics whiz kid on campus to build a directional interference device.
Just to see you get frustrated.
And possibly to drive you away from an area where possibly he has friends wanting to keep an area for themselves.
I've spent years in surveillance and counter surveillance. Bored individuals can get quite cantankerous. Gaslighting has become a pastime activity for college kids lately.
Seriously.
Try wrapping your control box in foil.
Just for S#ts and giggles.
Take a 1-3" long 16-24 guage piece of steel wire and wrap it around your coil wire a foot from the coil. Making sure end are connected. An RFI Choke.
Try both separately and combined.
Though 100khz beads would be more effective.

I got that just now, thanks! Not suspecting highly mineralized ground as we’ve been over parts of this before and pretty much know exactly where it is. Whatever this is its something thats being turned on and off. First time tho that I’ve been there where the carrot was effected but not the detector. Once you’ve detuned as described does the carrot remain that way of return to normal after getting turned off?
Seriously, I’m going to see if Facilities Maintenance or someone from Electrical Engineering might visit on site and investigate.
Yes
After turning off
And or quick press in the air. Not counting interference.
Carrot Resets to normal.
Quick press near ground recalibrates to mineralization.
Quick press within an inch of target makes it less sensitive to target.
Try it.
Holding coin in your hands.
Away from phone and WiFi.
Quick press a couple inches away.
Notice difference in sensitivity.
Try inch away.
Then try touching coin. It completely goes away.
By the way.
Turn off phone and WiFi on phone.
Also turn off digital data on phone.
These cause interference to detector's.

Last edited:
Just give maintenance a call when you plan to hunt the area and ask them to shut all electrically stuff off for a while. :ROFLMAO: Feel sure they will be understanding! HH jim tn
LoL
I could teach you How to turn them off.
Quite simple actually. 😁😅🤗