Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monsoon Detecting:bouncy:

Sgt. Silverman

I had a comp day coming to me so since I'm on vacation tomorrow and Friday I decided to take it today to go detecting. I did some research on Sunday and Monday and mapped out 10 new tot-lot locations that I wanted to hit. (I try not to go over 30 miles from my house, but things are kind of spread out here for parks)

I checked the weather forecast last night and it did call for rain. Woke up this morning and it was drizzling lightly so I grabbed my Mossy Oak Frogg Togg rain jacket, looked at the rain pants and said, "Nah." 2 hours later I was grinning ear to ear recollecting that poor choice. (My denim cargo pants weighed 30 lbs!) We had flash flooding reports all day for our area and of the 3 hours I was out, most of it was "stinging rain". (Inject Forest Gump voice here for good humor :) )

I didn't care about being wet, in fact, the reason for my post isn't about my finds but more on how awesome it was to detect in the rain. Not sure if any of you have tried it, but it's very peaceful. As I listened to the low hum of the threshold I just talked to God, prayed, sang some songs in my head. (Spirit Fall, We Cry Holy...) It was so relaxing. For me, detecting at the tot-lots when it's raining is the absolute best time because I know I'm not going to bump into anyone. I get the whole place to myself. (I always feel awkward when a mommy shows up with Jr., and that's normally my queue and I pack it up so mom's defenses don't have to be up. Being a dad to 3 kids, that's how I would feel anyway.)

Alissa had given me a see-through shower cap that fit nicely around the X-70 housing so I didn't have to worry about it getting wet and my Frogg Toggs kept the Killer B's completely dry. The finds were meager at best, and alas, it looked like this place had been hit hard recently as most finds were shallow, however with the foil I found, someone's running hot on their disc. which means they overlooked the potential of some thin gold / platinum rings. Hey, I'll dig those signals ALL DAY at a tot-lot!

The drive home was relaxing for the most part, aside from almost getting side-swiped on the highway by a man who was texting... a topic of discussion for another day perhaps.

I hope all of you have a very Blessed, safe and Happy New Year!

Greg

I was smiling as I was picturing metal detect with soaked pants. That is exactly what I did Sunday. You should have seen my nasty wet and muddy wranglers when I got home. We are definitely brothers.

:) Absolutely we're brothers. In fact, I remember we detected in the rain the first part of the day when I came up to see you. As soon as I pulled up to the driveway, I grabbed my gear as it was pouring down and Alissa was watching me from the window. I got to the front door and Al's first words were, "Oh my." :)

Say "Hi" to Loren and Liz for us please and have a Blessed New Year!

I have always said "It's just God, me, and the dirt" I have hunted in the rain a few times but prefer it dry and about 55 degrees! :thumbup:

I had forgot about that. It was raining when you first got here.

Congrats and getting wet just means you are a dedicated hunter of the hidden goodies and a little or a lot of rain won't stop you from seeking the treasure! I went detecting in 20 degree weather one time on a playground (tot lot) and there was ice in the pea gravel....I wondered why it was so cold and found out when I got home that it was 20 degree weather; and I've been detecting in 97 degree weather and wondered why I didn't see anyone else out there but it was terribly hot and tried to stay in the shade most of the time! I've also been very wet from detecting in the rain! Now, was I stupid or what??? LOL! Detecting can be fun no matter the temperature or what kind of weather for God is always there with us! Amen! Ma

admittedly I've not purposely set out to detect in the rain. However I've been caught in it a time or two. I wouldn't mind but, for most of the years I detected, I was recovering from leukemia and being wet and cold would have been a bad experience. Likely I would have ended up in the hospital. The times I did get wet, I immediately climbed into a hot shower and just stood there for a while and ending that with an extra dose of vitamin C.