Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monte & Simplex + & 43° sunny Saturday = Fun!

Monte

Might be my last opportunity for the year as colder weather arrives tonight and will likely lead to more colder days and snow as December draws to a close.

Site? Local park because my three other nearby places are too muddy from recent rain [size=small](and I don't like mud)[/size]. The park was heavily cleaned up and pushed around about 40 years ago, leaving coins mixed at different levels. I've found Wheaties and silver within the top 2" or 3", and Zinc cents and clad and modern nickels in the 4" to 8" depth range. I've been concentrating on more of the open area in the middle of the park to maybe find old stuff from the contouring thy did.

Coil? Until next year's accessory offerings, it will be the stock Simplex + 11" DD.

Search Modes Used? Because I need a little better depth and prefer a slower to comfortable sweep speed and not one that is too brisk. I am mainly using the Filed mode [size=small](when I want the VCO-enhanced audio)[/size] and Beach mode [size=small](when I prefer a non-VCO function)[/size]. I like a 3-Tone, like Park mode, when hunting in a lot of trash or many closely-spaced coins, but mainly with a smaller size coil. Won't have that until next year. Otherwise, in low to modest trash I prefer to use a 2-Tone audio mode because I like to hear the Low-Tone from ferrous debris to alert me it's there and I can then slowly work around to try and find any partially masked keepers.

Preferred Settings? Sensitivity = Max. ... Volume = Max ... Ground Balance = Mainly the Automated setting ... Iron Volume = 1-Bar, or 2-Bars near traffic noise or just using the built-in speaker, in Field mode and non-adjustable so all 3-Bars in Beach mode ... Discrimination = None ... Frequency Shift = F2 [size=small](I never change it unless it is an absolute must)[/size] ... Backlight = 'A' to light up upon target detection.

It's 4:42 AM right now and the Simplex + is finishing its battery charge. Today I'll start logging the 'Run Time' from a fully charged battery as I am curious what to expect from the Simplex + in the future.

This will be another one of my 'Evaluation Days' when I am not taking any other detector along that might tempt me to make a switch. Just working with the Simplex + only since I've been doing a lot of side-by-side comparisons to this point just to get a better 'feel' for what this so-called "Entry Level" device has to offer.

Monte

[size=small]PS: I am also going to use my new Pulse-Dive Pinpointer today and let my trusty Makro Pointer get some rest.[/size]

Monte, I always look forward to your evaluations. Thanks for sharing. Always straight forward and no hype.

I'm with you Monte. When I get a new detector I take only that one out for the same reason. It forces me to learn it.

When I write Monte, I always hold my breath !

Monte, will be looking forward to your report.

My Simplex + arrived on the 27th, the day before Thanksgiving here in the US [size=small](for foreign to the USA readers)[/size] and most of my initial evaluation has been indoors, Bench Testing a number of samples, or I my and Test Bed comparing features and performance with other makes and models. We also have had rain or wind, and received 10" of snow on the 1st which kept hunt areas covered for about a week. So today was the first opportunity for me to take the Simplex + afield for some actual detecting and not just learning and comparing.

Report on Weather and Conditions: It was more cloudy than sunny, and although we briefly warmed into the 40's, it was when we had a 10+ mph W or WNW wind that kept the wind chill about 32° to 36° that I started to cut the hunt short.. Due to a lot of recent moisture from rain that followed and melted the 10" of snow, the low area of the park I had planned to hunt was a little 'soggy,' so I moved a little farther south toward the rodeo grounds. That was fine, too, because it did provide a bit more iron debris for me to deal with, and I like to search in iron-troubled conditions. It would have been better with a smaller-size search coil, but for now I'll live with the round 11" DD standard coil.

Report on Audio Response with Modes Used: The Simplex + did a very good job of responding to nails and other odd ferrous trash with the desired Low-Tone audio, and I heard a very nice higher-tone from the coins [size=small](and some old beaver-tail pull-tabs)[/size] I came across. I was hoping for silver today, but the chilly wind cut down on the 'fun' part of getting out. I will be cleaning four wheat-back pennies tonight along with some additional modern change. By "modern" I am referring to the coins minted after the last year for silver which was 1964. They removed a lot of big older tress from the park and re-contoured it in the latter '70s, as I was told, and all the earth moving mixed coins around at various levels. Most of the coins I found were in the 4" to 8" depth range, but a few recent losses the last several years were at 1" to ±2".

Park mode's 3-Tone audio sounds good to me, but it does need a brisker sweep speed for better performance and I like it in a trashier environment. That also means I'd want to be using a smaller-size search coil than the 11" DD, so I'm holding off on hunting trashier areas, or those with more brush or building rubble, until Nokta / Makro gets some smaller-size accessory coils out for the Simplex +. Hopefully that will, be early next year when we get back to pleasant, more huntable weather. I'll keep hoping for something in the 5" to 7" diameter size-range.

But that was fine Saturday [size=small](yesterday)[/size] because I have been hunting some of these out-in-the-middle park areas for the past coup[le of months and I know that there is a lot of open area with ample spacing between targets, be them good or bad. And since they are not only few-and-far-between but also at deeper-than-typical depths, the Field and Beach modes were going to work the best for me and provide needed depth-of-detection, and also do it with a more comfortable low-to-moderate sweep speed. As I mentioned, I believe, in my original post for this thread, I like the audio responses of both the Field and Beach mode, and in more open areas I prefer to use a good 1-Tone or 2-Tone audio, all based on the amount of Discrimination.

Another reason I like to use the Field and Beach modes is because of their audio response. The Park mode relies on a more processed audio in order to assign the target conductivity range and give the designed-in Tone ID. The Field and Beach mode audio is more of what I call a 'cleaner' or more 'pure' audio that isn't 'processed' like the Park mode. And using the Field and Beach modes still gives Simplex + users a choice between two types of audio. The Field mode has a VCO enhanced response with the VCO ramping up mainly closer to the search coil such as out to roughly 6" or so. The Beach mode, on the other hand, has a nice pure audio and is Non-VCO enhanced. Both have their goods and bads based on what the user likes to hear for the particular site conditions and amount of trash and non-trash and average depths of targets engaged.

To give an example, I hunted an area where I encountered quite a few nails scattered at 1" to 3" deep and it varied from 3" to perhaps 8" from center-of-nail to center-of-nail. I was using the Field mode and noticed that almost all of the nails I encountered were silenced by rejecting the 1st Disc. notch segment and their VDI report was almost always a '4'. I rejected that first prompt in Field mode and the few coins I was able to find in that mess ... being limited by the bigger-size coil ... had a more pronounced and hearable higher pitched audio due to the VCO response on their near-proximity position. Checking, I could still hear them in the Beach mode and Park mode, but an 'edge' in those examples favored the VCO enhanced Field mode. When I moved away from that area I accepted all notch segments again in Field mode.

Report on Corded Headphone Use: I started out using only the built-in speaker because there was no one around to annoy, and also because the wind hadn't picked up. But when clouds moved in and blocked the limited sun and the accompanying wind made it harder to hear ... and my ears were not liking the colder chill ... I then got the ¼" adapter and my corded headphones. Every make and model detector will behave differently based on how they engineered the circuitry in general and via the headphone jack. That's why I like to keep two or three different headphones in my Outfit so I can use the pair that performs the best with the detector I use. I was glad I had my 'back-up' headphones along, too, because that helped make yesterday's hunt much more pleasurable.

Notice my primary-use Headphones in my Signature below? The Gray Ghost XP are exclusively for my wireless XP ORX unit, but the Killer B 'Hornet' is my main-use set of headphones. When preparing for the day and only loading up the Simplex +, I forgot to grab my Killer B's.:nono: I enjoy the headphones I use because they have a 'tank style' ear-cup that covers the ear instead of pressing on it, and that makes them comfortable, plus it helps block outside noise ... and wind!

I did have along a pair of White's Pro Star headphones that I keep in the vehicle in case someone forgets to bring headphones or if I am letting someone use a 'loaner-unit.' This set was/is still in working order and hasn't had the head-band piece snap-off at one or both ear-cups like the last seven or eight sets of Pro Stars have.

I put them on because they do have the 'tank-style' ear cups, but I was already prepared for the less-than-pleasant audio. The Pro Star headphones, when you have a good pair that work, can sound really good with a lot of detectors, but I discovered soon after I got my Simplex + that even though they use 50 Ohm speakers, they are terrible! Way too loud and even, you might say, punishing. Then I remembered my 'back-up' Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones. Yep, I have two pair just to be prepared.:thumbup:

I have a small plastic ammo box that I carry a back-up set of 'Hornets' and extra Pinpointer, plus one or two sets of AA alkaline batteries for a detector, and I remembered I brought it with me to use the Pulse-Dive Pinpointer. My Killer B 'Hornet' headphones use 150 Ohm speakers, but they also have a 'limiter' switch to help deal with loud, shallower targets if needed. With the Pro Star's I have to change the Simplex + Volume Level or turn the headphones volume down a lot. I had tried the Pro Star headphones shortly after getting the Simplex + and the deeper targets were not the problem. It was the shallower targets that are very loud.

It's strange, but with the 150 Ohm Killer B 'Hornet' headphones, the audio responses I get, shallower to deepest, are all very good, easy to hear, and that is at full Volume and with or without using the Limiter switch. I quickly found these headphones to be my favorite with most of my detectors, and my #1 choice to use with the new Simplex +. I'm hearing impaired and headphones that are wimpy or have a more muffled sound just do not work well for me.

So here's a heads-up about headphones. With any detector, be sure to check out more than one headphone model because some just might not sound good to you at all, but another headset might be just fine. I can tell you that the Simplex + has very ample depth-of-detection and really good audio for each of the four modes. So when you add an accessory to the Simplex +, such as headphones, make sure you select the best pair and not fault the detector for something that is not really a detector issue.

Report on Results: I only used the Simplex + a couple of hours Saturday, and only worked the Park mode for maybe 10 minutes or so. The rest of the time was split about 50/50 between the Field mode and Beach mode, and since a lot of the nails and smaller iron discards were shallower, I preferred the Beach mode's Non-VCO audio to the Field mode VCO enhanced response when dealing with both iron and non-iron. In that really close nail and coin site I did favor the VCO of Field mode, but because most of the targets are more scattered, I like the Non-VCO Beach mode. It's a toss-up and, for me, I know I'll use these two modes just about equally.

Because it only takes two button-presses, either direction, to shift from Field-to-Beach and back again, I usually checked most of the targets I located in both modes before recovering them. Both of those modes produced much better responses on the deeper targets than the Park mode, but that was to be expected.

Search coils should be worked ±2" off the dirt for best performance, and that was easy at the park because I just cruised the coil along the top of the grass blades. The Simplex + is very light and well balanced, even with that 11" DD coil. I can't wait to see how it will be with a smaller coil for a day-long adventure afield. In my e-mail to Dilek I did mention what we have already read on a few Forums, and that is users have complained about the 'time-out' limit when making adjustments to different functions.. From an avid user standpoint, the Simplex + is nice because once you have selected the settings you want to use, and turn the device 'Off' in the search mode you prefer to use, it starts back up almost where you left off the next time you use it. The Automated Ground Balance [size=small](pumping the coil about 3-5 times from 6" to 1" from the ground)[/size] was quick and efficient. I intentionally found a couple of problem spots to do a Manual GB and all worked fine.

I did take the Simplex + close to some power lines, but didn't have that much of an EMI issue. At home, however, especially here in my den, I have a lot of EMI. So much so that, while I am glad I do for setting my unit up the way I want it, the noisy behavior can be very annoying. It can leave the impression that this unit doesn't work well or won't get good depth of performance afield. If you have or acquire a Simplex +, don't let that EMI distract you. Take the unit out to a few huntable locations and give it a workout. As my settings described, I started out with all modes set for Full Sensitivity and a time or two I had to drop it down one segment. That was easy to do with the excellent design that has nice buttons for quick access and control.

Oh, I can't forget the unit's Pinpointing ability and display feature. Even though it is an 11" round-shaped Double-D coil, I was able to do some excellent and exacting pinpointing of most coins, unless they were on too much of a canted angle. And I seldom glance at the visual display to see the method they use to show a target's centering, but it was actually kind of fun with the Simplex +. Instead of using a horizontal or vertical graph with lines that fill or decline, this device has more of a 'BullsEye' image and nicely shows you when you get your located target centered. And with most coins in a flat to relatively flat orientation to the search coil, they will pinpoint and be located at, or almost at, the center axis of the search coil.

And to wrap up my comments on Pinpointing, I also used my new Nokta / Makro Pulse-Dive Pinpointer yesterday. I really like it! My Makro Pointer, that I've been using faithfully now for almost 5 years, continues to work just fine and I've never had a problem with it, but I might make a change. I might mount my Pulse-Dive Pinpointer on my gear belt and move my Makro Pointer to be used on 'Quick-Hits' like a tot lot or some other place where I usually don't need my gear belt with pouch and digger. The Pulse-Dive Pointer is just a little longer, but it feels good in the hand, is quick-and-easy to turn On & Off or make adjustments to the target report [size=small](Vibrate, Audible or Both)[/size] or Sensitivity level without having to make a bunch of presses and confusing steps all with one button.

This is just a quick report on how my day went yesterday with the Simplex +, forgetting my primary-use headphones, then remembering I had my good back-up set, and how well the search modes performed for me. My eyes get achy and it takes me a while to type things out, so even though I started this about 10:00 PM last night, I had to get up and take some breaks to wrap this up now. That did, however, let me get my final coins for 2019 cleaned during the night. If you have any particular questions about this new Simplex +, just ask away, here or via an e-mail. I can tell you that I am really pleased to have this device in my Outfit, and it is going to be a regular-travel detector for me in my vehicle and go wherever I go in the future.

Monte

Monte could also be a writer. :) A very long but well written review. I don´t own the Simplex yet,but I´ll buy it when the coil gets smaller.
Monte thanks to you!

Daniel said:
Monte could also be a writer. :) A very long but well written review. I don´t own the Simplex yet,but I´ll buy it when the coil gets smaller.
Monte thanks to you!
I've had a few people stop by my place when it was wintering white stuff on 1st and a couple, of times when it was windy and raining. They only got to see it, handle it and hear it with all the EMI I have in my house. Overall they liked it, but not the noise, and not what seemed like wimpy depth performance. I talked with two of them Friday and Saturday but they were not able to meet up with me yesterday to see how the Simplex + really works in average huntable condition.

Get a Simplex + now and put it to good work. Dilek told us they are working on smaller coils, and we won't know until they finish their development just what size or type they might be. My wish is for a 5" DD and 7" Concentric because they already have the coil housings and just need to determine the best winding for them to get them to work. In the meantime, everyone with a Simplex + and 11" DD standard coil will be out working sites and finding stuff.

As for me, I think I'm going to try and find a week or two get-away time after Christmas to head to a drier and warmer climate just so I can get more wintertime detecting in. :detecting: Keep me limbered up as I can to be ready for ne search coil introduction.:thumbup:

Monte

I had a very enjoyable time using the Simplex + and only wish it would have been warmer and I could have lasted longer out there. I am comfortable with how I have adjusted the settings in each mode of the Simplex so that, like my other makes and models, it is ready to turn-on and get busy searching. I have used the All Metal mode a few times to pre-check an area or to quickly hunt back over an area I finished searching in the Discriminate modes, just to double-check how well I am covering a site. I have it set up to run more on the 'hot' side at maximum Sensitivity and No Discrimination in any Disc. mode so I can "hear-it-all" and make use of the available audio Tone ID to audibly classify ferrous debris fro potential keepers.

If I am working a place where EMI is an issue, then I will reduce the Sensitivity as needed. Otherwise, I keep it as high as possible w/o noise and chatter. I do like the Park mode and 3-Tone audio, but mainly when I am hunting very littered sites, and that means places where a smaller-size coil provides an advantage. So, until we get a smaller coil or two for the Simplex +, I am mainly making use of the Field mode and Beach mode in moderate to minimal trash. I am still trying to decide if I like one a lot more than the other, with the Field mode having VCO and the Beach mode not having VCO.

I spent some time Sunday afternoon just working an area of mixed targets and switching back-and-forth between Field and Beach. I still want [size=small](need)[/size] a smaller coil, but with the stock 11" DD I was comparing detection depth on some buried samples, and also handling with good targets located at different distances from iron nails. I was using my Killer B 'Hornet' corded headphones to deal with wind and noise, and also because I could better discern some of the targets and hear differences in how the Simplex + process the audio report between these two modes.

I like to hear a good 2-Tone Audio to know ferrous debris is in the area, and when it is very plentiful, the Field [size=small](and Park)[/size] mode provide me with Iron Volume to reduce the loudness. But if iron junk is more widely spread out and only occasionally encountered, a full-Volume is something I'm used to from decades of hunting without it. After hunting on Saturday, and then doing more mode-switching comparisons yesterday afternoon, I decided I like both the Field and Beach modes about equally. I kind of favor the different audio 'tone' of the Beach mode on non-ferrous targets, but that's not to say I don't like it in Field mode. I do, but it's just 'different' from Beach mode.

I seemed to switch to Field mode when there were more targets, good and bad, that I was encountering at shallower depths, such as down to ±6" or so. So, Filed and Beach modes definitely are my two favorite search modes, especially in a wide-open park or plowed field, or out on the fringe area of a ghost town or homestead, or old picnic area where targets are more widely spaced. Also where targets can be a little farther from the coil due to being deeper or having to work the coil more elevated due to weeds and grasses, etc.

What I really like about these two modes is that they can work very similar, and with my settings I have a good 2-Tone audio and comparable detection depth, but just a difference between two very good audio signals. That lets me hunt for a while and when I want I can switch to the other mode. No loss in depth and general detection ability, just a change of what I am hearing. I like that, especially with my hearing impairment, because just making that change in audio w/o any loss in performance, just hearing things a little differently, can work to my advantage in the long run.

The other thing I came to appreciate was the results of the 2+ weeks of evaluation indoors and using all modes and settings and working with my Test Samples to compare the Simplex + with other detectors. I have my Nokta and Makro models as well as some from Fisher and Teknetics and Tesoro and White's and XP. I have those models, I like those models and I use those models, and knowing them well made it handy for comparing functions and performance of the Simplex +. I learned a lot so that by the time I headed out to hunt the park on Saturday ,and taking only the Simplex +, I had to appreciate the fact that I don't own an "Entry-Level" detector. Not by today's standard of what we might consider "Entry-Level" and I was reminded yesterday that the Nokta / Makro description of "Entry-Level" was simply a reference to this device being at an Entry-Level price in their own line-up.

Here in the USA from XP we can only buy an ORX or a Deus. That means that, for us, the ORX IS an "Entry-Level" model based on Price. The Simplex + is at an "entry price" to shop for Nokta / Makro detectors. However, it is so well equipped with functional modes and adjustment features, it offers a lot and is more competitive with the other brand's get-serious models and not some 'beginner' or 'starter' model. And it goes beyond features when taken afield because Nokta / Makro have given consumers a versatile detector, just at a very competitive price.

I am so impressed with it that I've decided to thin-out even more of my detector outfit, and it now has a permanent assignment ---- The Simplex + is now my full-time 'Travel Companion' and travels in my vehicle wherever I go. So is my dog, Miss Rikki. Now I just need a name for my detector so I can load-up Rikki and ????

I think I'm going to use the name I suggested to Nokta / Makro for the future simultaneous frequency model. Yep, I think that's it. Watch for future reports of the adventures afield with Monte, Miss Rikki and The Invincible.

Monte

Enjoyed the comments. Ordered my Simplex Fri. night. USPS says it won't be her till next Fri. (Tenn. to Ga.) . I lived out west guess I would get it about Mar. or Apr. As we say down south, "Bless their heart".