Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monte which do you like better the Viquero or the X-Terra

During the past year, I have owned the low-tone Cibola, low-tone Vaquero, high-tone Vaquero, X-Terra 30 and X-Terra 50. The most logical comparison would be the fixed GB on the Cibola and the X-30. And, the manual GB on the Vaquero and X-50. I won't take anything away from Tesoro. The Cibola and Vaquero are both very good detectors. Well balanced, lightweight, easy to operate, excellent depth of detection, great separation of targets, sensitive to small targets etc. I found some nice old coins with mine earlier this year. Seated dimes, quarters and some very deep IH cents. But, I have sold my Tesoros and still own the X-Terra 30 and X-Terra 50. Maybe, as I get older, I am getting spoiled with all the TID and audio tone detectors around today. Among the reasons I prefer hunting with the X-Terras are:
1. Visual TID
2. Target audio tones
3. MUCH long battery life for the $$
4. Faster sweep speed with the X-Terras
5. I would super-tune the C and V when hunting. If I wanted to pinpoint, I would have to readjust the threshold to a tolerable audio level. Then, I would have to super-tune it again to resume hunting. With the X-Terras, to pinpoint, I simply press the pinpoint button.
6. Notch discrimination allows me to get rid of a lot of (s)crap and still hit nickels.

All of these detectors are deep, sensitive and stable. I like the VFLEX technology of the X-Terra 50 and the ability to switch freqs by simply changing coils. (When they become available) Right now, I wish the X-Terras had a smaller coil, like I had on my Cibola and Vaquero. That 5" coil is great for trashy parks and gets unbelievable depth! HH Randy

Nobody buys a detector because of battery life-if they did Fisher would still be making the Impulse with a battery life of 80 to 100 hours. The other things I agree on, but for about $125 more and you can get a Sovereign, with a meter. Granted it weighs more, but the added depth is there.

The one we liked best between the Vaquero and the X-Terra. Not reasons to not buy one or the other. I wasn't saying that battery life was a reason to buy one detector or another. Heck, if I used battery life as a criteria, I sure wouldn't have two XL Pros.
I made comparisons between the Cibola and X-30 as they are both fixed GB. I compared the Vaquero to the X-50 as they are both manual GB. Like I said, with weight, balance, depth of detection, sensitivity, separation being similar between the X-Terra and the Vaquero, I like the X-Terra much better. Not only does it offer a large, easy to read LCD, tone ID, faster sweep speed, easier pinpointing and notch discrimination. But also because I don't have to worry about a single 9-volt battery going dead in 8 - 10 hours. The 4 AA batteries last 36 - 44 hours in my X-Terras. And since you brought other detectors into the mix, for depth of detection, in my soil and the type of sites I hunt, the Advantage hunts as deep as my Vaquero, Cibola, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 50, MXT, Sovereign Elite or my Sovereign GT. It resets between targets faster than any of them too. The Advantage is the only detector I currently have without visual target ID. It is also the least expensive. If I were looking for the most depth of detection for my dollar, I'd go with the Advantage. Not quite as deep as my Explorer. But, alot easier on the shoulder and the pocketbook. Then again, that wasn't the question. HH Randy

Comparative value wise, the Xterras offer considerably more in the way of useable features.....Tone I.D., Visual Numeric VDI, Depth Indication, Separate Speaker vs. Headphone Volume, not to mention notch discrimination. It's really hard to compare them to the Tesoros, though the Tesoros are also excellent machines. But feature wise, the Xterras blow away the Tesoros and offer comparable depth of detection if that is a concern. The more I use this X-30, the more I like it and appreciate all it has to offer. When/if a 5 inch coil is offered, the Xterras will be a hard act to follow for picking out and ID-ing coins in trashy conditions.

Ralph

I should not do this but since we are into this my sleeper pick just may be the ACE250.

Did you get ahold of one of the 250s ? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Sure seems to be alot of bang for the buck, though I think I'd prefer numerical I.D. over the bar indication system that Garrett uses. Numeric read-out on the Xterra is large enough to see from across a football field..... :lol:

Ralph

and as I have said several times, I would like to have seen the X-Terra 50 notches "adjustable" for a more refined target identification. As someone who hunts for old coins in old places, this would allow for more tones and notches for coin targets as opposed to having 3 zones in the ferrous range. Sure, you can watch the meter when you hunt, as you indicate with the Sovereign's high degree of resolution. Logic tells us that you can more closely identify a target with the Sovereign's 550 numbers as opposed to 44 on the X-30 or 45 on the X-50, not including ferrous target IDs. But tone hunting allows a detectorist to cover a lot more turf, because you are not watching the meter. And, for the most part, tone variance is how I use all my machines. Listen for the tone and confirm with the meter.

With that said, I will say that I don't like any detector in a hipmount configuration. Didn't like it on my Fisher 555D back 25 years ago and I still don't like it on my Sovereign, my Advantage or my CoinStrike. Not having access to the control knobs with my right hand only makes detecting more cumbersome. A big plus with the X-Terra is that you can swing the detector and make any adjustments without releasing the handle. I have my Advantage mounted directly under the armrest, just like the Sovereigns. On most detectors, I have found that weight is not the issue. Balance is. Especially on those "all day" hunts. (e.g. Explorer) Moving the control box of the Advantage back under the armrest (just like the Sovereign) makes it very well balanced and easy to handle. However, mounting any detector under the armrest only makes it easier to swing. It still takes both hands to make adustments to the controls. So, for weight, balance and ability to get to the controls, You can't beat the X-Terras.

I'm sure we could debate the benefits of the Sovereign vs Explorer vs X-Terra vs the Advantage until the cows come home. But, we all have different hunting styles and preferences. I happen to like to hunt old fair grounds and picnic grounds that have seen nothing but farm crops for the past 100 years. I need a machine that responds quickly on and between targets, separates trash well, gets good depth of detection, is sensitive to small objects, discriminates well and is comfortable to use. For me, that is not the hipmounted Sovereign. Even though I rescaled the meter to 180 on my Elite, it still hunts to slow for my favorite spots. HH Randy

Ralph,

No but I have given it a lot of thought. I know the X-50 and X-30 are going to be good. I have not used a green detector over the years that would match my Fishers, Whites, or Minelabs so I am hesitant.

A digital number such as 34 is presented as a user friendly reading. If not then we would see a cluster of numbers. A major problem is the inconsistence in the sweeps of the user. Actually we don

the Ace 250. I had owned Garretts for over 30 years and hoped this was going to be a new light-weight Groundhog. I bought one and took it to one of my local modern parks. After 4 hours, I nearly left it there for the kids to play with. It wouldn't separate targets well at all. And the coin tone rang out loud and clear on screw caps, pull tabs and coins. When I located what indicated to be a quarter, I couldn't pinpoint closer than 4 or 5 inches. I swear, I dug a hole (searching for that quarter) that was as large as a dinner plate. After I found the memorial cent at the edge of the hole, (notice memorial cent in edge of hole instead of quarter in center of hole) I realized that this was not the machine I hoped it was going to be. Price was right. Weight was good. Balance was good. But, (in my opinion) depth of detection, separation of targets, discrimination and pinpointing was not nearly what I expect out of my detectors. HH Randy

Good to read as I have wondered about the features and price. If It is as you describe then not much lost and I could let my grandkids play around with it.

Thanks

what do you mean by seperate speaker and headphone volume. all the detectors i use also have that feature.

The Xterras have a memory circuit that remembers the last headphone volume setting. When you unplug the headphones, you can change the external speaker volume + or -, but when you plug the headphones back in, the volume reverts to the last setting you used with the headphones.

Ralph

the folks at Garrett would not work with me on getting it replaced. Even though I had called them to report the problem the day after I got it. Two guys I correspond with bought theirs the same week, from the same dealer as I did. They both had similar problems. They couldn't get Garrett to work with them over the phone either. They drove to Garland and demonstrated the problems to Mary and a couple techs. They both got a refund.

A properly working 250 may be a decent $199 detector for someone who is relatively new to the hobby. But in my opinion, having been a coin shooter for over 33 years, it is not even close to being in the same caliber with the X-Terra for depth, sensitivity, pinpointing or target separation. HH

do you know what the demonstration involved? Laying targets in close proximity etc.?

HH
BarnaclBill