Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More deep field hunting with the BIG coil

azsh07

After having great results in a local hay field I decided to take it to a true test site.

Backstory though. The site I took it to is a cellar hole area in the woods. Now the ground is more mild here with a GB around 63 verses 83 in the hay fields near the coast.

This particular spot has become known as The 2 Sous hord. Back about three years ago we found this cellar hole and while detectimng away from the cellar I ended up hitting quite a few 1769 French Two Sous'. Over the past three years we have dug I think around 60 or so.

Now for those who have no idea what a French 2 Sous is....basically it is a coin with a dubious history. I forget the whole history but basically it is mostly copper with some silver mixed in. The coin was such junk they then started to silver plate them...but that fooled no one. I think they basically tried to pass them off to the colonies since no other country would accept them especially compared to the always reliable Spanish Reale which was the silver standard.

They are a tad smaller in diameter than a US quarter and wafer thin. You can bend one in half with your two hands. They are sadly not worth much..either back then or now. Due to their composition and thin size they ID around pulltab so people pass em up plus they are hard to detect beyond 9".

Anyway we have scoured this patch ( about 15x30 foot) for three years until anything left is deeper than 9-10". The area is fairly full of nails..not loaded but they are everywhere. SO you have to be able to go deep and deal with multile iron targets.

I really only go back when I want to test a new detector or coil combo for depth since I know there are more down there. Since they are a worthless coin I am not worried about getting em all dug...now if it was silver coins well...we would have screened it actually.

Any targets are deep and faint. We hammered it with our F75's and my Sorex both with the stock coils and the 13" Detech. Everything left was deep enough these setups did not give us a reliable enough signal to dig. Which all I want is fairly faint repeatable hits. Just because it falses high once in a while doesn't mean I dig.....because all the iron does that anyway. But if it sounds even fairly decent it was dug.

So back in I went with the CoRe.

Started with the stock coil first to hear if anything stood out. Not much..other then the hundreds of deep iffy iron sounds...pretty much what it was like last year. There was one sorta maybe one but had I not known there were still 2 Sous down there the probability of digging was slim.

Now..put the big coil on. Well...now there was a big difference. The one kinda sorta signal was now definitely a digger. Repeatable but faint from multiple angles....plus I located two more probable targets that stock coil did not give me anything other than an iffy iron hit.

First target I dug was....iron...poop. Sounded like a definite digger but too be fair it was a short deep rusty iron spike.

But the next two well. Both turned out to be 2 Sous...both 11" . Actually the first one was the deepest. I dig a ten inch hole..clean it out by hand and then check the pile. Not there..still in the hole. My minelab pointer was 2" deeper than the end of the handle when it finally hit it and popped it out. Thats impressive on any coin much less a 2 Sous.

The second one was between 10-11 inches. Well deeper than ten as it also was below the handle of my pinpointer but not by much.

Thats pretty impressive. The Detech 13" did not give me any more depth over stock on these 2 Sous and actually I went back to stock as I thought it was better. But this big coil is completely different from everything I can see in the field. I would guess it had an inch over the stock coil on these coins. There was a noticeable difference between how the stock and the BIOG coil hit on these coins.

Last..the target seperation was great..for a large coil. Again it is moderately trashy so you have to go deep AND handle fairly decent iron trash. You can't use a 5" coil anymore...everything is too deep.

that's impressive on a tab type target and an interesting story thanks for the read learn something every day on here :biggrin:

AJ

Awesome to hear that the big coil performs well. You could use emersion silvering to make them silver again and put them all in a little treasure chest to display.

Never thought of that....might try it with a few as it might also help with detail. certainly wont hurt....

Nice find and pretty neat. I would love to find one so if anything, I could say I found a 1769 coin. That is 88 years older then the oldest coin I have found ( 1857 half dime). Don't know if I'll have much luck with that early of a date over here in Oregon. I have used the big coil a bit in a park and was surprised at how nice it is to swing on the Fors CoRe as compared to some other machines with the same size coil. And for a large coil it does really well. It locked on hard to a very small childs ring that I found in the park.

I would like to take it out in some of the older parks around the area and get some more time on it. But its rare I get out of my iron infested sites and haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

Nice report Scott

Azsh07, what program were you using? Di2, Di3, or Gen? Thank you.

Bubba