Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More finds from the iron mine...the most interesting site I have ever hunted

REVIER

Since the 27th of last month I have been spending most of my hunting time at a farmhouse site I call the iron mine.
A million nails of all kinds and sizes, iron wire everywhere and large pieces of iron too, very challenging and most that visit here come here once and never return.
Stubborn ole me, not so much...even though I have been here a lot with different machines and coils without much more than a couple of wheaties to show for it I came out with the F70 a second time and changed from the big DD coil which was not correct for this site to the standard elliptical for the first hunt which worked better and then the 5" DD sniper coil for the rest and is still mounted.
A big difference, and the thing that I firmly believe is what is giving me now a high rate of success plucking out goodies in all this mess is some crazy method I decided to try I call the "Blast Through" method, hunting in all metal with every setting turned up to the max and watching and listening for just a hint of a good signal coming through with higher than iron numbers and hoping to notice them and examine each signal I get further to determine if there really is something masked down there or are these higher numbers just false thrown off by the bigger iron nails and really huge iron that is like a dense carpet at this site.
I have come to find out that others use this method to hunt these iron infested sites too, so I guess I am not as crazy as I thought I was going the opposite way of normal thinking at high disc and low sense.

I find I can't pull myself away from this site and hunt anywhere else right now.
Not only are some of the finds stellar, even the junk and some of the big iron I am pulling up is so very interesting.
I have found that with the few hours of practice I have put in so far I am getting better and better at this method and now I am at the point that I rarely get fooled by the unlimited amount of smaller nails and bits of rusty wire and don't dig any that aren't in the holes I open up to go after other targets, usually 2-3 or more in each hole by the way, it is that dense around here.
I also can avoid most of the bigger nails and all of the huge iron that always throws off false high signals on the perimeter of the area it is laying and I have figured out how to tell the difference.
Now I move slowly and only dig the targets that are not iron, unless I want to dig some of the bigger stuff which I still do sometime because some of it is so cool.

Here is some of the finds that have come out of this place so far and the latest cool targets I found yesterday.
Not pictured are the many older head stamps that are now flying out of the ground for me now that I have gotten better at plucking these out of that bed of iron, and the many old eating utensils, spoons that are silver plate and knives.

Here is some of the interesting iron I dig from time to time when I feel like it.
Also a cool brass plumbing fixture...

The first hunt I pulled more out of this site than I believed possible using this method.

The second hunt I found a merc and an old wheatie in the same hole...with a big rusty nail in that hole, too.
Everyone that has been here thought there might be silver, just so very hard to find it in this place.
Third hunt was short and sweet but I plucked an old pocket knife out of the ground.

Many more personal objects are now showing up including buckles of all kinds.
I discovered the last owner was a real cowboy back in the day so western themed objects make more sense to me now.
I am also up to 4 pocket knives in various conditions...the goal is now to find as many as I can because I just love digging up knives.

The fourth hunt was the most memorable and probably the reason I have to keep coming back here if there is even a chance something else of this class is still hiding here.
Still finding the odd wheatie or two so very possible.

Yesterdays hunt, the latest cool finds.
A nickel pocket watch case back that I believe I have traced back to between 1888 and 1904 from the Philadelphia Watch Case Co.
Early in the year at another site I found a black as coal slip wheel or some call them trench lighter and did a ton of research on it and found out they date back to the 30's and many companies all over the world made versions of this type.
This was a full size pocket model, and after a bunch of elbow grease that brass that I didn't even know was under there came shining through.
Yesterday I knew what this little thing was the second I found it...a miniature version of that bigger lighter and this one is also brass.
I had no idea these things were out there in this size, more research to do.

As you can see I am so interested in what I might find in each and every hole I open it is very hard to even consider hunting somewhere else at the moment.
This blast through method has tamed this nightmare of a site, and I am looking forward to anything and everything I might find before I get bored of this place.

That sure is an interesting site! Keep ransacking that time machine, great finds and post!:clapping:
Mud

I enjoy your post. You make it sound fun. I have a place I hunt like that. I go their when I want to dig everything. Some times I do get a cool find. A lot of rusty cans and nails. Jar lids with nothing inside. Than I go to a tot lot ... KEN

I'd love to hit a site like that. It's like every hole is a historical Easter Egg, and you never know what you'll get. I really like the old insurance plate the the trench lighter! Looking forward to seeing what elese you pull out of this spot.

HH!!