Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More finds plucked from the iron mine...

REVIER

Using this high power, punch through method, well known by others but new to me, is still working to perfection.
In a site so loaded with an imaginable amount of iron and junk I am now able to pluck out good higher number targets at will while avoiding the million nails and dealing with masking problems on just about every target.
The recent change to the faster DE speed on the F70 made a big difference, and now I find that I can do this almost effortlessly using the big DD coil, too.

Old coins are still the main goal, but everything I dig here seems so interesting to me...even some of the iron when I choose to dig it.
Yesterday's short hunt yielded some more great finds that span years from the early 1900's on up.
Who knows...some of these might be even earlier than that.

A head stamp from around 1911
A lipstick tube top.
A compact case with fancy scroll work.
A brass key from the ILCO company from about the mid 60's.
A pocket watch rim from who knows when.
And my 5th pocket knife from a relatively small area just around the area where an old farmhouse once stood.

I love the watch, but after 3 different knives I set a goal to find as many as I could because this site seems to be littered with them.
5 knives in various conditions that gives me a good idea of the vast history of this place, and harkens back to a time when most males carried a pocket knife of some sort and luckily for me tended to lose them, too.

Still practicing this new method, still getting surprised on almost every hole I open.

Congrats on some great finds! I don't have the same detector as you
, but I'm interested in the method you use to punch thru all that iron and what DE means, you mentioned turning up the DE. Perhaps it won't make a difference to me since I have a ctx, still curious and want to learn more! Thanks and HH!

McClod said:
Congrats on some great finds! I don't have the same detector as you
, but I'm interested in the method you use to punch thru all that iron and what DE means, you mentioned turning up the DE. Perhaps it won't make a difference to me since I have a ctx, still curious and want to learn more! Thanks and HH!

This is just a method that is known by others but new to me to use high power to hunt in heavy iron sites, maybe other sites with trash too, to try to get even just a hint of a good signal in crowded sites like that.
In a severely dense iron infested site I have been practicing this method and I have managed to pluck some great targets as I have gotten better at this technique.
Like anytime you attempt to learn new things...practice makes perfect.

Nothing is solid here, everything is masked or has skewed signals due to all the iron, but I look for good tones and blocks of high and other semi-repeating non iron numbers and not just the normal solid signal with a single VDI number that doesn't jump much like at normal sites.
Keith Southern uses this at relic sites, Rocket Tom has written about it using the F70/F75/T2 platform units, and a member on another forum said he read about this in one of my posts and used it to find this 18k vintage beauty in a can slaw field near a parking lot with an AT Pro...so it seems to work with other brands, too.

Here are a few hunts and my progression and the finds I have dug at just one site where an old farmhouse was knocked down with a huge amount of iron big and small, and about a million nails.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2087664,2088000#msg-2088000

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2088263,2088263#msg-2088263

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2088609,2088609#msg-2088609

Several have hunted here in the past with little success...once.. myself included with several detectors and coils, but I had no luck till I tried this method...finally.
Using smaller coils I was successful, with this change to the faster processing DE speed I am now able to pluck out the good stuff using even the large DD coil.

There is one thread missing from that list above that was somehow wiped out off the forum for some reason.
That one featured one of the greatest coin finds I have had to this point.
I had found a merc and an old wheatie in one hole with a big iron nail my second time at this site so I knew then this method works, but 2 hunts later also at this site and in a hole with and surrounded by iron I found this...

I call it punch through because that seems what it does...punch through obstructions or at least get a signal to to go around them a bit, maybe process those signals a bit more even with other metal very near and still get a piece of some better targets.
Like always, it works best when you really understand your chosen detector so you can tell when it tries to let you know there is something else down there buried in the ground besides garbage, trash and junk.

Revier, thank you very much for the great explanation and info!!! I'll check out your videos, thanks for posting them as well, I appreciate your help and info!!! Thanks and HH!

Don