Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Morning hunt after more than three years.

dahut

I got a wild hair and hit the local park this morning.
I haven't been detecting in well over three years, so it was a bit of a re-learn.
I turned the unit on and just started out with the previous settings:

Now, I don't know where I last used my detector, but I'm guessing it was a clean field or woods.... The previous settings were WAY too hot for a foil laden tot lot!

This park is an overlay, too, meaning soil and sand over native earth. It was the site of an older home, also, so deep iron was driving me nuts.
After a bit, I found the broom was more manageable at lower SENS levels and reduced threshold I don't notch or discriminate, relying on the units multi tones to help. It still wanted to hit on deep screw caps and iron, though, but not as bad and I could determine these with a bit of digging and pinpoint work

Managed to scoop a few clad keepers -

Usual suspects to the left, gleanings right.
Considering the 100+ years of the surrounding neighborhood, I was a little disappointed to find nothing vintage.
But it happens that way.

Welcome back Dahunt wondered where you went too.
Good start in to getting back into the hobby.

Thanks, Joel. I got kinda burned out, and there was a move and some marital discord thrown in to round out my erstwhile departure from the hobby.
But, I really enjoyed myself this morning. I'm thinking I can probably let detecting become part of a sort of hobby quadfecta:

fishing
gardening
detecting
cycling

I suppose too many hobbies are better than none! :detecting:

Nice finds for your first detecting after such a long absence. I remember you from when I first started with the avatar photo of the kid smoking. Welcome home.

Thanks fongu, it really is like a homecoming, ain't it?
This Garrett forum has always felt that way, to me.
I'm already contemplating a backup detector, if you can believe it!
It's like riding a bike, I reckon - you never really forget.

Thanks again